In regards to micing the guitar amp for recording

celluloid_lovecelluloid_love Posts: 62
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've recorded with the same mic that I use for vocals, and while vocals sounds good through it, the miced guitar amp always ends up sounding quite distant...as if there's reverb there even though I've turned the reverb off.

Do different mics handle this sort of thing?

thanks
WE'RE FAITHFULL
WE ALL BELIEVE
WE ALL BELIEVE IT
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    do you want the short answer or the long answer?

yes different mics handle different jobs better than others.

now wait for mig to tell you why.......

what mic are you using?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • a shitty computer mic for the guitar

and some digitor mic I picked up in a second hand store about 2 years ago
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • a shitty computer mic for the guitar

and some digitor mic I picked up in a second hand store about 2 years ago

yeah i use a computer mic for my guitar, its shitty u have to get a regular mic
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    yeah i use a computer mic for my guitar, its shitty u have to get a regular mic

That's the short answer right there.

If you want to improve your sound, you need to get a good low-Z mic and a mic preamp. I'd recommend a Shure SM57 and a small Behringer mixer.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/270102/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631239/
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • thanks

can that mixer be used live, or is it not really the right type?
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    can that mixer be used live, or is it not really the right type?

Yep, it's actually built for live use. It's VERY small (only one mic input, and two stereo line inputs) but it would work for, say, one vocal, one keyboard, and one acoustic/electric guitar. There are slightly bigger versions with more channels that could do live duty better, and still work with computer recording. Just go to Musician's Friend and check out the Behringer mixers.

The mic, as well, could be used for vocals and for live applications. It's about the most versatile mic on the market.
  • Yah,

SO is behringer the way to go for mixers? Is this a consensus opinion?
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Yah,

SO is behringer the way to go for mixers? Is this a consensus opinion?

No.

Behringer is a CHEAP way to go for mixers. And for the price, they're okay.

Mackie's have better preamps, and Yamaha's have better EQ sections. Allen & Heath are another great option, very warm preamps and a great EQ section. But if you're on a budget, the little Behringers are alright. Certainly better than the stuff I've seen from Peavey and Carvin in the same price range.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    A mild improvement would be a Mackie 1202.

I agree with the SM57...it is the workhorse mic and has been for decades. Even if you were in Pearl Jam, I bet you'd be recording something with a 57 :)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    No.

Behringer is a CHEAP way to go for mixers. And for the price, they're okay.

Mackie's have better preamps, and Yamaha's have better EQ sections. Allen & Heath are another great option, very warm preamps and a great EQ section. But if you're on a budget, the little Behringers are alright. Certainly better than the stuff I've seen from Peavey and Carvin in the same price range.

I know Kigcat is a A&H guy and all, but what do you think of soundcraft?

I've been shopping the new GigRac series.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I know Kigcat is a A&H guy and all, but what do you think of soundcraft?

I've been shopping the new GigRac series.

I'm a fan. I think their preamps are a little more sterile than the A&H, but their EQ is phenomenal and their summing amps and overall structure is more clean and reliable.

I'd love to try out a GigRac for a weekend or two, just to see what it can do. It sure as hell looks cool.

enharmonic wrote:
    A mild improvement would be a Mackie 1202.

I agree with the SM57...it is the workhorse mic and has been for decades. Even if you were in Pearl Jam, I bet you'd be recording something with a 57.

Yeah, but a Mackie 1202 would cost 3 times as much, and only get a nominally cleaner signal. Sure, it's better. Just not THAT much better.

And Pearl Jam does use SM57's. I know they use them for snare drum on stage, and you can see one in Single Video Theory on Jack's snare. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a 57 on every record including the new one. Great mic.