Interesting Article Record Player Ownership

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,181
    Whoa!

According to Luminate, which recently published its Top Entertainment Trends for 2023 report, “50 per cent of consumers who have bought vinyl in the past 12 months own a record player, compared to 15per cent per cent among music listeners overall” [via Music Business Worldwide].

The majority of music revenue (84 per cent in 2022) still comes from streaming services.

That's insane.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I was looking at the tine on RSD and half of them had the new Taylor Swift. I just thought to myself, no way most of you even own a turntable.

The 15% of total music consumers having a record player was actually higher than I though. I would have guessed like 5%. Unless that counts for those who have their grandpas's old player, broken in a box stored in the basement somewhere. 
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    There are probably going to be more sealed copies of the Swift record than opened ones. Sad.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • FC28207FC28207 Posts: 71
    Depends who you ask
    1. Red Rocks '95, second night starting on chairs
    2. buncha others, doesn't really matter
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    There are probably going to be more sealed copies of the Swift record than opened ones. Sad.
     I would expect the same for Pearl Jam's record.  I would guess some that will play the record may be looking for a collectible spare too.

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,341
    This is further proof of my belief that the vinyl resurgence makes very little sense.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    BF25394 said:
    This is further proof of my belief that the vinyl resurgence makes very little sense.
    Well it makes record companies a little coin.  

Hell when the average record is $40 now, that is just dumb.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    mace1229 said:
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I was looking at the tine on RSD and half of them had the new Taylor Swift. I just thought to myself, no way most of you even own a turntable.

The 15% of total music consumers having a record player was actually higher than I though. I would have guessed like 5%. Unless that counts for those who have their grandpas's old player, broken in a box stored in the basement somewhere. 

I have two players.  A nicer more modern one I bought in the living room, but I have my grandparents old one in my home office.    Put a new cartridge on it, and it works well enough :)
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,085
    BF25394 said:
    I think just having a large, relatively inexpensive item to display makes it worth it for some fans. The colored vinyl itself looks cool, and the sleeve itself is usually a cool piece of artwork worthy of display. So imagine a teenager getting all variants of the Target Taylor Swift vinyl and hanging them up in her room. It would look pretty neat, even if she only listens on spotify using her google home device. 
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,002
    hihobibo said:
    BF25394 said:
    I think just having a large, relatively inexpensive item to display makes it worth it for some fans. The colored vinyl itself looks cool, and the sleeve itself is usually a cool piece of artwork worthy of display. So imagine a teenager getting all variants of the Target Taylor Swift vinyl and hanging them up in her room. It would look pretty neat, even if she only listens on spotify using her google home device. 
    That's what posters are for! I get it. Though, it can be irritating when it's a rare record and you think about all the people who would actually spin it. In the end, whatever. If people wanna hang them on the wall or keep their multiple sealed Bennies on the shelf, that is up to them. Spinning records is fun and I hope more people buy turntables and enjoy!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    hihobibo said:
    BF25394 said:
    Relatively inexpensive? You just be referring to some other hobby.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,619
    I kinda doubt these polling results. Political pollsters have a hard time polling the kids. Stands to reason these guys, who don’t have the funding political pollsters do, have got the stars right. 
    I kinda doubt these polling results. Political pollsters have a hard time polling the kids. Stands to reason these guys, who don’t have the funding political pollsters do, have got the stars right. 
    I agree. I think this poll is stating 50% of people who purchase records don’t own a turntable, so someone who has purchased a thousand records counts the same as someone who purchased two. Not an accurate representation of the market.
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,085
    hihobibo said:
    BF25394 said:
    I'm not talking about the collectors who want buy limited releases and go on Discogs. I'm talking about the Walmart/Target/Best Buy exclusives and the consumers who buys those for $20-$30. 
    hihobibo said:
    hihobibo said:
    BF25394 said:
    I'm not talking about the collectors who want buy limited releases and go on Discogs. I'm talking about the Walmart/Target/Best Buy exclusives and the consumers who buys those for $20-$30. 
    Not to be confused with the 75,000 Taylor Swift records sold in one day for $50 a pop.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    That's fucked up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    i stills listen to mine.           

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    lolobugg said:
    i stills listen to mine.           
    There he is! Me too! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    lolobugg said:
    i stills listen to mine.           
    There he is! Me too! 
    what's up playa?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    i stills listen to mine.           
    There he is! Me too! 
    what's up playa?
    Icing my balls after a vasectomy and drinking some bourbon. Haha! 
    www.cluthelee.com
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    i stills listen to mine.           
    There he is! Me too! 
    what's up playa?
    Icing my balls after a vasectomy and drinking some bourbon. Haha! 
    damn man. take it easy on them balls!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore