Immortality 7": from the album "Life"?

starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
I was going through some stuff and I never noticed this on the immortality 7"... was Vitalogy originally going to be named "Life" or something?  Apparently it doesn't make it rare or anything it seems to be on every one that was pressed. I thought somebody here might have an answer.

Comments

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,806
    Yes, I think the album was originally going to be called Life before the switch to Vitalogy.

Guess they had a hard time with albums back then! The initial pressing of Vs. was self titled due to indecision over the album name. I think one thought was 5 Against 1? My cd copy of Vs. is actually self titled as Pearl Jam.
  • RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 910
    edited May 2023

Post edited by Robbert on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited May 2023
    Yes, I think the album was originally going to be called Life before the switch to Vitalogy.

Guess they had a hard time with albums back then! The initial pressing of Vs. was self titled due to indecision over the album name. I think one thought was 5 Against 1? My cd copy of Vs. is actually self titled as Pearl Jam.
    I remember the first run of Vs CD were self titled. They didn't change it until after they pressed (burn? whatever you call it for a CD) them. I think it also had a non-standard jacket too maybe? I think I remember it not lining up perfectly on my CD rack. Maybe that was just Vitalogy. 

Bigger question is, why does the spell check on the PJ forum always say "Vitalogy" isn't a word?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    edited May 2023
    I kind of always assumed they struggled with naming the record. I heard Jeff the other day on XM radio say they argued about Riot Act and just settled on it. I always assumed Avocado (the real self titled) was they couldn't come up with a good one. Same with LB, the only album named after a song. Backspacer was named after a turtle they sponsored, probably not much thought there.

But I never heard about Vitalogy being Life. Thanks for sharing. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    Wikipedia:

Packaging[edit]

The original title for the album was Life. The first single, "Spin the Black Circle", was released before the album was released, and on the back of the single it states: "From the Epic album Life".

Never knew.

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842
    The early cassette of Vs. has it titled as Five against One. Some were made before the change to vs.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,806
    mace1229 said:

I remember the first run of Vs CD were self titled. They didn't change it until after they pressed (burn? whatever you call it for a CD) them. I think it also had a non-standard jacket too maybe? I think I remember it not lining up perfectly on my CD rack. Maybe that was just Vitalogy. 

Bigger question is, why does the spell check on the PJ forum always say "Vitalogy" isn't a word?
    Yeah, my Vs. cd is a weird “digi pack” format. Mostly cardboard with a plastic inlay to hold the disc.

Backspacer is named after the backspace key on vintage typewriters that Ed uses. But they did name their sponsored sea turtle Backspacer prior to announcing the album name, destroyed all the other turtles in that race! I did a 2 week project with my 5th graders tracking the turtles daily, creating line graphs to show progress and doing a whole science project on human effects on beaches and how that effects sea turtle nesting sights. My students did not understand my enthusiasm about Backspacer winning the turtle race!
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Thanks.