why does my guitar keep going out of tune?

orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i just got an acoustic guitar last week....i tuned it....went away for the weekend....left it standing upright in the case....get home yesterday only to find that its out of tune again. whats the deal with this? any help is greatly appreciated.
Jam out with your clam out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    new strings probably. they stretch quite a bit before the tuning stabilizes. and even then, it's always going to go a little flat over time.
  • exhausted wrote:
    new strings probably. they stretch quite a bit before the tuning stabilizes. and even then, it's always going to go a little flat over time.
    and is it just me, or do acoustics go out of tune way more than electrics?

:confused:
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    neenerbean wrote:
    and is it just me, or do acoustics go out of tune way more than electrics?

:confused:

perhaps because they generally have heavier strings. mine are pretty stable but i use coated strings and rarely change them because of it.
  • Not to mention a lot more flex in the wood...

It's rare to find a guitar that will hold tune for more than an hour, even not being played. Also, minute temperature changes will affect tuning... if it gets colder, you will actually go sharp (the strings will tighten more than the wood).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Not to mention a lot more flex in the wood...

It's rare to find a guitar that will hold tune for more than an hour, even not being played. Also, minute temperature changes will affect tuning... if it gets colder, you will actually go sharp (the strings will tighten more than the wood).

interesting.........so how often should i change strings?
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    long red wrote:

Depends on how much you play it. Basically strings get dull sounding and dirty looking. You should really change them just before that happens. If your not playing much they could last months if you look after them and your guitar.

Don't expect your guitar to stay in tune for days and then come back and it to still be in tune. Like someone said minute changes in temperature cause the strings and the wood that makes up the neck/body to expand and contract by tiny amounts causing the strings to go out of tune. Tune it before you play and then during when ever its needed. As long as it holds it tuning whilst being played for a good amount of time then its ok.
  • long red wrote:

I change electric strings once every three months if I'm not playing it a lot, and once a month if I'm playing it a lot. And always before a big gig.

Acoustic strings, I change every three or four months, regardless of how much I play it (which is always a lot). I use D'Addario EXP coated strings on acoustic, which buys me some extra time; I used to play regular strings, and replaced them every month or two.

The big things with string life is exposure to water, salt, and oil from the atmosphere and from your skin/sweat. If you play a lot, and you play for long periods of time, the strings will get a lot more corrosive sweat and skin oil, and that will shorten string life a lot. People who play every night for two or more hours (like PJ) will likely replace their strings every day.

Just look for build-up and discoloration, which is usually a lot more obvious on the wound strings (although the unwound strings will corrode and turn black, too). If you notice that your guitar sounds especially dull and lifeless, it's also a sign you need new strings.

Then again, I like the mellower sound of worn strings on an acoustic...
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    humidity, temperature, new strings - any of these can make it go out of tune. with regards to humidity, get a sound hole humidifier, itll make the wood age well.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • my acoustic goes out way less then the electric, from bending and using wammy way more generally, like if i play a song that uses those techniques, then i almost definately have to tune it, playing shows its fucked cause i only have one gutair to use and if im playin 2 songs, i generally will have a wacky one, so i try to do it last.
    But you break like a little girl.
  • Tremolos are the worst for keeping a guitar in tune. The best thing you can do is make sure your tremolo springs are tight, and there are enough springs (three is a magic number) to return it to the right position. But you'll still have problems...

The only good solution is either a Bigsby-style tremolo, or a Floyd Rose-style locking tremolo. Or no whammy at all.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    Bigsby are the worst! The strings tend the get caught as the are dragged over the saddles then never return. That's why a Fender Vibrato is so good as it's the bridge and not the strings that move. If you have a good guitar with a good set up and well lubricated nut...then a trem should stay in tune fine...my PRS Santa SE is great apart from one string which stays sharp...but I will get a graphite nut or just get the current one recut to solve that.
  • Tav wrote:
    Bigsby are the worst! The strings tend the get caught as the are dragged over the saddles then never return. That's why a Fender Vibrato is so good as it's the bridge and not the strings that move. If you have a good guitar with a good set up and well lubricated nut...then a trem should stay in tune fine...my PRS Santa SE is great apart from one string which stays sharp...but I will get a graphite nut or just get the current one recut to solve that.

I agree that the Bigsby itself is kinda funky... but good saddles can help a lot. There are other versions that are similar to the Bigsby design that are a lot better.

PRS nuts are supposed to be pretty good... nobody knows what they're made out of, but they've got a great reputation. I'd look at getting it filed, I doubt they spend as much time on the details (like nut slots) on the SE models. You could also put a dab of nut lubricant in each slot to help...

I'm just not a tremolo guy, myself...
  • you might need to tighten the tuners them selves or use a different gauge. if their metal tuners their should be a screw were your fingers grip it. tighten that and it might be allright.
  • mawdmawd Posts: 9
    long red wrote:
    i just got an acoustic guitar last week....i tuned it....went away for the weekend....left it standing upright in the case....get home yesterday only to find that its out of tune again. whats the deal with this? any help is greatly appreciated.

As a general rule...guitars don't go out of tune....strings do....spend a bit of time and stretch your strings in....stretch untill they won't stretch anymore.....
    MAWD
    Regards.....MAWD
  • quapquap Posts: 27
    are you sure you put on strings properly?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRpcT11-tE&mode=related&search=
  • Wow, almost a two year old thread! I hope he has it figured out by now! :D

Now's the time to humidify your guitars, too! If you live where it's cold and the heat is on, your acoustic will dry out. Even worse is the change in humid to dry to humid to dry. Wood and glue joints don't like that.
    Changes in humidity will put that sucker out of tune, but worse, a dried out guitar will shrink and the neck usually will tilt backward, bodies can crack.

I used to buy those tube humidifiers for like 10 bucks, but now I try to keep a humid room for them all, but even quicker and the cheesy but elegant method, buy some little kitchen sponges and put one in a ziplock bag with a little water, punch a couple of holes in the bag and keep it in the case not touching the guitar.

haha,, this public service announcement was brought to you by;
    A glass of wine! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart