finally broke down and got a strat

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,135
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i went into the guitar store looking for a delay pedal but came home with a badass new guitar. after playing a les paul and an sg for the last 2 years i began to look for something a little different. i wanted a noel gallagher supernova but felt the hollow body sounded a little too much like the guitars i already had since they all have hot humbuckers.

i have been looking around for a white american made strat and have had no luck for over 6 months when i went to my local guitar center and one of the employees was polishing up a white strat. i was thinking it was mexican as that is all they seem to ever have, but i noticed the brushed chrome bridge. i asked the guy "is that an american strat" and he goes "yep, just got it last night on a trade in" and i was just there yesterday getting strings. so of course i had to plug it in and fell in love with it. it is a 2003 olympic white american series with a white pickguard but it has been slightly modded. it has the brushed chrome locking tuners and the fender noiseless pickups from the american deluxe strats and the second tone knob is a toggle between the bridge and neck pickups. if you put it on 1 it turns on the neck, 5 plays all three, and 10 turns on the bridge pickup. it was kind of confusing at first but i am getting the hang of it. i did notice that i have to crank my amp a little more than with the les paul and sg but it will be fine once i get used to it. at any rate i love the way the single coils sound. not too bad for $650.
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    i went into the guitar store looking for a delay pedal but came home with a badass new guitar. after playing a les paul and an sg for the last 2 years i began to look for something a little different. i wanted a noel gallagher supernova but felt the hollow body sounded a little too much like the guitars i already had since they all have hot humbuckers.

i have been looking around for a white american made strat and have had no luck for over 6 months when i went to my local guitar center and one of the employees was polishing up a white strat. i was thinking it was mexican as that is all they seem to ever have, but i noticed the brushed chrome bridge. i asked the guy "is that an american strat" and he goes "yep, just got it last night on a trade in" and i was just there yesterday getting strings. so of course i had to plug it in and fell in love with it. it is a 2003 olympic white american series with a white pickguard but it has been slightly modded. it has the brushed chrome locking tuners and the fender noiseless pickups from the american deluxe strats and the second tone knob is a toggle between the bridge and neck pickups. if you put it on 1 it turns on the neck, 5 plays all three, and 10 turns on the bridge pickup. it was kind of confusing at first but i am getting the hang of it. i did notice that i have to crank my amp a little more than with the les paul and sg but it will be fine once i get used to it. at any rate i love the way the single coils sound. not too bad for $650.

That's a fucking great deal man. When I get my strat I will have trouble deciding between Olympic White and Mike's three color sunburst ;)

Congrats
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Congrats, I would love to have a white Strat.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    my white strat is a monster.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Congrats, that's a great guitar. I'm a huge fan of that style of electronics. Having all 3 on at once is a very nice feature indeed and you will love the lockers when you are restringing.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,135
    thanks guys, just got finished playing her. i love the white color, i wanted white because everybody and their mother has red, black, or some kind of burst. i am not sure if i am going to lock down the tremolo or not since i never have used a whammybar. it has taken some getting used to since it has the single coils and it is not as meaty as my sg or les paul. the 3 pickup option is cool but i need to fool with it a little more so i can remember what setting to keep that pan knob on with each switch setting. gotta gig tomorrow night so that will be my project for tomorrow afternoon...i don't know, i still favor my les paul because it just sounds so great through my marshall...it just sounds "proper" to me..

• i got a les paul but id fukin love a strat. my les paul just doesnt give me d sound i need while strats just seem to have sumtin about em dat i love.
    guys i bought a seymour duncan pick up booster pedal yesterday and it makes the strat sound incredible. i was complaining earlier that i thought it lacked punch and was not "loud" compared to the les paul and sg, but when i give it a little volume boost with that pedal it sounds incredible. no amp volume or eq tweaking is necessary now. i was really impressed with how it sounded at our show last night.

guys i bought a seymour duncan pick up booster pedal yesterday and it makes the strat sound incredible. i was complaining earlier that i thought it lacked punch and was not "loud" compared to the les paul and sg, but when i give it a little volume boost with that pedal it sounds incredible. no amp volume or eq tweaking is necessary now. i was really impressed with how it sounded at our show last night.

yeah, strats need a good clean volume boost to really bring the goodness out of the single coils.

You should check out the new SD Tweak fuzz next time you go in. It's pretty killer as well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I finally broke down and bought an American Strat the other day too. I've owned one Mexican previously, and it was really nice, but the American is awesome.

It's a 99 model in sage green. The more I play it the more I love it. Kinda wish I still had the Mexican around now.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    You should check out the new SD Tweak fuzz next time you go in. It's pretty killer as well.

have you played it yet? it looks interesting.
    exhausted wrote:
    have you played it yet? it looks interesting.

not yet but the specs rock. 23 to 50DB gain range. All class A circuitry.

Alex and Blues Saraceno design. (Afro, Germanium Boy etc at about 375 a pop) They sound good, really good. I expect this to be an extremely flexible fuzz with a wide range of tones, similar to MI Audio's new stuff.

Having heard the stuff Alex Saraceno came up with I think this should be dynamite.

Downside: Yucky hideous yellow barf color no love for the eyes.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/news/press_archive.shtml#tweakfuzz
    i'd like to try one of those on for size...the color isn't THAT bad :)

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd still rather have a Russian Big Muff...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I'd still rather have a Russian Big Muff...

I'm sure there are plenty of websites where you can find your Russian bride...:D
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    not yet but the specs rock. 23 to 50DB gain range. All class A circuitry.

Alex and Blues Saraceno design. (Afro, Germanium Boy etc at about 375 a pop) They sound good, really good. I expect this to be an extremely flexible fuzz with a wide range of tones, similar to MI Audio's new stuff.

Having heard the stuff Alex Saraceno came up with I think this should be dynamite.

Downside: Yucky hideous yellow barf color no love for the eyes.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/news/press_archive.shtml#tweakfuzz

bought one tonight. the price was right.

to me, it sounds like the somewhat normal settings on a fuzz factory, but with a usable gain range and a lot less noise. it's nice and zippery but more musical than a factory to my ears. it'll do the nice, almost octave-up thing around the 12th fret etc. and it's nice and choppy for sloppy riffs and stuff.

the position of the switch relative to the knobs is the shits though. try stomping without changing the settings. you can't. problem solved with some amp knobs.

http://minorlith.net/pics/pedals.jpg

also put a lil 59 in the bridge of my tele tonight. balls out.