and speaking of signature guitars....

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,167
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
has anyone seen the new gibson dave grohl signature 335?? this thing looks incredible. its pretty much an updated trini lopez with burstbuckers and a stopbar tailpiece instead of a trapeze.

i have always wanted a 335, and the other guitarist in my band has a trini which plays and sounds incredible. i am trying to decide if i should get one of these or should i put the money towards an older 335. my other concern is will the burst bucker pickups clean up at all or are they pretty hot and distorted? i use a single channel matchless and rely on my neck pup volume rolled back for cleans and my bridge for distortion.

have a look....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Dave-Grohl-Signature-SemiHollowbody-Electric-Guitar?sku=515608
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    They are very nice guitars. Were you looking at the ebony or the blue one? The color of the blue one in the link you have there is a little off, it's a more deeper blue when you see them in person. Really nice guitars.

I need to stop looking. i want, want, want all the time. Unfortunately, want is not the same as need :) Good luck with it if you do end up getting it.
  • i can't decide which one i like better. i was thinking about the ebony b/c i already have a while Les Paul custom and a blue/teal sg, but i think the blue one looks better than the ebony so i will probably go with that one. i would like to at least play one before plunking down that kind of dough, if for no other reason than to see what the burstbuckers sound like.

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I don't like the diamond F-Holes or the Firebird type headstock.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    i can't decide which one i like better. i was thinking about the ebony b/c i already have a while Les Paul custom and a blue/teal sg, but i think the blue one looks better than the ebony so i will probably go with that one. i would like to at least play one before plunking down that kind of dough, if for no other reason than to see what the burstbuckers sound like.

I have the teal sg as well. While i do like the look of this guitar (i don't even mind the headstock - it grows on you), i do think it is a lot of money to spend. Depends how much of a Dave Grohl fan you are, and depends how it feels/sounds when you play it. All the best.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I don't like the diamond F-Holes or the Firebird type headstock.

It's not that I don't like either of them independently, but the guitar just looks off to me. Like a Ken head on a Barbie doll, if you will.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    It's not that I don't like either of them independently, but the guitar just looks off to me. Like a Ken head on a Barbie doll, if you will.
    ok.
  • everyone has their own opinions.

its not that i am even a super huge dave grohl fan. i like him and i like his music okay. but to me its a custom 335. i like it because EVERYONE with a 335 has the same headstock and the standard f holes and most of them look and sound the same to me. if it sounds good and is a little more individualized and does not have the standard 335 pickups then i am that much more attracted to it and curious about it. yeah it is alot of money, but my LP custom cost just under what the ebony one costs. if i don't like it i guess i can always send it back.