What is the general consensus on the Gibson ES335 Dot reissue?

celluloid_lovecelluloid_love Posts: 62
edited February 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
any opinions are appreciated

I'm looking into getting a semi-hollow-body and this looks like a nice option

thanks in advance
WE'RE FAITHFULL
WE ALL BELIEVE
WE ALL BELIEVE IT
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    awesome guitar. buying one new is difficult now that the production has moved to the custom shop and they cost an arm and a leg.
  • hard to buy new?

I can get one here:

http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/default.aspx?Pg=21&ProductCode=ESDTCH

for $3795

what I'd also like to know is what are the other options for a semi-hollow-bodied electric guitar that is mostly going to be used for rock

and why is this one better, etc.

thanks
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    they're cheaper here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/517280/

what are the other options? the gretsch, the hollow PRS, rickenbackers, other gibson ES models.

at in the higher price ranges. of those, gretsch and rickenbackers sound very distinctive and maybe not what you're looking for. i'd say the 335 is a good choice for all-around rock sounds. you'll just have to play a few.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/517490/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/517859/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search?c=6242&page=4
  • I'll check them out, thanks
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • The Epiphone Elite/Elitist series is actually very nice too. Most people have been skeptical, but i've played on several models (Les Paul, SG, Riviera) and found them to play as well as new Gibsons. Of course you're never going to beat the 60's model 335s, though.
    Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
    Dallas 07/05/1998
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I love hollowbodies, but if you're going to spend more than $1500 on a hollowbody,

you'd better check out the PRS hollowbody II

and this beauty from Don Grosh.

http://www.groshguitars.com/feature012105.htm
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The Epiphone Elite/Elitist series is actually very nice too. Most people have been skeptical...

Not on here... there's a lot of love for Epiphone.

But this guy seems to have the budget for the real deal. Epi's are the ultimate in a player's guitar, for day-in, day-out playing, gigging, touring, etc. But if you have the bones, and want all the bells and whistles...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Not on here... there's a lot of love for Epiphone.

But this guy seems to have the budget for the real deal. Epi's are the ultimate in a player's guitar, for day-in, day-out playing, gigging, touring, etc. But if you have the bones, and want all the bells and whistles...

is that a yes to the Gibson?
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
    is that a yes to the Gibson?

yes, yes, yes.

but, look around to see if you can get one cheaper, and make sure there aren't any others in that price range you might like better. Like a 346 or a 336 or what have you. You might want to have a vari-tone switch and stereo jacks for instance.

The 335 is one of my favorite guitars of all time, it's time tested and outstanding. If you're going to spend close to 4 grand I'd look for the best original I could find, at least get one with grover machine heads and not those awful plastic klusons. 4K guitar, $3 "vintage" tuning machines. I don't get it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i have no issues with the kluson style on mine so far.
    exhausted wrote:
    i have no issues with the kluson style on mine so far.

I hate them. The look and the feel. I just don't like them at all.

as a general question though, does your SG seem to go sharp when you leave it for a while? I've run into several SG's where this was the case and it seems odd to me, I guess it's related to a strong truss rod.
    all my guitars do because it's a bit cold in my basement so i haven't noticed anything with the SG specifically.
    exhausted wrote:
    all my guitars do because it's a bit cold in my basement so i haven't noticed anything with the SG specifically.

ah, ok, that makes sense. It's more pronounced in the winter time here too.

I just notice it more on SG's I guess. I would assume the wood works more fluidly toegther especially regarding temperture on set neck guitars. The lightness of the SG must have something to do with it.

Thanks.
  • is that a yes to the Gibson?

That's a "yes" to look for something worth what you want to pay.

Gibson has several semi-hollow models, and there are a few other manufacturers out there (Gretsch, PRS, etc) who make semi-hollows. The 335 is the most famous and most popular, by far... for good reason...

The only thing I can say is that it's worth it to find a shop where you can play a few models before you lay down the $$$. There are differences between identical models, even... if you're spending that much cash on a guitar, make sure you're getting your money's worth. Gibson makes good stuff, but they make lemons, too.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • the only real problem is, around here there aren't that many guitar shops, and what ones there are don't keep such expensive guitars in the shop. That is, you have to order it in and then you have to buy it.

Which is complete bullshit, because how the fuck am I supposed to know if I want to spend $4000 or not. Wtf?

But there's one shop that had one, and I tried it there. It was good, but I didn't play it on the correct amp. I asked for something like a high watt solidstate (I don't have tube yet) but all he was prepared to let me use was a shitty Marshall practise amp (they BLOW).

But yeah, I'm going to check out the Gretsch, and perhaps a PRS if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT