Long Road - Steven Hyden - Chapter 13 "BU$HLEAGUER"

PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 446
Just finished Chaper 13  "BU$HLEAGUER" and I just want to provide my opinion and what may explain the Uniondale show and reaction to Bushleaguer being played...

Disclaimer - I am really enjoying this book.

I recall that Uniondale show like it were yesterday. I was sitting second row right in front of Mike (epic). The first set was amazing. Then onto Bushleaguer...

I think what many forget is that even though this was not played in NYC proper, the majority of the crowd was from the 5 boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island) and parts of Long Island. Even though this show was in April of 2003; for ALL NYers, 9/11 was still an open wound. There were still services taken place for the fallen that was being identified as sad and crazy as it seems.

I remember looking at my buddy when this was played and said this is not going to end well. Sure enough the most backlash the band has faced ensued. It's not to say they were insensitive to the events, not in the least bit. I think like many were naïve to where they were in terms of Uniondale vs. Manhattan.

Regardless of the stance of the war taking place - right, wrong or indifferent; I know that NYers didn't want to hear it -  a year plus later we were still burying fire fighters, police officers, first responders, civilians...

While Steven does a great job (in my opinion) throughout this book - I feel he could have/should have spoken to some that were in the building.

I will always believe the reaction to Bushleaguer on that night wasn't for any reason other than you had 10,000 plus NYers in a room still dealing with the aftermath of 9/11 and the last thing they wanted to hear was a song as politically charged as that one.

If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    PJ5a1 said:
    Just finished Chaper 13  "BU$HLEAGUER" and I just want to provide my opinion and what may explain the Uniondale show and reaction to Bushleaguer being played...

Disclaimer - I am really enjoying this book.

I recall that Uniondale show like it were yesterday. I was sitting second row right in front of Mike (epic). The first set was amazing. Then onto Bushleaguer...

I think what many forget is that even though this was not played in NYC proper, the majority of the crowd was from the 5 boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Bronx, Staten Island) and parts of Long Island. Even though this show was in April of 2003; for ALL NYers, 9/11 was still an open wound. There were still services taken place for the fallen that was being identified as sad and crazy as it seems.

I remember looking at my buddy when this was played and said this is not going to end well. Sure enough the most backlash the band has faced ensued. It's not to say they were insensitive to the events, not in the least bit. I think like many were naïve to where they were in terms of Uniondale vs. Manhattan.

Regardless of the stance of the war taking place - right, wrong or indifferent; I know that NYers didn't want to hear it -  a year plus later we were still burying fire fighters, police officers, first responders, civilians...

While Steven does a great job (in my opinion) throughout this book - I feel he could have/should have spoken to some that were in the building.

I will always believe the reaction to Bushleaguer on that night wasn't for any reason other than you had 10,000 plus NYers in a room still dealing with the aftermath of 9/11 and the last thing they wanted to hear was a song as politically charged as that one.

I don't think that was it. Many of us NYers from the boroughs didn't like Bush. We knew the difference. I wasn't at the show. And I wouldn't have booed. I doubt 100% of the people booed either. I would say the majority were from L.I. and maybe some from upstate. And of course some from the boroughs were some of the boos. Especially Staten Island.
    I miss igotid88