Clarity within all the distortion..how?

celluloid_lovecelluloid_love Posts: 62
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm trying to get a thick, heavy fuzz sound by combining my [solid-state] amp's distortion with my Boss Hyper Fuzz FZ-2.

The only problem is, the imbalance of Gain over Volume makes you lose clarity.

I also have a Compressor pedal and am told this could help?

So my question is "How do I get clarity within so much distortion?"

thanks.
WE'RE FAITHFULL
WE ALL BELIEVE
WE ALL BELIEVE IT
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well if there is a sustain control on your fuzz pedal turn that down as far as you can without losing a quality fuzz sound. Fuzz pedals are not really compatible with the whole clarity thing. That's the one tip I can give you.

What are you trying to play? Cause from my experience if it's open chords or bar chords (other than power chords) you are out of luck. Fuzz pedals aren't really made for that sort of thing. If you look at the smashing pumpkins stuff they use their fuzz only for lead lines, or lines with single notes, not for chording. Power chords can be done because they don't go on after you let go.

I could be wrong their could be a way to fix this with your compressor but just by my experience fuzz pedals are not gonna give you much in the way of clarity.

So if you are gonna use one you need to play very cleanly. Don't touch, or else dampen strings you aren't playing, and make sure that you kill the chords when your done with them. Unless you want their fuzz to continue.

For the reason of lack of versatility I am selling my big muff pedal.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Thanks.

Spot on with the Pumpkins thing, I'm trying to get a similar sound.

With Cherub Rock for example, there's a bunch of fuzz on there, and for that intro/verse chord thing, Billy seems to doing more of a strum on that power-chord type thing than he is picking single notes (he does this to hit the low E as well).

He's getting clarity there somehow...maybe it's just the production on the record. Anyway, I'll keep trying with your advice in mind. Thanks again.
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • Yah, remeber that all you hear is their amps. It's hard when your practicing especially in your bedroom to get a clear idea of what is coming out of your amp. You can hear your strings vibrating etc. It would sound alot different if you recorded it or listened to headphones.

I have the problem with alot of gain that I can't seem to make out the notes, it begins to sound like noise when practicing. But when I play it back it sounds much more distinct, the different chords and stuff.

Yah I had trouble learning alot of smashing pumpkins stuff. They do alot of weird things do get different distortions and to get different sounds. E.G the the famous mayonaise effect.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • True.

I guess that's always something to keep in mind when playing music. You are hearing something totally different to what your audience is.

...The Pumpkins are great though!

cheers
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • on the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion if you turn the tone all the way up and the distortion all the way up and the level between middle and loud...then switch to "II" you get a sick ass sound, if its what im thinking you want
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • i know this problem all to well..

if i could afford it.. i would use compression and a bit of distortion... if i'm correct it will sustain your notes likle distortion without the feedback problem.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yah, remeber that all you hear is their amps. It's hard when your practicing especially in your bedroom to get a clear idea of what is coming out of your amp. You can hear your strings vibrating etc. It would sound alot different if you recorded it or listened to headphones.

I have the problem with alot of gain that I can't seem to make out the notes, it begins to sound like noise when practicing. But when I play it back it sounds much more distinct, the different chords and stuff.

Yah I had trouble learning alot of smashing pumpkins stuff. They do alot of weird things do get different distortions and to get different sounds. E.G the the famous mayonaise effect.
    mayonaise.... oooo man... best song on that album in my opinion.. heard the acoustic version?.. *orgasm*

but anyway.. Corgan also turns his tone way down in some weird fashion to get that "pumpkins" sound. but you guys probably can tell :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    I know this adds nothing to your situation, but here is what I have to say.

From my findings, the best way to get some clarity when an amp is distorted is to buy a non master volume tube amp. vox, marshall, some fenders.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    compression does not equal clarity. You can get more attack from a compressor, but clarity has a lot to do with how hard you're hitting your preamp, as well as the fret scale of your instrument, and your playing technique.

Try backing off of the gain on your fuzz, and increasing the gain of the amp. also, if your amp has a presence control, that would be helpful. :)
  • 57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
    You could buy enharmonic's Savage Blitz 50 and you'll be good to go.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    57Goldtop wrote:
    You could buy enharmonic's Savage Blitz 50 and you'll be good to go.

DOH! :p

That's very true, but I'm not 100% sure that I am going to be able to part with it. I was playing last night, and the damned thing is just too good for words.