question about pedal patch cables

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,104
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i bought this hughes and kettner rotosphere and it is supposed to go on the pedalboard first in line from your amp to your other effects/pedals, which is fine. but the input and output jacks are arranged in such a fashion that you can not fit another pedal anywhere near it since the input/output locations make it impossible to use a regular 6 inch patch cord, as they are too short. i rigged it the best i could but some of the pedals i use are turned sideways or are located in places that make it difficult to turn them on or off.

my question is if i buy a longer patch cable should i make all of them the same length or does it matter if one of them is longer than the rest?? i thought i read somewhere that you want to keep everything the same length but i can't remember why. anyone have any ideas or suggestions???
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, it's not going to explode or anything.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • thanks for your insight.

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by gimmesometruth27
    thanks for your insight.

No problem.

I'm sure there are some electrical engineers out there who would have some sort of argument for keeping all patch cables the same length. However, I don't believe there is any real-world reason to do this. I'd just wire things up so that the pedalboard is accessable and logical. One of the highest-recommended patch cable systems for tone junkies is George L(http://www.georgels.com/), where you can actually cut your cable to custom lengths and splice together the plugs on the ends. If different lengths are good enough for George, they're good enough for me.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I dig George L's. The cleanest I've heard.

If you find a store that carries them you can get them cut to length too or you can buy a length of cable and make your own lengths.

The length issue might have a some effect on signal loading but mainly that's when you use quite a few effects in your chain Some people use signal buffers to eliminate that problem.

Mainly cable length is important in speakers because the delay time from each speaker can be skewed by cable length.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79

The length issue might have a some effect on signal loading but mainly that's when you use quite a few effects in your chain Some people use signal buffers to eliminate that problem.

Mainly cable length is important in speakers because the delay time from each speaker can be skewed by cable length. [/B]

yeah, that was what i was wondering about. i went and bought longer cables and rearranged everything yesterday. i haven't noticed a difference, except that i can now easily access all of my pedals without accidently hitting one that i don't want to hit. thanks for the info.