Vs helped develop my social conscience

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
I was 15 when Vs came out, grew up in a fairly liberal home, with parents who stayed connected to the news of the day. Was really thinking about why Vs is my favorite album of all time and besides the more obvious reasons we all know, a lot of my developing social conscience at the time of the album was solidified through listening to it. It isn’t a unique experience I’m sure, Clint Brownlee’s tiny book about Vs echos this. Did the album do the same for anyone else? Did it have a lasting impact? How if so? 
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,816
    People in 2020: "I liked Pearl Jam before they were woke."

Real fans: "Ummm..."

Vs is part of the reason for that reply.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • People in 2020: "I liked Pearl Jam before they were woke."

Real fans: "Ummm..."

Vs is part of the reason for that reply.
    Somehow I missed that in 2020.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,878
    I got into PJ in 98, their views played a part in how I view things today for sure.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• I was always into punk and hardcore so some social issues were already there for me.

WMA still to this day is such a powerful song with the music and the lyrics.
  • I think I got it from my parents. And through osmosis from by born and raised in a country based on Social Democratic values. 

Started listening to PJ at 16. I think my moral compass was well adjusted already by then.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,626
    I don't attribute it to the album, but other than my parents (who I would consider pretty fairly centrist for the 90s - they were pretty liberal after the past 6 years), the band certainly has been a big compass in the development of my social conscious because of the topics they supported or shown light on.