Pearl Jam sell your soul skill. What would you pick?

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
edited August 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know it may seem a little vague but what I mean as a musician who's skill would you like to have most? Ed's voice, Mike's lead, Stone's crazy riffs, Jeff's incredible solid and amazing bass work, or Matt's insane drum skills?
Exclude writing (in they lyrical sense) and just those mentioned...if you had to pick...what would you want?

Me, I'd take Stone's skill...the guy is a "silent genius" at guitar...what he brings to Pearl Jam or any other band is just incredible.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Well I'd pick Matts drum skills. But he is also a really good guitarist and can play bass and keyboards. so do I get those skills aswell?;)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Stone "Riffmeister" Gossard for me also thanks!!! :)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Absolutely Stoney Riffmeister Gossard. There are any number of great lead players out there, but there are a small handful of great riff makers.
    Stone is there with Page, Keef and James Hetfield as one of the all time great riffmeisters.
    Very few others have the output or the longevity.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    not that I would, but probably Jeff's Bass

I honestly think all great bands have great bass players, it's the foundation and Pearl Jam has one of the best in raw talent and musicianship.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Stone's ability to put amazing songs together. (not a fan of his lyrics though)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Wow man tough question! All members of the band are extremely talented at what they do and I love them all, but everytime I hear Ed's voice I get chills! Listen to Release and tell me if you get the same chills as I do even though it's been 16 years since they wrote that song. I still get chills everytime I hear it! I love Mike's lead playing, Stone's riffs, Jeff's solid bass lines and Matt's dynamics and character on the drums but like I said, I think Ed's voice is just very rare and gives me goose bumps everytime I hear it. As soon as you hear it, you know it's Eddie Vedder. The best voice in music! All members of the band together as a whole make the best band in the world. They all work and sound amazing together!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    definitely ed's everything. sometimes i think i just wish i was him =0. i do idolize the man. i play guitar though, and would love to have mike or stone's skills, but overall i'd take the whole package and go with ed.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Stone and Ed are the 2 most talented IMO. As good as Mike is, he copies quite a bit. That takes nothing away from him, but gives more to Ed and Stone. Matt is really basic and I've said before on this forum, he's my least favorite drummer. He plays with little dynamics and he's more of a metronome than an artist. Jeff is awesome but he is fortunate enough to bass his lines off of the rest of the band, even though his songs are awesome.

Ed is the John Lennon of this era. His skill for writing lyrics is untouchable. Stone has a similar nack for writing a riff that will get stuck in your head and become so recognizable.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    stone. i'll never approach that sort of creativity.

i like his lyrics too. bayleaf etc.
  • i would trade for Ed's voice and writing ability.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • It would have to be Stone's incredible guitar skills. I just love his style.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    It would have to be Stone's incredible guitar skills. I just love his style.

Yep, me too!

The guy is fricken amazing!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    riff-meister extraordinaire Gossard.
    Seriously, how underrated is this guy.
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    i'll take stone's endurance. he's definitely a rock. ever try keeping perfect time and rhythm during a 10 minute version of daughter (same for matt but i don't play drums). his wrists must have steel cables for tendons.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • I already tried selling my soul it doesn't work all it takes is practice practice practice!!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    4 that price I'll take all of them & a piece of cheese
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Gotta love the cheese!!!
    Makes much more sense.................
    To Live......................
    In the present tense.