bass

Koowani17Koowani17 Posts: 6
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to play bass really badly but I don't even know where to start. I play guitar so hopefully that gives me a start. I'm posting because I'd like to know if anyone can help me in what kind of bass I should get? Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    how much are you looking to spend?
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Koowani17Koowani17 Posts: 6
    No more than a beginner should.. plus I'm a teenager living at home so.. I don't have an incredible amount of money lying around.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Fender P-Bass, made in Mexico. Used, it should be about $250 or less. Brand new, about $400-450.

If I was in the market for a good bass, I'd be getting a Deluxe P-Bass Special. Go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com and search for item # 510131. Standard Mexican P-Bass is item # 511025.

Here's a pretty guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64401&item=3737235091&rd=1
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Thanks a lot. Unfortunately the Ebay one only ships to the US and I live in Canada.
    Can I ask you another question? I've read some of your other posts and was wondering how you got so knowledgeable about instruments?
    I have a good memory, an attention to detail, an anal personality, and way too much time on my hands.

I am a gearhead.
    :)
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    As mcreadyisgod said, I've had a mexican fender p-bass (got it for about $400 new) as my first bass and it's served me faithfully for around 4 years without incedent. My suggestions would be to go w/ the longest fretboard as possible & go to a store to try it compared w/ a fender jazz bass so you know which one's sound you prefer, depending on what you want to play.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    The best thing about a Mexican P-Bass is that it's cheap, but great quality, so that you won't want to replace it 6 months later. You could conceivably keep it and play on it for years, and never grow sick of it. Mexican J-Basses are the same... different sound, but same value and longevity. You could invest in an American Fender, or a Warwick, Music Man, or Modulus, etc. but if you decide you don't want to play bass anymore... you've dumped $1,000 or more on a great instrument you don't want to use. I have a MIM P-Bass, and it's everything I need for right now. I would eventually like a Deluxe P-Bass Special like I mentioned above, and a Music Man Stingray, but I have other priorities right now. If I ever get a better bass, I might just try out a fretless conversion on the Mexi P-Bass...
  • cltaylor12cltaylor12 Posts: 125
    I have a Peavey Precision Bass, and I like it alot. It was under $400.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    The best thing about a Mexican P-Bass is that it's cheap, but great quality, so that you won't want to replace it 6 months later. You could conceivably keep it and play on it for years, and never grow sick of it. Mexican J-Basses are the same... different sound, but same value and longevity. You could invest in an American Fender, or a Warwick, Music Man, or Modulus, etc. but if you decide you don't want to play bass anymore... you've dumped $1,000 or more on a great instrument you don't want to use. I have a MIM P-Bass, and it's everything I need for right now. I would eventually like a Deluxe P-Bass Special like I mentioned above, and a Music Man Stingray, but I have other priorities right now. If I ever get a better bass, I might just try out a fretless conversion on the Mexi P-Bass...

I didn't realize you played bass (or at least owned one) and doubted that you did because of that bass joke in another thread...

I'm also thinking about a fretless bass but I really don't have any sort of expertise in the matter; have you done in any research? Once again, I'm not really looking for anything over $500 and I was considering a jazz instead of precision...any help you've got is much appreciated.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    Originally posted by r1vers
    I didn't realize you played bass (or at least owned one) and doubted that you did because of that bass joke in another thread...

I'm also thinking about a fretless bass but I really don't have any sort of expertise in the matter; have you done in any research? Once again, I'm not really looking for anything over $500 and I was considering a jazz instead of precision...any help you've got is much appreciated.

Well, there are two types of people in the bass world... people who play bass, and bass-players. Jeff Ament is a bass-player. I play bass. And jokes are fair play...

How do you get a guitar player to slow down? Give him a piece of sheet music.

How many drummers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, they have a machine to do that now.

How can you tell if the stage is level? Drool comes out both sides of the keyboard player's mouth.

I play guitar most, but I also play (and own) drums, bass, and piano/keys.

Here's a great example to start from on a fretless conversion:

http://www.mikelull.com/fretless%20conversion/conversion1.htm

Another:

http://www.geocities.com/charlesarms/

One more:

http://www.bassland.net/howto1.htm

If you wanted a good instrument, though, buy a factory fretless. Fender's Fretless Jazz Basses are probably the best bang for the buck in the fretless world. The Jaco Pastorius signature model is pretty damn nice, but a MIM would do just fine.
    What's the difference if it's fretless other than physically?
    Originally posted by Koowani17
    What's the difference if it's fretless other than physically?

First off, a fretless is a BAD decision for a beginner. Get a fretted bass first, and after you develop technique, finger strength, dexterity, and learn scales and progressions, you can start to think about a fretless.

Fretless basses allow the player to swell into and out of notes. They have a very unique sound... like half-fretted electric bass and half-fretless standup bass. A lot of jazz and jazz-fusion players really like them, and Jeff recorded most of "Ten" and a lot of "Vs." with a home-made fretless bass (Warmoth parts).

They make it very hard to hit notes precisely, though. And while some fretless basses come with fret markers (smooth, but different colored strips, that mark where the fret would've been) some do not. It takes a very well-trained ear to work a fretless, but after playing fretless for a while, you almost get perfect pitch.