Apple iCloud and boot version/quality

The only computer in my life is my work laptop, so that's what i use to download my boots. Every previous gen phone i've had i was able to transfer using the lightning cord. Since upgrading to a 12pro model i can't get the drivers to connect my phone to itunes, so i've just used the iCloud function to access them once they are in my library. My question is, if i do the higher quality ALAC or ALACHD will it make any difference once its transfer to the cloud? I've always just gone with the MP3 since that's what the boot code covered, but i've been thinking of trying the higher quality audio recently.

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237

Thank you!

Your purchase includes a digital copy of music listed below. If your purchase contains pre-orders, downloads will be delivered as they become available. 

mp3: This format is designed to work on all devices. The mp3s were mastered (at 44.1K, 320 kbps) with digital limiting to raise the level of the files to be as “loud” as most other mp3s. If you want maximum compatibility, small file size, and something that will fit into any playlist, choose this.

FLAC (Hi-Res): This format takes up more space and is designed to be used with high-end devices. These files were mastered (at 24 bit 96K) with no digital compression, which means they have more dynamic range, but will not sound as “loud” on less powerful, or portable playback systems. If you have a good system, that you can turn up, and want the best audio quality, choose this. 

wav (Hi Res): This format was mastered from the same source as the FLAC (at 24 bit 96K) and is sonically the same. The file size is larger than the FLAC. If you prefer wav files, or have a system that cannot play back FLAC files, choose this.

www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    If your work laptop is connected to high end stereo surround sound speakers or top quality head phones, go with ALAC-HD. With iCloud you have to download data to stream right? One PJ show is around 3 Gigs, while an MP3 show is around 300 MB. If you're streaming at home with high end speakers using WiFi 6, go with ALAC-HD. 
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited October 2022
    "Splurged" for the ALAC-HD Nashville boot and it sounds fantastic 
  • danofundanofun Posts: 985
    IMHO, always get the highest quality available. The HD files are how the shows were recorded, mixed, and intended to be heard. The non-HD and lossy files are downsampled versions. 

Some will say they can’t hear the difference. That’s likely true with subpar equipment and most mobile devices. Wile you may not have the equipment to take full advantage now, someday you might... Cheers!
  • Zen23Zen23 Posts: 453
    edited October 2022
    Very important information, for all those who want to sync their bootlegs to all their devices via Apple Music library.

You can only listen to your own uncompressed ALAC files in their full quality if they are locally on the device. But as soon as you import them into your iCloud Music app on your Mac, they will be synced to your iCloud Music library so you can listen to them on all your other devices (streaming) and also download them, but only in compressed version. And that as 256 kb/s AAC files.

ALAC Lossless files can only be enjoyed across devices with music that is regularly in the Apple Music catalog. Or if own ALAC files are manually copied locally to each device.