marshall cab dilemma

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,139
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a marshall jcm 900 head and have been playing through a marshall 1960 av cab (slant) with vintage 30s (70 watters) and i am thinking about buying a straight cab and playing with a full stack for our larger shows. i have been looking at the 1960 bv (straight) but i do not feel like plunking down another grand for a new cab. they are very hard to come by used because people tend to hang onto these cabs. i was also looking at the regular 1960 b cab which is about $200 cheeper but it has 75 watt speakers. i have found that this type of cab is very trebley and seems to be a bit brighter than my av cab that seems to have more mids/lowend which i prefer as a rhythm player. when i combine my cab with a friends regular 1960 b they seem to compliment each other well and i am really digging the tone i get. the other guitarist in my band has the 1960 bv with a 1987 regular 1960 a cab and he does not seem to have any problems, but he is unsure if he is playing with fire. my questions are...

1) am i going to damage either one of the cabs or the head by playing cabs with different wattages?

2) has anyone heard of anybody that combines 2 different types of cabs like this?

3) would i be smart in sticking with the vintage 30s, or would i be ok playing a full stack with a 70 watt and a 75 watt cab??

thanks for your help/advice...
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I am pretty sure its safe as long as the impedance(maybe not the right term) matches.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    just make sure the impedences match up so the amp sees the proper resistance and all will be ok. Wattages just need to be within the range of the amp. The B cab handles more wattage but the speakers will have a different character (which is what you experienced) already than the top cab. It's actually a pretty common practice to use different speakers toegther. The top cab is about a 240 watt cab at it's peak and the bottom will be around 300+ I don't know unless you are running multiple heads you'll need to worry about power output. You just need to make sure each cabinet matches the ohm out put listed next to the output jack on the back of the amplifier. I assume it's probably 8 ohms on each and it should match fine.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • cool, thanks for the info. i am still not sure if i want the 1960 bv or the regular 1960 b. the regular b is cheeper and i like the tone i got by mixing both types of cabs. decisions decisions....
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."