Options

Africa Safari Suggestions/Feedback Wanted

My wife and I are FINALLY starting to plan a trip to Africa to take a wildlife safari. Have been reading travel books and online sites but the choices are a bit overwhelming and I was hoping to hear suggestions and feedback from anyone who has been before. I've been reading a lot about self-drive trips in places like Kruger Park South Africa. Normally we are fairly independent travellers so the idea of a self-drive safari is very appealing however I worry that we might miss a a lot not being with a professional guide. Private lodges are appealing for the guided safaris but holy crap are these places expensive. Might be worth it though it though for a few nights. Maybe do a self-drive in Kruger and combine that with a private lodge in Kenya? Recommendations for name of private lodges, tours, driving tips, anything would be great!

I would also appreciate any feedback about other locations/itineraries in eastern/southern Africa you might have visited that. We will have between 3 to 4 weeks to travel.

Any tips or suggestions is highly appreciated! This is probably going to be a one-time trip to this area so we want to try and get it right as much as possible. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    I am sorry I cannot help you with this but hope there are others here who can/will. It sounds like you are in for an epic vacation!!!

Please do post your experiences and insights here when you return. I would love to have knowledge for this when I book a similar trip in the coming years. Currently we are planning on a 2 week vacation to Alaska in July of 2024. Pending lottery results for lodging at Katmai National Park. 

Best of luck and safe travels!!!

Chris
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    edited January 2023
    Thanks Chris. I'll post an update for sure. Have a great trip to Alaska!