Relic-ed Guitars

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,167
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have seen several companies that are making relic-ed guitars the last few years, most notably Bill Nash's company. A friend's uncle owns the music store that sells the most Nash's in the US and my bass player and lead guitarist in my band both have Nash guitars. I have played over 40 of Nash's guitars and I love the way they look, play and sound, but Nash only makes Fender models. I have thought long and hard about getting a Nash tele or strat but I have never been a Fender kind of guy. I have an american strat that is a dust collector, i only play it on 3 songs when we gig. I have always played les pauls and SGs exclusively.

I have seen a few of the faded series SGs that have been "reliced" at the factory and I am unimpressed with them.

I would love to get a beat to hell 335 or les paul and I was wondering if anyone knows of any companies that are taking parts and relicing any gibson models like les pauls or 335s like Nash is doing with Fenders?
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just get one in any condition and throw it around in the street until it looks relic'd enough for you.

Never really seen the point myself, but each to his own.
    Brixton Academy, London: 14/07/93
    Wembley Arena, London: 29/10/96
    MEN Arena, Manchester: 04/06/00
    Air Canada Centre, Toronto: 05/10/00
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf: 21/06/07

Brad: Phoenix Theatre, Toronto: 31/10/02
  • What is the point of having an factory beat up guitar? Wouldn't you rather play it and put all the damage on it, yourself.

There is something cool about a "broken in" guitar, but if you are gonna go that route, buy used, imo.
  • The faded series Gibsons are really a cheaper finish, not an aged version.
    Gibson do a shitload of aged LP's. All teh current series of HIstoics come as VOS, vintage original specifications, whichis marketting code for lightly aged look. You can get a full on aged "murphy", and ther a bunch of companies that do parts aging.
    Git'yor ass on over to teh Enablers Den othrewise known as http://www.lespaulforum .com and you will find all the info you need about aging etc.
    Personally , I find hte buger hard enought to keep micky smicky meself, and wold not be inclined to buy a Murphy, th9ough the VOS is pretty nice,. They polish up pretty qick anyhoo.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • The faded series Gibsons are really a cheaper finish, not an aged version.
    Gibson do a shitload of aged LP's. All teh current series of HIstoics come as VOS, vintage original specifications, whichis marketting code for lightly aged look. You can get a full on aged "murphy", and ther a bunch of companies that do parts aging.
    Git'yor ass on over to teh Enablers Den othrewise known as http://www.lespaulforum .com and you will find all the info you need about aging etc.
    Personally , I find hte buger hard enought to keep micky smicky meself, and wold not be inclined to buy a Murphy, th9ough the VOS is pretty nice,. They polish up pretty qick anyhoo.

thanks for the info everyone.

yeah that murphy stuff is outrageously expensive. i was just wondering if any company was taking leftover gibson parts and putting them together like these other companies do with the fender stuff.

i am not going to beat up my own les pauls on purpose, as i have about $7000 in them at this point. i might have to just buy a used neck and body and build from there and see what i can come up with.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • thanks for the info everyone.

yeah that murphy stuff is outrageously expensive. i was just wondering if any company was taking leftover gibson parts and putting them together like these other companies do with the fender stuff.

i am not going to beat up my own les pauls on purpose, as i have about $7000 in them at this point. i might have to just buy a used neck and body and build from there and see what i can come up with.

Yeah, there are companies like RS, Pigtail etc that do that. Try stewmac for aged parts. AT teh forum there are guys who will tell you how to artificially age parts, by bathing them in muriatic acid etc.
    Fenders are easier to make up stuff with cos of the bolt-on neck. Gibbo's are a different story because of the set neck, so you really have to start with a complete guitar, and then age teh parts and the finish. Something liek a Vintage MAhogany is a cheap place to start.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • put some cig burns in a new one and be happy
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me