full stack ohms question

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,168
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey i just have a quick question.

i recently purchased a 1974 marshall jmp super lead head and am wanting to run it as part of a full stack. i have 2 marshall 1960 AV and BV cabs with vintage 30s in them. i used to use a jcm 900 head and stack them but i have not run them as a full stack in a few years because i got a matchless head that could only power one cab so i quit using a stack. i remember when i did use a full stack i had to change the ohms on either the head or on the cabs and i can not remember for the life of me which i am supposed to switch.

i was planning on using the head and cabs at 16 ohms, but for some reason i am thinking i am supposed to switch both cabs to 8 ohms, but i might be wrong. i don't want to do that and end up screwing up my new (to me)vintage head. any info is really appreciated. thanks.
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Make sure both cabinets are switched to Mono. Since you're hooking two 16 Ohm cabinets to your
    super lead head in parallel, R1 (16-ohm) and R2 (16-ohm): 1/RT = 1/16 + 1/16, RT = 8 ohms

Two 16 ohm cabs = 8 ohms (if they are wired in parallel)

Read this if you want to truly understand: http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--01/14/2005
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,168
    thanks for the info ian!! works like a charm. now i have to see about getting a damn attenuator because its a non master volume head and i am having trouble getting power tube breakup with the channels jumped and the volume on 3.....its always something lol...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."