My New "Blackie-ish" Bill Nash Strat!!

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,168
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Normally I don't like to boast about my gear but the steal I got yesterday was too good not to share. I have always said that I am more of a les paul guy and not much of a strat guy, mainly because I never liked the few strats I owned at one time or another but I went to a friend's vintage guitar store yesterday and came home with the best strat I have ever played, and its not even a fender. Its a 2008 Nash '57 stratocaster with ash body and maple fretboard, lollar pickups, and it weighs in at a dainty 7 lbs, 13 oz. It plays like butter and it has a medium v neck with a very worn and broken in maple fretboard. The finish is black nitro and its worn and scuffed like a vintage guitar would be. There are dings all over it and i love it, its kind of like Clapton's "Blackie" so we call it "Blackie-ish"...I paid $1400 for it so I saved several hundred but it was totally worth it....

Its easily the best "Strat" I have ever played. I plugged it in to my matchless and i have something very similar to Mike's tone from his old 59 strat. I don't have a photobucket or pic hosting account anywhere so i just posted a link to that album of my myspace page. I have more pics if anyone would like to see them.....

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=32047119&albumId=1659758
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Very nice. You should put a black pickguard on it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • thanks! i thought about changing the pickguard for a minute, but i like the contrast of the black and white better than any combination i could think of. black on black would strike me as menacing, like what a metal guy would play, when i am more of a traditional rock guy.

• MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    thanks! i thought about changing the pickguard for a minute, but i like the contrast of the black and white better than any combination i could think of. black on black would strike me as menacing, like what a metal guy would play, when i am more of a traditional rock guy.

Yeah. ever since seeing David Gilmours combo of black strat, black guard, maple neck... i've had the jones for it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    congrats on the purchase, very nice.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Congrats!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Sweet ride! Congrats
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nice, that's a good deal too. At least 2 or 300 off so it's like getting the pickups free. Is the neck pretty big on it?

I love those Lollars. Combined with matchless character is should sound like a dynamic little slice of heaven.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    nice, that's a good deal too. At least 2 or 300 off so it's like getting the pickups free. Is the neck pretty big on it?

I love those Lollars. Combined with matchless character is should sound like a dynamic little slice of heaven.

the neck is definitely a fatter v shape from the nut to about the fifth fret or so then it thins out and flattens out some the rest of the way up the neck. it is the most comfortable neck i have ever played. the v shape fits the shape of my hand perfectly, especially up near the nut when playing open chords. it is effortless to play up on the first 5 frets. i tried to get a good pic of how the v shape flattens out but i would need a panoramic view for people to appreciate it.

the lollars sound great. the guy i got it from orders only lollars in the nash guitars he sells. he feels they sound the best out of all of the different pickups nash uses and i would have to agree with him. this guitar combined with the matchless is very responsive with how you strum, very clean with light strumming and breaks up nicely with heavy strumming. with my box of rock pedal i can get some great tone out of the guitar. much more versatile than the les pauls i used to gig exclusively. i gigged it saturday night and got several compliments on my tone with that guitar. i love it!!