I was musing over the weekend...

LauriLauri Posts: 748
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
that for some reason, after months-or even a year-of not playing guitar, I can pick it up and play Blackbird perfectly. In fact, it's really the *only* song I've ever been able to play well at all from beginning to end. I took lessons for years, I attempted to learn countless songs, and I *sucked* at guitar, really, really bad (no patience and I don't like to sit still). But for some reason I just picked Blackbird right up. Now it's not a hard song, but it's also not the easiest I've tried. And it's a good song, but it's not like my favorite or anything...but seriously I could pick up a guitar right now and play it and people would think that I know what I'm doing. Does anybody else think this is weird? and does anybody (who might have some idea about this) have any theories as to why this is???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    no it's not wierd at all. Blackbird is probably a song you like. You learned it well on guitar and its like riding a bike. The chords and progressions just fit with your brains view of music so for you it's easy just as I am with Ben Harper songs.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    take these broken wings and learn to fly...
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    so you think that people have intrinsic propensities for different...let's say..."structures" of music?
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    The chords and progressions just fit with your brains view of music so for you it's easy just as I am with Ben Harper songs.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by shoedriver
    so you think that people have intrinsic propensities for different...let's say..."structures" of music?

totally. could i ever play speed metal? no.
    hmm I think I'm now thinking about stuff more specific than that though...I mean speed metal is a whole genre...I'm thinking about what I like about playing this song and it's that it's sort of...deliberate? does that make sense? it's very clear and precise?...I think I like finger picking, now that I think about it.
    Originally posted by exhausted
    totally. could i ever play speed metal? no.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ok, i understand now and i still agree. every player has a strong suit i think.
    yes, music is the language of your soul.

The music your soul identifies with speaks to you. You can feel it tingle inside. What sounds right and feels good to you.

For me pentatonic blues scales a drummer a bass player and a singer that can belt like Ella Fitsgerald does it for me. but at the same time I get chills from the Brandenburg Concerto's or Mozart's Requiem

For you it's Blackbird

For Exausted it's different too

Fingerpicking is pleasureable to you so you like songs like blackbird, that's what you should focus on.

For me starting out, I had a love affair with the D chord I played it night and day and all the progressions I could muster.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    but most of the songs I like I can't wrap my brain and my fingers around...I think there's a lot more to it than just what "speaks to you."
    yes, music is the language of your soul.

The music your soul identifies with speaks to you. You can feel it tingle inside. What sounds right and feels good to you.

For me pentatonic blues scales a drummer a bass player and a singer that can belt like Ella Fitsgerald does it for me. but at the same time I get chills from the Brandenburg Concerto's or Mozart's Requiem

For you it's Blackbird

For Exausted it's different too

Fingerpicking is pleasureable to you so you like songs like blackbird, that's what you should focus on.

For me starting out, I had a love affair with the D chord I played it night and day and all the progressions I could muster.
    I can't play like McCready but I can try.

You aren't going to be able to play everything ever, but if you start out learning a style that you like eventually you will get better.

If you are playing in a style you aren't comfortable with or aren't slightly good at you are more likely to put the instrument down and forget about it. It has to be fun and interesting first so you can learn more and get better.
    well I don't think I'm actually going to be playing, I just think it's kind of interesting. I mean every other song in the world was like, "no, I give up." and then this one song I sat down and learned and can still play how many years later? I'm just really wondering if there's something to it. But then again, I also can't read more than a few pages at a time, but I'll sit down and read 800 pages of Harry Potter in one sitting, so maybe it's just me.
    I can't play like McCready but I can try.

You aren't going to be able to play everything ever, but if you start out learning a style that you like eventually you will get better.

If you are playing in a style you aren't comfortable with or aren't slightly good at you are more likely to put the instrument down and forget about it. It has to be fun and interesting first so you can learn more and get better.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I think I understand what you're saying and I agree with what Pac and Exhausted said.

It's all about the flow of the music and actually being able to FEEL it instead of just playing by memory for me.

I have different issues like ask me what notes to play for Daytripper and Heart-Shaped Box and I'll draw a complete blank. Hand me a guitar and I'll have no problem showing you
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • robrob Posts: 142
    I have certain default passages I always seem to start with if I haven't played for a while. Some things just are always there, like pacmoc79 said, like riding a bike.

It's not necessarily your favorite song, or one that is your style, sometimes it has nothing to do with anything, but your fingers are just comfortable playing it. Ever hike in the quiet woods and get some cheesy disco song in your head. It's not like you even like the song, it's just there!

Ever have a thought in your head that you suddenly realize has nothing to do with the thread your on? I think I'm doing that right now! I DO realize ,however, that Blackbird is NOT a disco song.
    How,,,,,did I GET here?!