Taylor Baby Taylor 3/4 six Acoustic

kDoGG3n4kDoGG3n4 Posts: 228
edited May 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to get my fiance a guitar for her wedding gift... She wants to start playing again, she has not played since high school and she wants a 3/4 size guitar.... what do people think of this one.....
The Answers are Fatal.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    tiny...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • kDoGG3n4kDoGG3n4 Posts: 228
    She has mentioned before that she wants a 3/4 size guitar
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's ok. The big baby is also fairly small but sounds better.

There are different versions walnut and rosewood I think that sound and look pretty cool.

In the parlor variety I think Larrivee make one of the best. I think Art and Lutherie has a popular model as well.

I definitely don't think the baby is a bad decision though if that's one you like, just play a few before you make the ultimate decision if you can. More than likely any of the different woods besides sapele will be a special order.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    i have a mine martin, it is awesome. sounds amazing and really fun to play!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
    Keep the advice coming

How much bigger is the Taylor Baby (15/16 size) compared to the 3/4 size.

Her problem is regular sized acoustic guitars are too big for her....and she thinks a 3/4 guitar is best for her..... but maybe a 15/16 is good too
    The Answers are Fatal.
    kDoGG3n4 wrote:
    Keep the advice coming

How much bigger is the Taylor Baby (15/16 size) compared to the 3/4 size.

Her problem is regular sized acoustic guitars are too big for her....and she thinks a 3/4 guitar is best for her..... but maybe a 15/16 is good too

The neck is roughly the same size, the body size is several inches thinner making it easier to hold for smaller bodies and it's also quite a bit lighter but it's big enough to give you a good ringing tone and the baby is a bit thin to my liking. You might also look at Ovation as well since they use a round back design which is also a lot more comfortable. I just don't tend to like the way they sound as much but that's just me
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    So you would say that a 15/16 size Taylor would not be much bigger than a 3/4 size?
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    kDoGG3n4 wrote:
    I want to get my fiance a guitar for her wedding gift... She wants to start playing again, she has not played since high school and she wants a 3/4 size guitar.... what do people think of this one.....

Eddie played a Size 5 Mini Martin on his recent solo tour (I've got it pretty much confirmed from folks at the Acoustic Guitar Forum). But hey, who's got rock star money!

Here's your choices in "Parlor Guitars":

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=283785

I'm watching ebay Larivee's go for $600 - $900 past few weeks (List is $1600 but usually around $1000 - $1200 instore). The Seagull sounded like crap to me at Guitar Center, and I played the Lil Martin that was also a bit too plunky / hollow to my ear. The Ami is well recieved but I haven't heard one...
    [sic] happens
    kDoGG3n4 wrote:
    So you would say that a 15/16 size Taylor would not be much bigger than a 3/4 size?

It is larger, the neck is longer than the 3/4 scale it's a full 25.5 scale length so it's quite normal feeling, the body is bigger but not quite full size dreadnaught... you get roughly half the depth of a normal dreadnaught sized guitar so it's more comfortable and a lot lighter. due to the construction.
    ok... I have a full size acoustic and my fiance thinks it is too big and seems really set that a 3/4 size guitar is good for her... my question is ... would a 15/16 be good for her... I am ordering the guitar online, or at least wanted to. I want to make this guitar perfect (size wise) and the only person I can ask is her and I cant do that.....
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Seriously have her try a Grand Concert size - it's much smaller than the typical 10 size dreadnought.
    Taylor wise, it would be a 12-series (like a 312, 412, 512, etc).
    Taylor lists the Baby as "the perfect starter guitar for young kids".
    Here's the difference Picture wise:
    12 Grand Concert http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Taylor/540374jpg.jpg
    10 Dreadnought http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Taylor/540502jpg.jpg
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    The thing is .. that is a surprise... and all I am running on is that she feels a 3/4 size is a good size for her
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Seriously have her try a Grand Concert size - it's much smaller than the typical 10 size dreadnought.
    Taylor wise, it would be a 12-series (like a 312, 412, 512, etc).
    Taylor lists the Baby as "the perfect starter guitar for young kids".
    Here's the difference Picture wise:
    12 Grand Concert http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Taylor/540374jpg.jpg
    10 Dreadnought http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Taylor/540502jpg.jpg

Yeah, I agree that the grand concert series would be a better guitar.. and probably easier for her to play than the Baby.

The only issue involved would be money. The Baby is around $300... whereas the grand concert 12's start around $1500 (mainly because it's an acoustic-electric)
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
    well she wants a acoustic....not a acoustic-electric
    The Answers are Fatal.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I have an Art & Lutherie Ami, their parlor-sized guitar, and for the money it is about the best acoustic guitar I can find. It's got a *slightly* shorter neck, just shy of 25" (about even with a Les Paul) and a much smaller body. It's a breeze to play, has pretty good tone, and is an amazing value.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    kDoGG3n4 wrote:
    well she wants a acoustic....not a acoustic-electric
    They even make a Baby Taylor with an acoustic/electric option (internal electronics).
    Understand that an Acoustic/Electric just means that you can plug the guitar in if
    you want to - it’s just an acoustic guitar with that "plug in" option available.
    You never even have to plug it in (or put a battery in it for that matter).
    Just don't get that E option if you don't want it (but it's nice to have).
    Like 312CE (Cutaway Electric) - So just go with a plain 312 model.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    kDoGG3n4 wrote:
    She has mentioned before that she wants a 3/4 size guitar
    one of my babys. portability is wicked cool and the sound is amazing. pretty loud too for such a small body, and so comfortable to play (you really notice just how comfy it is when you are sitting down). unfortunately these are not well known here in the USA. maton's are an awesome guitar.

http://www.merrylandsmusic.com.au/images/Diesel-Ad_Mar06.jpg
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Here's a guitar tip from someone who has experienced a lot of guitars and a lot of life. ;)

Your fiance wants a 3/4 sized guitar?

You are going to be married to her and I think the proper sized guitar for her is this:

a 3/4 sized guitar! :D

Problem solved.
    You're welcome! :D

That Larravee Ami is really nice, Like MIG said, as well as the Taylor.

Edit , they are great guitars, too. They sound different from a full sized, but they don't sound like anything if they're in the case and not being played because the owner isn't comfortable playing it. If she has small hands and is is small, that shorter scale can make all the difference! There's nothing wrong with not plying a "normal" sized guitar. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You are going to be married to her and I think the proper sized guitar for her is this:

a 3/4 sized guitar! :D

Problem solved.
    You're welcome! :D

damn straight :)
    Naaa, get her what you want . . . You'll end up with it in the end :p
    Well I wont end up with it in the end because I play left handed.....

Anyways I am leaning towards the 15/16 That is what my uncle said. He said she will get used to playing on the 3/4 and be fine moving up...But I think I am going with the idea of just getting her what she wants.....a 3/4 I cant go wrong with that
    The Answers are Fatal.