Options

*** the DONALD J TRUMP IS OFFICIALLY A CONVICTED FELON thread ***

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,839
    The field
    Edved82 said:
    Now that the legal system has confirmed him as a sex pest, I wonder will it cost him any votes with the evangelicals.
    Of course not…. See my comment above about the different set of rules. 
    Have evangelicals ever truly been against sexual assault? Biblical themes have long been used as a rationale for rape culture. If anything this will harden the persona on how women are not to be believed and how we need to get back to the good old days when they knew their place.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The field
    "fortunately or unfortunately" was one of the absolute worst things he could have said in that depo. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew he was fucking dumb. But that was REALLY fucking dumb. 
    Spending over 70 years being able to say and do anything with no fear of repercussions doesn't always serve him well anymore. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,464
    Just imagine clips of that deposition smothered in tv ads over and over again next year. He's not growing his base of supporters, folks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,090
    Just imagine clips of that deposition smothered in tv ads over and over again next year. He's not growing his base of supporters, folks. 
    it doesn't matter if he grows his base or not. it matters what the economy is doing the 6 months leading up to the general, and independents will vote accordingly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    it doesn't matter if he grows his base or not. it matters what the economy is doing the 6 months leading up to the general, and independents will vote accordingly. 
    In a campaign of two normal people, that may be true.  That's not the case here.  People in this country remember the chaos.  I was talking to some lifelong Republicans at a conference last week, and they just want him to be gone.  They were sick of hearing about him everyday.  Now that doesn't mean they will vote for Biden over Trump, but I think independents still break to Biden.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    In a campaign of two normal people, that may be true.  That's not the case here.  People in this country remember the chaos.  I was talking to some lifelong Republicans at a conference last week, and they just want him to be gone.  They were sick of hearing about him everyday.  Now that doesn't mean they will vote for Biden over Trump, but I think independents still break to Biden.  
    Exactly. We are still not in normal times. 

I've been saying this a lot but I think it is true---the vast majority of Americans have not been paying attention to Trump over the last 2 years. He's not on social media. He's not in their faces all the time anymore. Once that starts up again, along with all the new indictments and trials that will be coming down the pike....yeah unless the economy completely tanks, he's not going to win. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    they might. but I don't think independents pay attention to the chaos. they pay attention to what affects them personally and the last couple weeks leading up to the election. it is FAR too early to tell which way anyone will break. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    they might. but I don't think independents pay attention to the chaos. they pay attention to what affects them personally and the last couple weeks leading up to the election. it is FAR too early to tell which way anyone will break. 
    They sure did and were turned off by it the last two elections, Hugh...

And it will be impossible to ignore it again next year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    he's not president right now. there likely won't be much "chaos" to speak of. there will be no urgency to change course. he got 74 million votes last time (which was higher, even in losing, than any previous candidate). a LOT of independents swung his way. and many more may if the economy is shit. 

I'm not saying he'll win. I just think it's incredibly early to say "he has no chance". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2023
    he's not president right now. there likely won't be much "chaos" to speak of. there will be no urgency to change course. he got 74 million votes last time (which was higher, even in losing, than any previous candidate). a LOT of independents swung his way. and many more may if the economy is shit. 

I'm not saying he'll win. I just think it's incredibly early to say "he has no chance". 
    He will likely be facing 3 separate trials by this time next year, Hugh. Different kind of chaos. Independents like me are going to see that and be reminded of his chaotic presidency and say "yeah, nope. not again."

Caveat is if the economy totally tanks, of course. Inflation is down again as of this morning though. 

Also, who are you quoting with the "he has no chance?"
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    yeah unless the economy completely tanks, he's not going to win-Juggler

yeah, big ifs. big buts. we'll see. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,943
    OnWis97 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Now that the legal system has confirmed him as a sex pest, I wonder will it cost him any votes with the evangelicals.
    Have evangelicals ever truly been against sexual assault? Biblical themes have long been used as a rationale for rape culture. If anything this will harden the persona on how women are not to be believed and how we need to get back to the good old days when they knew their place.

Ouch!  This is way over-generalizing.  I'm no evangelical, but I know people who are and it would be absurd to label them as being OK with sexual assault.  We really should be more careful here about generalizing.  This is sort of like JB's concern than some folk here are label all Republican as "evil" which, of course, is not at all true.

As for getting back "to the good old days when they knew their place", there are always going to be some backwards and ignorant people who think this way, but no way do I see that happening.  For many years, women have gradually made big strides in becoming liberated, independent, and made gains in equal rights (and I fully support that).  We not 100% there yet by any means (especially in some parts of the country) but overall, we have moved well in that precondition.  The number of women in high positions both in government and in industry today compared to 50 years ago is astounding.  Please do not disparage those gains by making inaccurate claims of going back that far in history.  It's simply not going to happen.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Uh....okay. Thanks Hugh. And thanks for the non quotes this time!

Think my track record's been pretty decent on this stuff over the years...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The field
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Edved82 said:

Ouch!  This is way over-generalizing.  I'm no evangelical, but I know people who are and it would be absurd to label them as being OK with sexual assault.  We really should be more careful here about generalizing.  This is sort of like JB's concern than some folk here are label all Republican as "evil" which, of course, is not at all true.

As for getting back "to the good old days when they knew their place", there are always going to be some backwards and ignorant people who think this way, but no way do I see that happening.  For many years, women have gradually made big strides in becoming liberated, independent, and made gains in equal rights (and I fully support that).  We not 100% there yet by any means (especially in some parts of the country) but overall, we have moved well in that precondition.  The number of women in high positions both in government and in industry today compared to 50 years ago is astounding.  Please do not disparage those gains by making inaccurate claims of going back that far in history.  It's simply not going to happen.

How's this: Are evangelicals any more put off by sexual assaults than any other group? That's more than fair.
  • Options

50/50 chances give pretty good odds. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

50/50 chances give pretty good odds. lol
    Tell that to all the people who were wrong.  ;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,272
    "fortunately or unfortunately" was one of the absolute worst things he could have said in that depo. I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew he was fucking dumb. But that was REALLY fucking dumb. 
    yeah wtf lol. that was such an epic way to blow that deposition. like almost painfully stupid, haha.

my buddy is an attorney and he said any time you get deposed you should only say 3 things: "yes", "no", or "I don't know".
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    so,

who is gonna watch the big man on cnn tonight?

i expect that they are gonna basically give him a free handy with softball questions.

someone would need to pay me a million bucks to watch that dumpster fire.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    so,

i expect that they are gonna basically give him a free handy with softball questions.

100%
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "I'll be doing CNN tomorrow night, LIVE from the Great State of New Hampshire, because they are rightfully desperate to get those fantastic (TRUMP!) ratings once again. They made me a deal I couldn't refuse!!!" Trump wrote. "Could be the beginning of a New & Vibrant CNN, with no more Fake News, or it could turn into a disaster for all, including me. Let's see what happens? Wednesday Night at 8:00!!!"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "I'll be doing CNN tomorrow night, LIVE from the Great State of New Hampshire, because they are rightfully desperate to get those fantastic (TRUMP!) ratings once again. They made me a deal I couldn't refuse!!!" Trump wrote. "Could be the beginning of a New & Vibrant CNN, with no more Fake News, or it could turn into a disaster for all, including me. Let's see what happens? Wednesday Night at 8:00!!!"
    i will respond to that with something that has basically become my catchphrase the last few years:

"i am forty or fifty years old, and i do not need this."

• Options
    sneak peak of trump on cnn town hall tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

• Options
    I flip back and forth between that and Knicks/Heat
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,025
    so,

CNN and/or Kaitlan Collins MAY light this fucker up.  He's been a real fucking asshole to her, and that entire network, since the days of wayback.  He did NO sit down interviews or town halls exclusively on CNN for his entire so-called presidency. No Chris Cuomo, no Don Lemon, no Anderson Cooper, no Wolf Blitzer, and no Erin Burnett.

I hope she abso-fucking-lutely torches that POS and he's left a babbling shell of himself.  Fucker.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    so,

CNN and/or Kaitlan Collins MAY light this fucker up.  He's been a real fucking asshole to her, and that entire network, since the days of wayback.  He did NO sit down interviews or town halls exclusively on CNN for his entire so-called presidency. No Chris Cuomo, no Don Lemon, no Anderson Cooper, no Wolf Blitzer, and no Erin Burnett.

I hope she abso-fucking-lutely torches that POS and he's left a babbling shell of himself.  Fucker.
    i hope so too, but with the new ceo and cnn's recent right turn, i just do not see it. 

you don't spent 7 years calling an entire network "fake news" and then suddenly get a free handy from that network. at least in a just world anyway.

• Options
    she used to work at the daily caller. don't count on it. 

he's going on as he knows he needs to. 

but it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed to go on with certain "this topic is off limits" agreement
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,802
    she used to work at the daily caller. don't count on it. 

he's going on as he knows he needs to. 

but it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed to go on with certain "this topic is off limits" agreement
    Any credible news org would not agree to off limit topics, unless it was about his family or something with no public interest. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Easy pass. He can F right off.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,750
    edited May 2023
    I don't even get CNN (or Fox News). I haven't for years now..... And somehow I know so much about both, lol. There is literally news about the news for me to consume.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    That was a trainwreck...and a great reintroduction to how horrible of a human he is to a lot of people who haven't been paying attention. 
    chinese-happy.jpg