From Blown Speakers

VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm not sure this is the right forum, but I don't know where to ask. That technical one seems like it should be for site tech problems? Anyway, I blew my speakers (and my ipod earbuds are almost blown). Thanks Sleater-Kinney!

I don't have the space or money for the super-fabulous stereo system of my dreams so I'm looking for good quality computer speakers (that I could possibly just hook my ipod into as well). I read some very unkind reviews for the Bose dock thing and for $300 I don't want to take my chances. I looked at some soundsticks (comes with subwoofer) and considering those.

Does anyone have any good computer speaker recommendations?

thanks!
if you wanna be a friend of mine
cross the river to the eastside
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    don't waste money on docking stations.

all you need is a mini plug cable and a set of active (powered) monitors (speakers)

use the mini plug (headphone) out of your Ipod and find you some wireless speakers.

way cheaper than 300 bones.

I'll look some up real quick and post.

on second thought just take your Ipod to the store and get a little mini plug jack, hell it probably came with one, go around to the various computer and wireless monitors that they have set up and ask a salesperson if you can try your Ipod out with them because you're shopping speakers, if they say no just move on to the next store. There are tons of options in your price range, probably thousands on EBAY for cheap. I suggest looking for some little system with a subwoofer under 50 bucks.

BOSE is way way way over rated and even more overpriced. It's not that they aren't good, they do great research and such but for the money....wow. You can do so much better.

we kind of have a theme on this board, we can recommend and name brands all day, but that won't amount to a hill of beans. Essentially your ears and your wallet will do the talking. You can do very well for yourself under 100 bucks.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    Thank you for the help. It's good to hear that bose is overrated. I'll look around tonight- and look more into the ones from you, daytimedilemma. The problem is that I don't want to wait to hit some stores, because I don't know when I'll be able to- we'll see. I'll check around more tonight when I have more time though.

I might have more questions :).
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I like Altec Lansings and Boston Acoustics, myself...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.