So, what is the source for the "HD" version of Chop Suey?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,101
edited November 2022 in The Porch
Are we talking a Standard definition upscale here? This was shot on 35 mm (was it not?):

Here are other things shot on 35mm:

The Guns N' Roses video, uses elements from 1991 (11 years older than the Chop Suey videos) and was also released this month.

Why not go back to the original film elements, and put into the time and effort to make it as good as possible? Doesn't fit into the budget for Riot Act? With the Showbox and Live at the Garden both being shot on SD (Live at the Garden was shot on Sony DSR-WS 500 I believe) this would have been the chance to see OUR BOYS in real "HD"/4K and not having the Rio Act era being stuck in SD.

Are you cheapening out on Riot Act @Rubysdad or are the original film assets gone forever following poor archiving, like the uncut version of Friday the 13th part 7: A New Beginning? Or wasn't it shot on 35mm like I have always heard it was?

And please replace the aliased mess that is your "HD version" of Thumbing my way. Put up a true 4K restoration of it. Respect the bands greatest album. Please.

I am looking forward to a response. This stuff is interesting.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,101
    edited November 2022
    35mm - you can clearly see Axl's nice looking NIN tshirt.

35mm - you can barely make out Eddies Calvin Klein boxers

Restore the Chop Suey videos!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I would also love to see an HD (Bluray) release of imagine in cornice.  It even advertises it was filmed in HD, it's gootage is use in pj20 in hd, but it's never gotten a bluray release :(
    Just watch them on Youtube.  They do look like upconverted SD.

Was it filmed on 35mm?  I know nothing of it's origin except filming band stuff on film is really rare.  If it was, it's possible they did the original mastering and editing in SD, which would require them to rescan the film, and do a new edit/master.   Probably not something they would want to spend calories on? Be cool if they did.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Even Ed had his pants sagging in the early 2000s. Weird to have an underwear shot from him.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    Zod said:
    I would also love to see an HD (Bluray) release of imagine in cornice.  It even advertises it was filmed in HD, it's gootage is use in pj20 in hd, but it's never gotten a bluray release :(

Same here man. Imagine In Cornice totally needs a Blu-ray release. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,101
    edited November 2022
    Zod said:
    yes. Not releasing it on bluray (and maybe hd-dvd) in 2007 was weird. Didn't it say like "SHOT IN HD" on the dvd-cover. Or like in 08 atleast.

Also, I haven't seen PJ20 in like 10 years - but didn't the Immagine in Cornice-shots look like crap on that? I remember something being off. Like interlacing issues, or it looking very murky/compressed or something. As in, not looking as good as the original HD-CAM-files should have. 
  • demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Same here man. Imagine In Cornice totally needs a Blu-ray release. 
    Oooooooor.... a Touring band edit from the stuff they shot over those five shows. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    I don't know why but that Calvin Klein shot feels like I've seen that before. Like a deja vu. But I like all of us never seen this video before last Friday
    I miss igotid88
    Zod said:
    yes. Not releasing it on bluray (and maybe hd-dvd) in 2007 was weird. Didn't it say like "SHOT IN HD" on the dvd-cover. Or like in 08 atleast.

Also, I haven't seen PJ20 in like 10 years - but didn't the Immagine in Cornice-shots look like crap on that? I remember something being off. Like interlacing issues, or it looking very murky/compressed or something. As in, not looking as good as the original HD-CAM-files should have. 

Yah, in pj 20 it looked like it had a few struggles. Compression, interlacing, and lighting.   It would of been filmed in 06 which was also the early days of HD, so HD cameras weren't nearly as good back then.
  • Zod said:

I thought the whole Immagine in Cornice looked like crap, from what I remember, but wasn't that filmed on some sort of budget-level Sony Handicam thing and not professional stuff?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Zod said:

I thought the whole Immagine in Cornice looked like crap, from what I remember, but wasn't that filmed on some sort of budget-level Sony Handicam thing and not professional stuff?
    No. It was shot on the same cameras we used in film school and pretty much what George Lucas used on Star Wars Episode II. From what I remember. Sony something 750. HD-CAM. Just before RED came and changed it all up. 

How it looked in PJ20 is not representive of the source material. I am sure of it.

If it - as I remember it had some weird interlacing problems - that is someone fucking up. There is no interlacing inherit in the tech. You shoot progressive. 

(Everything above based on my memory from 2007-2008 and can be wrong)