Options

R.I.P. David Lindley

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,769
edited March 2023 in Other Music
A little while ago I listened to Wayne Shorter's Super Nova and "Dindi" already had me in tears and then I saw this news on my FB feed and just cried and cried all the more.  Seeing David Lindley live was one of the biggest high lights for me in music.  I just don't know what to say, but what an amazing musician.
This is getting to be a very difficult year.
David Lindley performs on stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcy83pw92yw

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    Very sad loss.  I remember he had his own hit song in the early 80s called "Mercury Blues".
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Very sad loss.  I remember he had his own hit song in the early 80s called "Mercury Blues".
    Yeah, Lindley's version of "Mercury Blues" has long been my favorite.  That 1948 song has been covered a million times but I dare say, never better than on Lindley's album  El Rayo-X (with band of same name).  Win This Record with the same band is great as well.  That was the band I saw and they were hot!  Totally fun and energetic music.
    TUBE David Lindley and El-Rayo-X - 1986-08-09 - San Juan Capistrano  CA SBDFLAC

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    After listening to a bunch of David Lindley music today, I would if you don't know his stuff, start here.  This is a killer good record!  One of the best things to come out of the 80's.  A great album!
    Primary

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,521
    Holy Crap! I missed this.

I saw David in the 80s at a place on the Sunset Strip called Club Lingerie. He was so fucking good, we went back the next night.

RIP, David.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Wobbie said:
    Holy Crap! I missed this.

I saw David in the 80s at a place on the Sunset Strip called Club Lingerie. He was so fucking good, we went back the next night.

RIP, David.

David Lindley in a club setting-- it doesn't get much better!  And how cool that you went two nights in a row!

I saw David Lindley with his band El Rayo-X in May of '89 at the Cotati Club in Cotati just south of Santa Rosa.  So damn good- we just went nuts.  The band/club-crowd energy was amazing.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    brianlux said:
    After listening to a bunch of David Lindley music today, I would if you don't know his stuff, start here.  This is a killer good record!  One of the best things to come out of the 80's.  A great album!
    Primary

You are 100% correct on this album! You are also 100% correct on the energy of that band. If I remember correctly, they were beating on beer kegs and other percussion "instruments" when I saw them.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    Primary

You are 100% correct on this album! You are also 100% correct on the energy of that band. If I remember correctly, they were beating on beer kegs and other percussion "instruments" when I saw them.

"Beating on beer kegs", ha!  Very cool.  I don't remember that but I can picture it.  Good times!

• Options
    this will be like a PM. Brian, since none of these youngsters know david lindley…

that same LA trip, we were gonna see flock of (fucking) seagulls on the sunset strip…it was sold out, so we walked on and found the stray cats at another club…I was dressed for FOS; polo shirt with a popped collar :lol: …we go into see stray cats…every dude is in a white T-shirt with cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve..stray cats in their prime (stray cat strut)…beer bottles flying…fantastic show! :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    this will be like a PM. Brian, since none of these youngsters know david lindley…

that same LA trip, we were gonna see flock of (fucking) seagulls on the sunset strip…it was sold out, so we walked on and found the stray cats at another club…I was dressed for FOS; polo shirt with a popped collar :lol: …we go into see stray cats…every dude is in a white T-shirt with cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve..stray cats in their prime (stray cat strut)…beer bottles flying…fantastic show! :smiley:

Stray Cats, Rob!  That's one hot band!  I have never seen them but I can imagine they put on a great show!  Cool that you got to see them!
    Another hot band I wish I had taken time to see is Los Lobos.  Last night I was listening to their great LP How Will the Wolf Survive? and imagining what a great show they must put on.  Ever see them live?

• Options
    a few times. yes, they’re great.  I also saw david hildago and cesar rosas participate in one of the experience hendrix tours.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    a few times. yes, they’re great.  I also saw david hildago and cesar rosas participate in one of the experience hendrix tours.

Oh man, that must have been great!

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    saw him play with bonnie and bruce h a couple decades ago.... legend
  • Options
    saw him play with bonnie and bruce h a couple decades ago.... legend

Excellent!  I can imagine how cool that must have been.