Guitar STRINGs

FiveHorizons88FiveHorizons88 Posts: 12
edited May 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey i use GHS strings right now.. i like them a lot but i want to look around for better strings.. any suggestions? what do you like better 9g or 10g?
blahh
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ExodusExodus Posts: 212
    d'adario or dean markley are always good for me.
    Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
  • what about gibsons?? i heard gibson strings are pretty good.
    blahh
  • jdecker12jdecker12 Posts: 41
    I use GHS Boomers and Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. Those work pretty well for me.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    By Far my favorite are DR "Tite Fit" electrics or Hi Beams even the Pure Blues.

I like GHS Boomers as well.

Dean Markley Blue Steels aren't bad either they just wear out fast.

I hate Ernie Balls I never have had a good set of Ernie Ball slinkies.

I have 10's currently on my Les Paul and 9's on my fake strat, only because the tuners blow and it really plays better with nines.

My new strat will have 10's but I'm considering 11's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    a question...
    i have always played a regular dreadnaught geetar, but i was pickin around the other day at my local geetar shop and started playin a classical guitar. but it had 3 steel and 3 nylon.
    very easy to play. but why the 3 and 3 ? why not all nylon?
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • stefanwastefanwa Posts: 43
    I used GHS Boomers and now D'Addario XL and I like the the XL better.

An additional question, how long do your strings usually last? My GHS were nearly unplayable after about 2 month. I always clean my strings after use and I don't play that much. I sure some of you would need new strings every week or so, but compared to the strings on my acoustic I thought the nickel strings didn't last long.

Steve
  • MONKEYNUTSMONKEYNUTS Posts: 114
    MONKEYNUTS CANt remember THE MAke of hIS STRINgs. there 10's. he has HIS FOR MoNths. thiS SET HAV biN oN FOR ABoUt 6 moNths. he onCE HAD A SET oN FOR Over a yeaR And he rarelY cleaneD DEM. THEY HAD a nIce warm toNE. hE dont LIEK THE TOne as mUCH on NEW STRINgs and he HATES de FEEL Of NEW STRINgs
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    I use DM Blue Steels.

And how does a set of strings become unplayable? I usually just replace the set when one breaks after 6 months or so.
  • if i use 10's can i just switch to 9's or do i have to have to put a new spring in??
    blahh
  • HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    When you switch string gauge you often have to intonate your guitar again.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    what type of strings ie nylon or steel are more durable for alternate tunings... not dropped d .... but odd ones that a nick drake tab or harper tab might be.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I liked GHS strings when I played a lot, or DR strings. I broke strings on every Ernie Ball set I ever used, though. I never use them

As far as how long strings last, it depends on how much you play and what tone you want. Electric, I used to have all new ones every night because if you bend a lot, they want to break at the worst possible moment. Some pros like the duller mellower sound of old strings. They lose their brightness and sustain, too when they get older. Same on acoustic. I don't like old thuddy strings.

If you switch string gauges you can adjust the vibrato springs, you don't usually have to replace them. The larger the gauge on the string, the more pull it has on the neck and bridge, so from 10 to 9's the trem plate would pull back. Take note of where it is before you take off the 10's, then loosen the springs a bit at the screws in the back when you put the 9's on until it's back to where it was. (Or tighten the springs if you go to larger gauge.)

You may have to adjust the truss rod a bit when you go to heavier or lighter strings to put the neck straightness where you want it.

Then you adjust your string heights if you want

Then you intonate it last if you need to.

For alternate tunings: it depends what tuning you're going to. If it's extremely different, like Fripp's new standard tuning,(NST) , you buy set of NST strings from John Pease, or buy individual strings to adjust for whatever tuning you're in. Usually if you play pro, you set one guitar up for a tuning and keep it there, but otherwise, for open D or open G, you can usually just use the same string.

If one string is going much higher in pitch, you can use a smaller gauge string, or if one goes down a long way in pitch, use a larger one, but then you may need to file the nut slot. If you're ranging back and forth in tuning, just use a regular set. They'll tell you by the sound............BOIIINNNGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart