new, perhaps faulty stereo reciever

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey paco, mig, ex etc...

i got a semi used stereo reciever from a friend. he said nothing was wrong with it when he used it.

it s8 ohms (not sure if that matters but it might)...

Everytime i turn it on, dvd, cd dont need to be playing but as soon as there is some power, the woofer in the left speaker starts to shake and pulse violently. if the volume, most notably, the bass gets too loud (and im not talking ghetto blasting loud) the system just shuts off.

its not the speakers as i tried both speakers out of the left channel of the receiver. Im not sure if its a faulty channel, or the ohms dont match...i didnt tihnk i twas that important to match it with speakers....

but im an idiot. thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sounds like it could be a loose internal connection or soldier joint somewhere.

The channel could also be faulty. Try running the balance all the way over to the right.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Sounds like a short somewhere.
    It's nothing to do with the Ohms.

Try jiggling the speaker leads where they connect to the amp. Sometimes a loose connection will do that, but it sounds like an internal short or bad component in there somewhere, especially if it's shutting off. That's the overload tripping.
    Sometimes even spraying tuner cleaner on the speaker lead connections at the back of the amp works. If the connector is corroded and old and full of dust, it'll pop.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    62strat wrote:
    Sounds like ill need to bring it in somewhere. I took off the back and ttook a peak inside, but nothing that i could see was loose, wires or the like...

clean the speaker jacks and maybe try a different speaker wire to each speaker, make sure you're getting a good connection. the speaker wire could be shorting on something.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    yea i switched the wire, and it only happens out of the left channel speaker. So im 100 % the wspeaker wire is working. Ill try cleaning em out....

Does radioshack do repairs on this stuff? i rather stay away from best buy.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    62strat wrote:
    yea i switched the wire, and it only happens out of the left channel speaker. So im 100 % the wspeaker wire is working. Ill try cleaning em out....

Does radioshack do repairs on this stuff? i rather stay away from best buy.

Yeah, they should, I usually use tuner cleaner and lubricant it's this blue stuff but you can probably just use some lectra clean or something like that.

Radio Shack carries all that stuff. I think, if not, a small electronic repair shop will.
  • Man, I don't know about Radio Shack.

Try a TV and Radio repair shop. Maybe they can help. There aren't many of them around much, but they do exist in bigger cities.
    I haven't had to repair anything lately, but when my old Fisher tube receiver blew, my guitar amp tech fixed it. Maybe try one of them, if you know someone.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Try a TV and Radio repair shop. Maybe they can help. There aren't many of them around much, but they do exist in bigger cities.
    I haven't had to repair anything lately, but when my old Fisher tube receiver blew, my guitar amp tech fixed it. Maybe try one of them, if you know someone.

http://www.webervst.com Use the Find a Tech in your Area feature.

it's cool.