question about an SG...

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,139
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
there are some pretty knowledgeable people around here so i thought i'd throw this out there. I have a blue teal SG like ed used to play. its a 2003 and i use it for probably 10 songs each gig so it gets a good workout. saturday night at our gig it just died. it just cut out and did not make another sound. i thought it was my amp or something on my board. i ran it straight into the amp and it still did not work. i then tried my les paul and strat and they both worked fine, but when i tried the sg on other amps that night the same thing happened. eventually if i muted the strings and strummed it very hard it would make a popping sound out of my amp and then die out again. i am guessing it is a wiring problem or my pickups are shot. can they really go bad that easily? i have always loved the tone i got with that guitar and i have received countless compliments from sound engineers and other players who eventually picked up one themselves. my question is twofold....

1) if the pickups are bad, would you replace them with the same gibson ones or something different? i know that they may be dipped in wax or something to give them a little more life.

2) i thought about maybe getting some p90s like a few of you have suggested but i am afraid i would thin out my tone too much. is that possible since they are single coils? or should i look into p100s. i have never played a guitar with either the p90s or 100s but i hear they sound badass. i know that there is some routing necessary to install those pickups and i would have to get a new pickguard, but i am afraid to have all that work done and end up not liking it.

what would you do?
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    probably a broken or loose soldier joint or input jack lead.

Me? I'd get two Harmonic Design Z90's and play the hell out of it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • yeah i am taking it to the shop tomorrow and i am trying to have some sort of idea what i want to do. my band has this week off so i have some time. i guess it couldn't have happened at a better time. what do you think of fralins 90s?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah i am taking it to the shop tomorrow and i am trying to have some sort of idea what i want to do. my band has this week off so i have some time. i guess it couldn't have happened at a better time. what do you think of fralins 90s?

The Fralins and the Lollars are both great. It's just that the Z90's let you get that tone, without the modification to the body.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • the same shit just happened with my strat.............i brought it to sam ash and they fixed it for just 50 bucks.......oh, the only thing was it took THREE WEEKS
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young