Will ‘Can’t Deny Me’ show up on the next album?

2»

Comments

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited November 2022
    I know a band who had a great b-side to one of their singles which they then re recorded and put out on their next record. To be fair it was almost too good just to be a b side. It's also not totally uncommon to rework older songs that maybe don't fit with one album.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • Drive By Truckers did this with The Perilous Night. Came out as a vinyl single and a slightly reworked version appeared two albums later. Of course, that song rocks, and I had no qualms about it on the record. It worked with the new group of songs.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,158
    Not sure about Can’t  Deny Me but you never know, some of the other unheard tracks from those sessions might!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    It will be on Lost Dog’s II with Cold Confessions , Let it Ride, Leatherman,  Of the Earth and Coal mine Fucker 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 507
    Everyone says CDM was from a different session but if you look at the last Deep Mag you can see some of the recording session lists and it is chilling there with some Gigaton songs we know (cant remember what offhand, I'm not at my normal workspace to check)
  • StoveStove Posts: 320
    Hopefully never...that song was very meh...And I love Pearl Jam.  ;)
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    demetrios said:
    danny said:
    nope
    It seems to have a similar fate to Of The Earth. That being said, I'd love to see Get It Back played live on their next tour.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    Pap said:
    demetrios said:
    danny said:
    nope
    It seems to have a similar fate to Of The Earth. That being said, I'd love to see Get It Back played live on their next tour.
    YES
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    edited November 2022
    I think it's fairly clear that the answer is "NO", "Can't Deny Me" will not ever make a studio album.  There's been a studio version out for 4+ years.  It would make absolutely no sense.  

I didn't realize it was disliked so much.  I think it's ok.  I don't even hate "Ole".  I think "CDM" and "Ole" are as good or better than some album tracks over the years... I'm looking at you "Get Right". 

Somebody said "CDM" maybe has gone the way of "Of the Earth", just not ever making an album... I disagree.  There is still no studio cut of "Of the Earth"!  I think they should do like Radiohead did with "True Love Waits"... a song that floated around forever, performed live even, then they finally put it out on A Moon Shaped Pool.  "Of the Earth" should make an album... I think it would've fit amazingly well on Gigaton... I would've dropped a couple tracks to make room for it on Gigaton.    
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • The rumor is that the band tried doing Of The Earth and with various edits, mixes and re-workings, it just didn't "sound right" or whatever they said.

Don't forget about I'm Still Here, from whenever that was from. (I still contend it was from the No Code era, but I've also heard that's not true.)
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Pap said:
    demetrios said:
    danny said:
    nope
    I was listening to Get It Back today. I would love to see it live.

• wnh1977 said:

I didn't realize it was disliked so much.  I think it's ok.  I don't even hate "Ole".  I think "CDM" and "Ole" are as good or better than some album tracks over the years... I'm looking at you "Get Right". 

Somebody said "CDM" maybe has gone the way of "Of the Earth", just not ever making an album... I disagree.  There is still no studio cut of "Of the Earth"!  I think they should do like Radiohead did with "True Love Waits"... a song that floated around forever, performed live even, then they finally put it out on A Moon Shaped Pool.  "Of the Earth" should make an album... I think it would've fit amazingly well on Gigaton... I would've dropped a couple tracks to make room for it on Gigaton.    

I'll not stand for any "Get Right" slander.

FWIW, I believe Brain of J was a live track before being recorded for Yield. So maybe there's hope for "Of the Earth." I hope so. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    The rumor is that the band tried doing Of The Earth and with various edits, mixes and re-workings, it just didn't "sound right" or whatever they said.

Don't forget about I'm Still Here, from whenever that was from. (I still contend it was from the No Code era, but I've also heard that's not true.)
    yeah, I think they tried recording it 5 or 6 times from what I recall, and it never sounded right. I think it's kinda neat to have a "live only" track, especially these days. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• wnh1977 said:
    I think it's fairly clear that the answer is "NO", "Can't Deny Me" will not ever make a studio album.  There's been a studio version out for 4+ years.  It would make absolutely no sense.  

no....get out of here
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,469
    edited November 2022
    I don’t mind Can’t Deny Me, but I’m not a fan of the vocals. It’s a decent enough song that would’ve been ok as a holiday single. 
    I don’t think it should be on the next record though. I’d much rather brand new songs that fit together.
    It belongs on Lost Dogs II now.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    wnh1977 said:

no....get out of here
    "Get Right" should get out of here.  I'm just kidding.  I said I didn't hate "Ole", but it definitely isn't great.  I hold it in the same regard as "Get Right"... Lost Dogs 2 or a holiday single would've been sufficient for both.  I think I dislike let "Let the Records Play" and "Sleeping By Myself" even more than "Get Right".  

I honestly don't think I'd remove a song off their first 5 studio albums, I think they're all that good... maybe subtract a couple of the throwaway experimental tracks off Vitalogy?  Starting with Binaural, there are definitely album tracks I would've left off... "Avacado" and Gigaton maybe being the exceptions... I don't think there are bad tracks on them.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • NiktoNikto Posts: 135
    FR181798 said:
    I know a band who had a great b-side to one of their singles which they then re recorded and put out on their next record. To be fair it was almost too good just to be a b side. It's also not totally uncommon to rework older songs that maybe don't fit with one album.

Green Day did it with Time of your Life (Good Riddance), Good Riddance was a b-side to the Brain Stew single, was slightly reworked, slowed down and strings added, put on the next album and it became a huge song for them.

Stereophonics has done it a couple of time too, they released a song called Forever as a b-side in 2008 and added it to their new album released in March 2022, same recording.  That single didn't get a huge release at them time, was only released on vinyl in limited numbers but that was 14 years later.

But I think CDM missed its opportunity to 'be on the forthcoming album'. 
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • CDM should have been on Gigaton and capped off a truly awful LP. Ive listened to the album twice and that was enough 

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    rock4ever said:
    CDM should have been on Gigaton and capped off a truly awful LP. Ive listened to the album twice and that was enough 

It isn't though 
    I miss igotid88
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,246
    rock4ever said:
    CDM should have been on Gigaton and capped off a truly awful LP. Ive listened to the album twice and that was enough 

It’s a great record. Replace Buckle Up with Of the Earth and it’s on another level. I’m fine with CDM being what it is. Don’t need it on an album. 
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 770
    Predaking said:
    wnh1977 said:

I'll not stand for any "Get Right" slander.

FWIW, I believe Brain of J was a live track before being recorded for Yield. So maybe there's hope for "Of the Earth." I hope so. 
    I completely agree. Get right is my second favourite Pearl Jam song. One notch below state of love and trust for me.