Weak pinky!

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I've been playing for about 2-2.5 years now and I still cannot build up strength in my pinky (5th finger). I must say, I can pretty much hold my own on guitar, but anything that requires a (strong) hammer-on or a bend with my pinky I'm awful. It just hits flat and/or weak.

I know there are some amazing musicians on here. So I ask you...what can I do to figure this out. Anyone have any pinky exercises?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    There's heaps of excercises that you can do and this is an easy one. You mentioned you play ok so you should have no problems with it. Don't forget to change your finger combo's around as well, like go backwards even. Practice all over the neck, not just the easy frets =).

5-6-7-8---8-7-6-5

5-6--7-8
    8-7-6--5

5--6-7-8
    8-7-6-5

5-6-7-8
    8-7-6-5

5-6-7-8
    8-7-6-5
    ----5--6--7--8
    8-7-6--5----

2----4----4---2

2---4---1----3
    3---1--4---2

2----4---1---3
    3---1-4---2

2----4----1
    3---1-4----2

2---4----1
    3---1--4----2
    --1----3
    3----1

check this out as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BweGp3eTmk
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm not so sure you have too much to worry about. I don't hammer on much with my pinky, but I use it heaps, play most power chords ith it rather than my ring finger.
    Wherever I May Roam solo needs some hammer-ons with it, it copes but just. Few people will do big bends with it either, usually a quarter tone bend maybe, but mostly you get a couple of fingers under a big bend, rather than just expecting the little guy to go it alone.
    So long as you are using it plenty, esp in scales etc, that is pretty much all you can expect from it. It will never have the power to hit the strings like your other fingers will.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Mess around with some minor pentatonics more when doing your own solos/lead work. If you like to use the higher notes like me, your pinky will get used. Also if you want to apply Pearl Jam to it... learn these solos...

"Immortality" Live At Benaroya Hall
    "Alive" Studio Version

They both use the E Minor pentatonic at the 12th fret and the pinky quite a bit.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...