Ed's guitar in No Way (SVT)

celluloid_lovecelluloid_love Posts: 62
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm sure this question must have come up a lot over the years since SVT's release, but could someone please tell me what that awesome-looking guitar is that Ed uses during No Way?

Just curious. Thanks.
WE'RE FAITHFULL
WE ALL BELIEVE
WE ALL BELIEVE IT
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Thinkin' it was one of his Vox guitars.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • That's probably the likeliest possibility, although I've never seen one that looked anywhere near as cool as Ed's one in SVT.

Anyone know for sure?
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    Q: I'm curious about Ed's guitar setup and was wondering if you would mind assisting me. It's widely reported that Ed doesn't use effects pedals. How does he switch between clean and dirty tones in songs like "Not For You" and "Corduroy"? Also, in Single Video Theory, a pedal is visible at his feet during Wishlist. Was this an exception or a change in his setup? Thank you for your time.

A: You are correct that Ed typically does not use guitar effect pedals, and the fact that there is a foot pedal present at his feet during the filming of SVT is purely a fluke. At times - such as during those rehearsals - Ed has experimented with using various distortion pedals, but one has never stuck - either because he wasn't happy with the distortion, or because he doesn't want to fuss with a foot pedal by his microphone stand. On top of that, Ed's really interested in guitars with distortion and/or effects built on-board the guitar, such as in the vintage, Italian-made Vox guitars that he owns. With those guitars he can turn the distortion, and/or other effects, on and off at the flip of a switch right on the guitar itself. It's a pretty neat concept, but whereas the Vox guitars naturally sound O.K., they don't sound great. So far though, Ed's never taken one of the Vox's out on tour with him. (You can check out one of his Vox's at the very beginning of "MFC" on the SVT video.)

*courtesy of http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/ed.html
  • Cool, that's the MFC one though...I'm interested in the one he plays during No Way.
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Those guitars are fun but fragile. It dosen't shock me he dosen't bring them on the road. I'm sure the electronics are a nightmare. He ought to contact Matt Bellamy from Muse and get with Manson guitars. Have them build whatever he want's right into the guitar.

Pete has been using the strats lately with the volume boosters installed and the fishman acoustic bridges. It dosen't shock me Ed likes the old Voxes

that hiwatt has plenty of bite without using a pedal, we don't really know how those fralins are wound on his SG's they could be a bit hot, and he could have caps on the volume pot to allow him to turn it down without losing the high end.

I know he uses a delay sometimes, It would be cool to see him use some kind of a clean volume booster nothing to color or compress just more of what he's got.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    It's a Jerry Jones electric sitar, and it's butt-ugly. :)

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/541/

It's another model than Ed's but I'm shure he uses one.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • It's not butt ugly, you are! :( *cries*

Lol, just kidding. Thanks for finding me that. Sitar eh? What the hell was Ed doing using an electric sitar in No Way? Hmm...

Anyway, I think it looks fucking awesome, especially the black one from SVT. Thanks again, I would've never been able to find it.
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Those guitars are fun but fragile. It dosen't shock me he dosen't bring them on the road.

I just realized that this is probably the reason No Way doesn't get played live anymore. The guitar is probably too damn fragile to bring on tour!
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    It's not butt ugly, you are! :( *cries*
    You're welcome. ;)
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • I gather that Ed wasn't too thrilled about that pedal he received as a gift anonymously in the Showbox DVD.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Pacomc79 wrote:
    Those guitars are fun but fragile. It dosen't shock me he dosen't bring them on the road. I'm sure the electronics are a nightmare. He ought to contact Matt Bellamy from Muse and get with Manson guitars. Have them build whatever he want's right into the guitar.

Pete has been using the strats lately with the volume boosters installed and the fishman acoustic bridges. It dosen't shock me Ed likes the old Voxes

that hiwatt has plenty of bite without using a pedal, we don't really know how those fralins are wound on his SG's they could be a bit hot, and he could have caps on the volume pot to allow him to turn it down without losing the high end.

I know he uses a delay sometimes, It would be cool to see him use some kind of a clean volume booster nothing to color or compress just more of what he's got.

the fralins are wound 10% under in the neck position according to the people with Mike Lull.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
    the fralins are wound 10% under in the neck position according to the people with Mike Lull.

ah, ok cool, that makes a lot of sense.

Ed runs the hiwatt very hot.

The underwind, gives him less output a not as fat of a midrange. He can run the amp louder without distortion and his articulation and the high end is more preserved. I'd wager the ohms are around 6.7 or 7.5 something like that. He probably plays with a pretty good amount of force too. He likely uses the volume control to roll off for cleans and then rolls it back up for anything distorted.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The underwind, gives him less output a not as fat of a midrange. He can run the amp louder without distortion and his articulation and the high end is more preserved. I'd wager the ohms are around 6.7 or 7.5 something like that. He probably plays with a pretty good amount of force too. He likely uses the volume control to roll off for cleans and then rolls it back up for anything distorted.

I dunno, Pac...

I've got 10%-under neck, 5%-over bridge, and there's plenty of output there. The nice thing is that you can come closer to matching pickup heights with mis-matched output. But anyways... a 10% under in the neck still has a lot of fatness and plenty of mids. And the bridge pickup... (for me, anyways) is perfect.
    I dunno, Pac...

I've got 10%-under neck, 5%-over bridge, and there's plenty of output there. The nice thing is that you can come closer to matching pickup heights with mis-matched output. But anyways... a 10% under in the neck still has a lot of fatness and plenty of mids. And the bridge pickup... (for me, anyways) is perfect.

of course there is plenty of output and plenty of mids...it's a p-90 I'm speaking of character. at 7 it's at hot single coil out put The 10% underwind allows more useable cleanish tone with more highs. You can sqeeze more volume out before clip It dosen't eliminate the character of the P-90 it just lets more of the highs come through. It's more bell like and articulate.

The 5% overwind is more fat, round and rude.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7312659969&rd=1

holy crap, here's a tonesmith for you, but it's going to cost some dough.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7312659969&rd=1

holy crap, here's a tonesmith for you, but it's going to cost some dough.

Damn that has to be one of the coolest guitars I've seen in a long time. Curious at what price it'll go.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    agreed. that thing is 97% badass and 3% wood.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I dunno, Pac...

I was just about to re-ask you about your fralin percentages. I assume you're still loving the sound?
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    WiLL75 wrote:
    I was just about to re-ask you about your fralin percentages. I assume you're still loving the sound?

In a word: fuck yeah.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Awesome. I'm so going with Fralins, but I have to see if they'll ship to Canada.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com