Options

Atum by the Smashing Pumpkins

lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
Hey there. I just received my box set of ATum with 4 discs and 5 singles. It is a lot to digest. I have currently listened to Act 1 and 2. i have also listened to the singles. It is a quality package. I am enjoying it more than i thought i would after hearing the streaming version. This album needs to be cranked. It is a wonderful recording and the singles are all mono and sound fantastic as outtakes. Please share your thoughts good and bad on what you think of this ambitious project. Thanks. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

Comments

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,238
    Agreed it’s a lot to digest/ I’ve been listening on and off to acts 1 and 2 and just started dabbling in act 3. I have the capabilities to listen to music all day at work and will be doing a full listen next week. Say what you will about Billy but he pushes his own envelope and hits more than he misses.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    Just got my cd in last week. Been enjoying it. Listened to the podcast, but I’m enjoying hearing the music on my own and all in one go. Would love to hear the 10 extra songs (enjoyed Scimitar on the podcast).
  • Options
    Just got my cd in last week. Been enjoying it. Listened to the podcast, but I’m enjoying hearing the music on my own and all in one go. Would love to hear the 10 extra songs (enjoyed Scimitar on the podcast).
    The singles are surprisingly good for b-sides. They sounded good at first listen and are still going strong on second listen. I wish i had a way to send you the files but my setup is all analog. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Appreciate, but based on the language on the site, I think he’ll make them available in 2024. Thanks though!
  • Options
    RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    The singles are all part of Shiny 3 which is why there's a different vibe to them. Zodion At Crystal Hall is what it's been referred to. If I recall correctly there's 6 songs from the album and 4 b-sides on the singles. Couldn't tell you which are which though. Haven't heard any yet other than the one on the podcast but looking forward to when they get released.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
    The singles are all part of Shiny 3 which is why there's a different vibe to them. Zodion At Crystal Hall is what it's been referred to. If I recall correctly there's 6 songs from the album and 4 b-sides on the singles. Couldn't tell you which are which though. Haven't heard any yet other than the one on the podcast but looking forward to when they get released.
    i need to look into this chapter. thanks

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    given that Billy releases so much goddamn music, I try my best to give his releases everything I've got. I just can't get into this. I've read fans say that Act 3 is much better than 1 and 2. I'll try the whole thing again this weekend with headphones on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    i am, however, interested in the box set exclusive tracks. He seems to have a tendency to leave the best unreleased (at least for me). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    There's some good stuff on this, I dig a few of these songs. Gonna pass on this one for vinyl, I just don't think I will listen to each side all the way through enough. Hopefully we get Machina reissued next now that this record is out. Kudos to Corgan, dude is still getting it done and keeping creative....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    zwan box set is coming soon apparently. 60-some unreleased songs that Billy is finally "ready" to release. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    I hate it. It's hot synthesized garbage, on top of the hot synthesized garbage that was CYR.

There are maybe 4 or 5 of the 33 songs that are worth it, IMO.

I love the Pumpkins. They are my second favorite band after PJ, and their music will always be part of the soundtrack of my life.

That being said, for him to call this a sequel to MCIS is a spectacular insult to MCIS, which is top-to-bottom perfect, and a lesser insult to Machina, but still an insult nonetheless.

Barely any guitars. He's so underrated as a guitarist that he might actually be overrated.

And he's got the best drummer this side of Bonzo and Keith Moon at his disposal, in Jimmy Chamberlin, and JC is largely on the sidelines, except for Intergalactic.

His singing style has also changed for the worse. I know he said he had to change because his old style was killing his voice, but it's tough to make out most of what he's saying on Atum, between his enunciation and the fact that his vocals are fairly low in the mix.

I get that bands need to evolve and shake it up once in a while. But Shiny Vol 1 was pretty good, IMO. CYR might have been semi-tolerable if it was a one-off. But this is a horrible new direction. He's said recently that the new stuff will be more guitar-driven. We'll see.

That's another thing. 53 songs in 3 years, 63 including the ATUM extras. And another new album on the way. And the Zwan extras. And the Machina reissues. Plus the NWA. Plus Madame Zuzu's. Plus two young kids. He needs to chill out and relax lolol.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    I hate it. It's hot synthesized garbage, on top of the hot synthesized garbage that was CYR.

I love the Pumpkins. They are my second favorite band after PJ, and their music will always be part of the soundtrack of my life.

That being said, for him to call this a sequel to MCIS is a spectacular insult to MCIS, which is top-to-bottom perfect, and a lesser insult to Machina, but still an insult nonetheless.

Barely any guitars. He's so underrated as a guitarist that he might actually be overrated.

And he's got the best drummer this side of Bonzo and Keith Moon at his disposal, in Jimmy Chamberlin, and JC is largely on the sidelines, except for Intergalactic.

His singing style has also changed for the worse. I know he said he had to change because his old style was killing his voice, but it's tough to make out most of what he's saying on Atum, between his enunciation and the fact that his vocals are fairly low in the mix.

I get that bands need to evolve and shake it up once in a while. But Shiny Vol 1 was pretty good, IMO. CYR might have been semi-tolerable if it was a one-off. But this is a horrible new direction. He's said recently that the new stuff will be more guitar-driven. We'll see.

That's another thing. 53 songs in 3 years, 63 including the ATUM extras. And another new album on the way. And the Zwan extras. And the Machina reissues. Plus the NWA. Plus Madame Zuzu's. Plus two young kids. He needs to chill out and relax lolol.

Shiny 1 and Atum have a good number of tracks that are pretty decent. I am definitely interested in hearing the box exclusives since I've seen comparisons to the acoustic side of Zwan. Cyr wasn't for me at all though. For the latest project, I think if the took the best parts of songs and put them together to make a more condensed album that might help. Or perhaps just focusing on 10 instead of 40. The vocals buried in the mix under layers and layers of guitars was always a draw for me and I even liked the more poppy 1979 or electronic experimentation on Eye. It doesn't have to be a complete rock album for me to enjoy it but a lot of the output just isn't my cup of tea. And agree about Jimmy... he's such a fantastic drummer and being completely underutilized.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:

Shiny 1 and Atum have a good number of tracks that are pretty decent. I am definitely interested in hearing the box exclusives since I've seen comparisons to the acoustic side of Zwan. Cyr wasn't for me at all though. For the latest project, I think if the took the best parts of songs and put them together to make a more condensed album that might help. Or perhaps just focusing on 10 instead of 40. The vocals buried in the mix under layers and layers of guitars was always a draw for me and I even liked the more poppy 1979 or electronic experimentation on Eye. It doesn't have to be a complete rock album for me to enjoy it but a lot of the output just isn't my cup of tea. And agree about Jimmy... he's such a fantastic drummer and being completely underutilized.
    I totally agree that Jimmy is being criminally underused on the most recent albums. I don't consider this a sequel to MCIS at all musically but thematically with the story of Zero or Shiny or whatever he is called nowadays. the singles are hinting at an interesting direction. more band oriented and less synth drivin. SP are also my fave band behind PJ. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
    RoeDawg13 said:
     And agree about Jimmy... he's such a fantastic drummer and being completely underutilized.
    Here's part of Jimmy's statement from when he left in 2009. I'm hoping that the recent stretch of Pumpkins output doesn't push him out again.

"I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don't fully possess. I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not. I can't just, 'Cash the check' so to speak. Music is my life. It is sacred."
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
     And agree about Jimmy... he's such a fantastic drummer and being completely underutilized.
    Here's part of Jimmy's statement from when he left in 2009. I'm hoping that the recent stretch of Pumpkins output doesn't push him out again.

"I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don't fully possess. I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not. I can't just, 'Cash the check' so to speak. Music is my life. It is sacred."
    If he leaves again, then Billy might as well call it quits on the Pumpkins. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    RoeDawg13 said:

At one point in the podcasts Billy mentioned that one of the intentions(?) of including so much material was that in this day and age of playlists if one is fan of a particular version of the band they can probably find 10 or so songs that would fit their bill (and thus give them an album’s worth of songs). A different version of throw it all at the wall and see what sticks, lol?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    was never intended to be a musical continuation or compliment to MCIS. It was meant as a continuation story of Shiny. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely a continuation of Shiny. It really seems like he retconned MCIS into Machina and ATUM. Not sure that was his initial plan with MCIS based on what he’s said in the podcast.
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely a continuation of Shiny. It really seems like he retconned MCIS into Machina and ATUM. Not sure that was his initial plan with MCIS based on what he’s said in the podcast.
    i still don't think Mellon Collie was a concept album. Machina def was. i think he is just using the ZERO character as the connection. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I agree. MCIS just feels like a strong double album full of thematically linked songs. Definitely seems to deal with his childhood and how he feels about that, but not really a concept album in the sense of telling a full story with characters.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    I tried listening to ATUM several times and got through disc one and then gave up. I never liked Shiny but I absolutely love CYR. I do wish they'd get back to more guitar-oriented stuff. They've been such an uneven band. 
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,843
    Got my grubby mits on this today and played disc 1 so far. I like what I hear apart from the last-but-one track. Looking forward to playing this a few more times before moving on to the rest of it.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    I listened to the whole thing in one day. I need to go back to listen again. so much to take in. 

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    I did my part to make sure there was at least one copy available.....

you're welcome.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    a guy on the fan group on FB sent me the bonus tracks. I've listened twice, and blech. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RoeDawg13 said:

At one point in the podcasts Billy mentioned that one of the intentions(?) of including so much material was that in this day and age of playlists if one is fan of a particular version of the band they can probably find 10 or so songs that would fit their bill (and thus give them an album’s worth of songs). A different version of throw it all at the wall and see what sticks, lol?

I suppose that's a way to look at it. I still like to do the full albums when I can and it's a little bloated that way.
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    RoeDawg13 said:

interesting, as that's a complete 180 from the Teargarden project idea. Which I preferred. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
    RoeDawg13 said:

I suppose that's a way to look at it. I still like to do the full albums when I can and it's a little bloated that way.
    I’m with you on tending to listen to full albums and after two listens to ATUM I agree that it feels a bit bloated, though I can only think of one or two songs that were duds to me (though I think they still fit in terms of the full work).

RoeDawg13 said:

interesting, as that's a complete 180 from the Teargarden project idea. Which I preferred. 
    Another thing that came across in the podcasts was how he’s mellowed in regards to the different types of fans are out there (even the “siamese zombies”, lol). Thus he gets that some fans just want the rock Pumpkins and not everyone’s up for all the ups and downs of the full Pumpkins experience, lol.

One thing that’s struck me about ATUM, when looking at it as a concept album, is the lack of recurring musical motifs (a la Floyd’s The Wall), at least to my untrained ears. I’m probably wrong (again, untrained ears and being too lazy to actually confirm my theory, lol) but it seemed to me that was something that was present on CYR and I thought it helped tie that album together.

My only other possible beef with ATUM so far is the lack of full lyrics in the liner notes, though these days that’s less of an issue since they can surely be found online, lol.

• Options
    RoeDawg13 said:
    RoeDawg13 said:

I’m with you on tending to listen to full albums and after two listens to ATUM I agree that it feels a bit bloated, though I can only think of one or two songs that were duds to me (though I think they still fit in terms of the full work).

RoeDawg13 said:

Another thing that came across in the podcasts was how he’s mellowed in regards to the different types of fans are out there (even the “siamese zombies”, lol). Thus he gets that some fans just want the rock Pumpkins and not everyone’s up for all the ups and downs of the full Pumpkins experience, lol.

One thing that’s struck me about ATUM, when looking at it as a concept album, is the lack of recurring musical motifs (a la Floyd’s The Wall), at least to my untrained ears. I’m probably wrong (again, untrained ears and being too lazy to actually confirm my theory, lol) but it seemed to me that was something that was present on CYR and I thought it helped tie that album together.

My only other possible beef with ATUM so far is the lack of full lyrics in the liner notes, though these days that’s less of an issue since they can surely be found online, lol.
    the boxset came with a lyric book with explanations for the songs and how they fit the story of Shiny. was this not included in the regular 4 disc set?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    RoeDawg13 said:
    RoeDawg13 said:

RoeDawg13 said:

the boxset came with a lyric book with explanations for the songs and how they fit the story of Shiny. was this not included in the regular 4 disc set?
    I only bought the lowly(lol) cd version which has brief descriptions of what’s happening story-wise but no lyrics. #firstworldproblems lol