Wolfmother...WOW!!!

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,160
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i just got home from seeing Wolfmother at a club here in st louis. all i can say is wow. i am difficult to impress but these guys blew me away. the place holds about 1000 people, if that and it sold out in about a half hour a few months ago.

i just want to say that andrew stockdale has amazing tone and its been covered on this board before, but he had a different set up than what i have seen in videos and in discussion. he was playing out of an orange head with an orange 4x12 as well as a marshall cab with green backs. he did not play his vintage marshall at all, only the orange head. i am guessing that the marshall is 100 watts and that would have blown everybody's heads off if he played that in a small club. either that or maybe the marshall blew up while touring, as i hear that the vintage ones tend to do from time to time.

also i was surprised that he played for the most part only hollow body guitars. he played that brown sg for only 2 songs. whatever he was running he had amazing tone. after the show i got a good look at his pedal board and he had a bunch of pedals i have never seen before. it almost looked like a multi switch midi controller, a long single unit with a bunch of silver buttons on it with yellow ribbon saying things like "dist", "oct" and a few other things. i wonder if he was using a processor that was behind his rig? the only thing i could make out was a boss tuner and a fulltone wah.

if you all get a chance to see these guys i highly recommend it. if anyone else knows anything about stockdale's rig please post because i am coveting his tone right now. because of this show and the kings of leon one i saw a month ago i will be looking into getting a hollow body after i pay off my les paul custom in Feb.
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I had a thread on the porch about seeing them in NYC this past wednesday, they were amazing. I also put a thread up on this forum with 2 videos from the show I went to. The place I saw them at holds between 2500 and 3000, and he used his Orange set-up there too so I think he just is in an "orange-mode" for now. I was worried about seeing them live because I didn't konw if they would have as much punch with 1 guitar compared to the album...boy was I wrong!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • I bought there cd a couple months before Pearl Jam played in Belgium.
    And a few weeks later : SURPRISE , wolfmother is the opening show for Pearl Jam
    Man there really really really good :D
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    he uses a bunch of lehle single loop bypass pedals for each of his effects from what i've seen. never heard the band. just happened across his pedal board one time.

http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=ca&lang=en&A_Link=products

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/51505150/100_3705.jpg
  • That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I wonder if he uses the lehles instead of a preamp effects loop from his amp(?)...
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Saw 'em twice this year, on Rock Werchter here in Belgium, and opening for PJ here.
    I already knew them from before, but they kick ass.

Sometimes they remind me of Uriah Heep
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • i like that looping technique......it makes it VERY VERY easy to know whats on, and makes switching a breeze. also alot of his pedals he has there aren't exactly "durable" and some of them have very specific setting, by allways keeping them on, and engaging them by a simple on/off switch, there is no error.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yep, Andrew Wood's tone on the studio album is one of my absolute favorites... never saw them live though. That overdriven sound is damn near perfect in my book... up there with Neil Young's and EVH's overdriven sound. I'd kill for that tone.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • exhausted wrote:
    he uses a bunch of lehle single loop bypass pedals for each of his effects from what i've seen. never heard the band. just happened across his pedal board one time.

http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=ca&lang=en&A_Link=products

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/51505150/100_3705.jpg

that is his board, except he had a fulltone added on there on the far left last night.

so does he have a processor then? how do the lehle bypass pedals work?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."