Pearl Jam - Low Light ft. Jocko Sutherland

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,193
https://youtu.be/XVrFN-dmc-8

Waves roll by. Jocko Sutherland takes to the ocean with "Low Light". Special thanks to Jocko Sutherland, Gavin Sutherland, Dave Homcy, Gavin Murai, and Matt Luttrell.

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,193
    Pearl Jam Made a Music Video Featuring the Legendary Jock Sutherland

The man still loves surfing as much as ever. Watch the full video here. Photo: “Jock”//Screenshot

When I was younger, I had a yellow Sony Walkman. If you’re a certain age, you probably did too — the one with the grey rubber bit that clicked into place over the tape slot. It was “waterproof” unless it was near water. Remember it? I had three tapes: Pearl Jam’s Ten, Green Day’s Dookie, and The Offspring’s Smash. Ten was especially formative for me, although I remember feeling cool hovering near Claire Wright on the basketball court, singing The Offspring’s, “You stupid, dumb-shit, goddamn motherfucker” lyric just loud enough for her to hear and, as a result, think that I was a real bad boy.

But Pearl Jam? Pearl Jam will forever be in my heart.  In 1998, they came out with an album called Yield, which had a song called “Low Light” on it. And recently (I think), they decided to feature the one and only Jock Sutherland surfing with that song as a backer.

Jock Sutherland, as you likely know, is a full-on living legend. Hell, Jocko’s Reef, that fickle left on the North Shore, is named for him. SURFER magazine put him #47 in a 2009 list of the “50 Greatest Surfers of All Time.” He won the the 1967 Duke Kahanamoku Invitational, basically showed the world that tube riding was a thing that could be done very well, and famously rode Waimea at night, for the first time ever, with a rumored head full of LSD. In 1970, however, he picked up and left the North Shore to enlist in the U.S. Army. About a year later, he returned to Hawaii, but Gerry Lopez had grabbed the proverbial tube-riding crown from Sutherland’s mantel while he was gone.

Those days are behind him now, but Sutherland still surfs. And since Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are tied to the surfing world, it makes sense that a legendary band would pay a little homage to a legendary surfer. The video is only available on YouTube (unfortunately), so watch it here.