If you could ONLY listen to classical music (see limitations) for a year, what would you listen to?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
Here's the scenario:  You've been abducted by (mostly) friendly aliens for a year and they set you up with a very comfortable listening room and a terrific stereo but the only music they have available for you to listen to is what we refer to as "classical" music.  By that, I mean music scored for orchestra, but would also include some solo piano music- but only as etudes, preludes, polonaise, and nocturnes.  They have nothing like more recent avant garde (like Cage, Reich or Glass) and the only modern composers include earlier 20th century people like Elger, Copeland, Ives, Vaughn Williams, Ravel, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Shostakovitch.  The aliens also tend to shy away from popular pop-classical and film score composers, and may really turn evil if they hear Disney film or children's movie score music coming out of your room more than at most once a month.  Careful there!

So what are you going to listen to, if anything? (No music is an option, but God help you if you go a year without music.)

For myself, I would definitely listen to the impressionists like Debussy and Ravel. Charles Ives, for sure.  I would relax with a little Chopin now and then.  I would indulge in Beethoven, especially symphonies 1 through 8 (#9?  Nahhh), and some other classic big-time symphonies.  Maybe a little Mozart now and then.

But I would also delve into some of the the more adventuresome works like Holst's Planets, and get into some of the more challenging stuff like Bartok,
Schönberg, Shostakovic, and Janáček.

OK, you just been abducted.  One whole year!  What will it be?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Is opera included or only lyric-less orchestral works?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Can we listen to what the aliens listen to? That would be my choice something totally new to my ears! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Bach, give me Bach!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited December 2022
    eddiec said:
    Is opera included or only lyric-less orchestral works?
    You might get away with some opera if played discretely and on low volume.  These particular aliens hear operatic singing kind of like the way we hear goats having sex and they're rather squeamish that way.
    Can we listen to what the aliens listen to? That would be my choice something totally new to my ears! 
    For eons, these aliens only listened to two notes beeping and thought that was music.  Only recently did they discover music from our world and for some reason only listen to classical music.  OH, what they are missing!
    Bach, give me Bach!
    Thunderous organ music shaking the alien space ship walls.  You have made the aliens very happy, indeed!
    I used to like the Brandenburg concertos but kind of tired of them.  Still, how can one knock Bach, right?!

Your mention of Bach peeked my curiosity about how long organs have been around, so I looked it up. It's amazing to me that the pipe organ was created as early as it was-  3rd century, B.C. Greece, wow! 
    Here's a photo of the oldest organ found to date, Greek, 1st century B.C.
    By I, QuartierLatin1968, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2405220

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Bach, give me Bach!
    Stallone, Van Damme, and Schwarzenegger will star in a movie about great composers. They are on set choosing their roles...

Stallone: I'll be Mozart.
    Van Damme: I'll be Beethoven.
    Schwarzenegger: __________.

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Hobbes said:
    Bach, give me Bach!
    Stallone, Van Damme, and Schwarzenegger will star in a movie about great composers. They are on set choosing their roles...

Stallone: I'll be Mozart.
    Van Damme: I'll be Beethoven.
    Schwarzenegger: __________.

Ha ha, I hope you made this joke up.  Either way funniest thing I've heard in a while.
  • Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
    Pachelbel’s Canon - Johan Pachelbel
    Symphony No. 5 in C Minor - Beethoven
    The Planets, Op 32, The Bringer of War - Gustav Holtz
    Symphony No. 40 in G Minor - Mozart
    The Valkyrie: Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner
    Coriolan Overture, Op. 62 - Beethoven
    Flight of the Bumblebee - Ida Cernecka 
    La stravaganza - Vivaldi 
    The Four Seasons -  Vivaldi
    Dance of the Goblins - Bazzini
    Francesca de Ramini - Tchaikovsky

I like the heavier, darker classical music.  Cranked up that stuff is like metal… just intense. Love it. Great thread idea blux! 

• Granted, Flight of the Bumblebee and Pachelbel’s Canon are neither heavy or dark, just beautiful pieces of music.  
    Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
    La stravaganza - Vivaldi 

I like the heavier, darker classical music.  Cranked up that stuff is like metal… just intense. Love it. Great thread idea blux! 

Great list there! 
    I was going to listen to The Planets this evening but got busy so saving it for tomorrow's all day rainy day.
    Granted, Flight of the Bumblebee and Pachelbel’s Canon are neither heavy or dark, just beautiful pieces of music.  
    Yes, for sure, and Bumblebee is fun to listen to.

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2022
    brianlux said:
    Carmina Burana - Carl Orff
    La stravaganza - Vivaldi 

Great list there! 
    I was going to listen to The Planets this evening but got busy so saving it for tomorrow's all day rainy day.
    Granted, Flight of the Bumblebee and Pachelbel’s Canon are neither heavy or dark, just beautiful pieces of music.  
    Yes, for sure, and Bumblebee is fun to listen to.

Thanks man. I’ve always liked classical music with some bite. My wife is a former figure skater and skated to a lot of classical music. Her love for it has rekindled my own passion and we have been expanding the classical genre in our vinyl collection. 👍

We have some similar favs, although some of the stuff you like I’m unfamiliar with. Will have to check them out! 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

Haha!  :lol:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    edited December 2022
    The D would have to play a rock block of Bach.
    https://youtu.be/mXjNATmIruI

After that, I'll take the probe.

Perhaps some Tchaikovsky to sooth me as I cry in the corner during recovery time. 😅 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The D would have to play a rock block of Bach.
    https://youtu.be/mXjNATmIruI

After that, I'll take the probe.

Perhaps some Tchaikovsky to sooth me as I cry in the corner during recovery time. 😅 

"rock block of Bach"  Haha!  Love it!

• We played a bunch of Bach in school and it was a lot of fun to play.  Other classical stuff is an absolute bore to play.  When they sped things up is when it got fun.
    edited December 2022
    My wife and I sat down and listened to Beethoven's 8th Symphony this evening- one of my top three of LVB's symphonies.  What a great piece- one side of an album, economical yet not lacking, great themes woven throughout, terrific dynamics, killer finish.  Awesome.  Beethoven, is like the rock and roll of classical music at times.

• brianlux said:
    My wife and I sat down and listened to Beethoven's 8th Symphony this evening- one of my top three of LVB's symphonies.  What a great piece- one side of an album, economical yet not lacking, great themes woven throughout, terrific dynamics, killer finish.  Awesome.  Beethoven, is like the rock and roll of classical music at times.
    It's all about the build up, the Crescendo!
  • Christopher Young

https://youtu.be/wxIFzdwrzek
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:
    I was looking at an 8LP boxset with all LVB symphonies. I would want a stellar copy. What do you have Brian? Any recommendations? 
    brianlux said:
    I was looking at an 8LP boxset with all LVB symphonies. I would want a stellar copy. What do you have Brian? Any recommendations? 

I grew up listening most of them on Deutsche Grammophon as conducted by Herbert von Karajan, although I like the 6th conducted by Karl August Böhm (also on DG) better, and have long loved Leonard Bernstein's version of the 5th on Columbia.  The thing is though, I know of classical fans who are big fans of DG, and the more astute such fans are, the more likely they are to tell me I'm full of shit, lol.  Die hard classical fans are rather fanatical about their choices! 
    One thing I have that I like and might be helpful is this reference.  It's not helpful for choosing a vinyl source for the music, but it does have a lot of helpful info about many of the versions of a ton of classical music- the conductor, the orchestra, the way it was recorded, etc.:

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I grew up listening most of them on Deutsche Grammophon as conducted by Herbert von Karajan, although I like the 6th conducted by Karl August Böhm (also on DG) better, and have long loved Leonard Bernstein's version of the 5th on Columbia.  The thing is though, I know of classical fans who are big fans of DG, and the more astute such fans are, the more likely they are to tell me I'm full of shit, lol.  Die hard classical fans are rather fanatical about their choices! 
    One thing I have that I like and might be helpful is this reference.  It's not helpful for choosing a vinyl source for the music, but it does have a lot of helpful info about many of the versions of a ton of classical music- the conductor, the orchestra, the way it was recorded, etc.:

Ok cool. I have a 1968 German DG pressing of Carl Orff Carmina Burana and a couple other DG pressings, usually pick them up pretty cheap at antique shops. DG are solid to great pressings from what I’ve observed
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ok cool. I have a 1968 German DG pressing of Carl Orff Carmina Burana and a couple other DG pressings, usually pick them up pretty cheap at antique shops. DG are solid to great pressings from what I’ve observed

Yeah, I like them a lot as well.  I'm not sure why in some circle they get a bad rap.  I've enjoyed many of them for a long time. 
    Maybe it's the seams.  Those European DG pressings can give you some good practice re-gluing the sleeve seams, haha!  At least they split such that they can be re-glued!

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Carmina Burana is amazing with the right performance.  Give me some Wagner, and we have perfect German soul music.  Melancholy is part of our fiber
    hrd2imgn said:
    Carmina Burana is amazing with the right performance.  Give me some Wagner, and we have perfect German soul music.  Melancholy is part of our fiber
    Carmina Burana... not being a big choral fan, I don't believe I've ever listened to the whole thing, but I really should give it a fair chance some time.  Any recommended performances?

• Tom and Jerry have a good likening to it.
    https://youtu.be/3Wsx22WxWOc
    Tom and Jerry have a good likening to it.

Those rascals, lol!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2022
    I listen to classical quite a bit - I love piano heavy pieces, Yo-Yo Ma cello colabs are always wonderful, and some featuring the violin are just amazing. I'd be happy going with the greats - Beethoven, Mozart, Bach... I would not mind only listening to classical for a year, just as long as there is none of that stuff, like court of Henry VIII kind of stuff, I hate that tinkling sounding classical. And please no Sousa, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianlux said:

Those rascals, lol!
    Cartoons is how I learned about Cab Calloway and Habanera, Beethoven and the like.  They weren't exactly in my parents' wheelhouse but I came to enjoy them through Warner Bros and Tom & Jerry.  Taught me Spanish too Mama yo Quiero.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I listen to classical quite a bit - I love piano heavy pieces, Yo-Yo Ma cello colabs are always wonderful, and some featuring the violin are just amazing. I'd be happy going with the greats - Beethoven, Mozart, Bach... I would not mind only listening to classical for a year, just as long as there is none of that stuff, like court of Henry VIII kind of stuff, I hate that tinkling sounding classical. And please no Sousa, lol.

Years ago when I was living in Mountain View in the Bay Area I had a neighbor who frequently used to leave her door open and blast John Phillips Sousa and the like on a fairly regular basis.  Some days, I thought I was going to lose my mind, lol. I found lots of reasons to get out and do other things!

brianlux said:

Those rascals, lol!
    Cartoons is how I learned about Cab Calloway and Habanera, Beethoven and the like.  They weren't exactly in my parents' wheelhouse but I came to enjoy them through Warner Bros and Tom & Jerry.  Taught me Spanish too Mama yo Quiero.

Interesting!  Yeah, I remember cartoons that used music in very cool ways. 
    Although not classical music (so a bit off topic), I remember a cartoon that I saw just the one time when I was fairly young- maybe 5 or 6 or 7- that had this crazy family running around the house and they were all singing this song that I thought was cool.  I still remember the  melody and these few lines from the song:

We are a happy family
    We laugh and sing and dance all day.

Never have found that cartoon since way back when.

• brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Years ago when I was living in Mountain View in the Bay Area I had a neighbor who frequently used to leave her door open and blast John Phillips Sousa and the like on a fairly regular basis.  Some days, I thought I was going to lose my mind, lol. I found lots of reasons to get out and do other things!

brianlux said:

Those rascals, lol!

Interesting!  Yeah, I remember cartoons that used music in very cool ways. 
    Although not classical music (so a bit off topic), I remember a cartoon that I saw just the one time when I was fairly young- maybe 5 or 6 or 7- that had this crazy family running around the house and they were all singing this song that I thought was cool.  I still remember the  melody and these few lines from the song:

We are a happy family
    We laugh and sing and dance all day.

Never have found that cartoon since way back when.
    Concerto piano was very much a thing in Tom & Jerry though.

As for your cartoon you are looking for, a word might be off.  I wish I had more to go off of cause I would find it!.