Want to get a Bass guitar plz read

kDoGG3n4kDoGG3n4 Posts: 228
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am thinking of getting a bass guitar to my collection...

I play guitar and so does my girlfriend....We own 4 guitar (2 elctric and 2 acoustic each) We also like to gather alot of instruments becuase alot of our friends play.....And we are thinking of getting a bass

The question is.....Should we get a Acoustic Bass or a Electric Bass
And What is a good, but also cost affordable bass

Please help us out
The Answers are Fatal.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    electric bass.

the bass i'm getting is made by Ibanez, and is very low priced and has nice quality. I've never had any real problems with their guitars that wasnt my fault, so I'm trusting them for bass for my first bass.
  • kDoGG3n4kDoGG3n4 Posts: 228
    Thankx for the advice

Does anyone have other other...

Also .. any advice on acoustic basses
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • i have an ibanez bass too...its really good, i enjoy it because i dont play much of bass, but the one i have its something between "amazing" (gibson les paul) and something beginner like (squier strat 99$)....its like a fender standard strat (yet mine, the fat strat JUST ROCKS!)

electric you would want because it goes great with regular jamming and goes great with unplugged stuff

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519506/

thats the one i have, yet mine is in a faded greenish color with a white pickguard
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I'm getting either this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519499/

or this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/519524/

I've played on both and like them both, and for what I want to used it for, I think it is a good bass. Like I said earlier, I think Ibanez makes good instruments, especially for beginners and people who dont want to spend much.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd say go electric. I've not been really impressed with most acoustic bass guitars, and the few worth looking at are really expensive.

I'd recommend a Fender P-Bass or J-Bass. Squier if you're cheap, Mexican Fender if you're less cheap. There are a lot of other options out there, too... a friend of mine just picked up an Epiphone Thunderbird bass, and it's pretty sweet. I was recently impressed by an Epiphone Les Paul bass. And another friend owns an OLP bass (Officially Licensed Products, they make cheap versions of Ernie Ball/Music Man gear) that is amazing, especially considering the price. I'd recommend any of those, honestly. The OLP is the best value, but the Fenders are the most universal and would be the easiest to re-sell if it didn't get used.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Stick with electric. I have been looking for a good acoustic for about 8 years. I talk my self out of them due to cost of a descent one. And I talk myself out because I can't justify spending that much on a bass that I won't use. So I'd go get a p-bass instead.

Electric wise.

Fender either a mexico or squier Jass or P.

Or even a Peavey Milestone. I think I'd personally go with a milestone then a squier brand Fender

Then get your self a low priced peavey amp!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pat H wrote:
    electric bass.

the bass i'm getting is made by Ibanez, and is very low priced and has nice quality. I've never had any real problems with their guitars that wasnt my fault, so I'm trusting them for bass for my first bass.

What kind? I am a guitar player and just bought an Ibanez bass to tool around with and it's been great so far.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    What kind? I am a guitar player and just bought an Ibanez bass to tool around with and it's been great so far.

one of their GSR models. I'm a guitar player and am buying the bass just to mess with and, if need be, play in bands with because the music scene here is rather small and anything that is not guitar is not exactly easy to come by.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Pat H wrote:
    one of their GSR models. I'm a guitar player and am buying the bass just to mess with and, if need be, play in bands with because the music scene here is rather small and anything that is not guitar is not exactly easy to come by.

Cool, that's what I got. Good choice.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/508160/

What do people have to say about this bass???

Also the place I looked at had a nice bass guitar, left handed, electric.... for $189.......THe brand started with an A (but I can not remember the name)
    The Answers are Fatal.
    Anyone else have any adivece or anythign
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    I recently picked up an electric bass.

I first got a Fender Strat, but after playing it for a few days I exchanged it for an ESP B-50. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I think I tried every bass in its price range (sub $300Cdn) that music stores around me carry. The ESP was easily my favorite.
    BinFrog wrote:
    Cool, that's what I got. Good choice.

and I ended up getting the GSR100, and its exactly what I was looking for. Cheap bass just to mess around with.

Didnt get an amp. I'm just playing it loud enough to hear through a guitar amp for now.