Options

Good audio recording software for PC?

Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
edited November 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I used to use Internet tapedeck, but that stopped working. I need something which is simple but effective. Thanks.
Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i use sonic foundry sound forge to master but that's only two-track. however, i quite like so maybe have a look and see what they offer for multitrack.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com

edit: the bastards sold out to sony.

the only other ones i know off the top of my head are the big ones like protools and cubasis. however, it's possible that these programs have stripped down versions available.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    cubase, maybe a PC version of Cakewalk if it's made.

Sonic Foundry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    cubase, maybe a PC version of Cakewalk if it's made.

Sonic Foundry.

buy a cheap apple and get protools.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    There is a PC version of Cakewalk. It's pretty good. But you really need ProTools for pro-quality. Are you recording multi-track or just stereo? I use the Sound Editor from Roxio Easy CD 5.0 Platinum for my stereo, and it works fine.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    low_lightlow_light Posts: 251
    i used Multiquence. It has limitless tracks and its really good if you have a good soundcard and decent mic. all my PJ covers were recorded with it.

-dm
    www.myspace.com/eotoband
  • Options
    buy a cheap apple and get protools.

fuck apples and fuck pro tools. to respond to the other guy, you dont need pro tools for pro quality. stick with your pc and get cubase. id say get nuendo cause it kicks pro tools ass. but you probably dont want to spend that much. cubase is basically the lower line version of nuendo....still an awesome program in itself...and still much better than cakewalk or sound forge or any of that stuff.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dannyschmanny
    fuck apples and fuck pro tools. to respond to the other guy, you dont need pro tools for pro quality. stick with your pc and get cubase. id say get nuendo cause it kicks pro tools ass. but you probably dont want to spend that much. cubase is basically the lower line version of nuendo....still an awesome program in itself...and still much better than cakewalk or sound forge or any of that stuff.

when did I ever say fuck cubase? I suggested it in another thread. There's nothing wrong with it at all but it's much better than cakewalk or soundforge for that matter all were doing is offering suggestions. You would know better than me anyway.
  • Options

My suggestion was more oriented to the fact that all the pros use ProTools, and taking sessions from place to place would be easier with ProTools. It's like Wal-Mart... it's not exactly the best option, but it gets the job done, and everybody has one somewhere. And I have no problems at all with the quality of ProTools, especially if you have a good front-end.
  • Options
    when did I ever say fuck cubase? I suggested it in another thread. There's nothing wrong with it at all but it's much better than cakewalk or soundforge for that matter all were doing is offering suggestions. You would know better than me anyway.

i never said you said fuck cubase. i just hate apples and hate pro tools. yes a lot of pro audio places uses it and it is the standard right now. but nuendo is creeping up...cause the more people that are using it are liking it better. the post title was asking for software for pc anyway.what i also was saying was that the program itself isnt what makes something "pro quality"...its first knowing what you are doing, and then having good plugins. i know how to use pro tools ...being that im going to school to work in studios and live and sound in general..so if i have to use it i can...nuendo is just a better program...and cubase is very similar to nuendo..being why i pushed cubase. and when it comes to those programs....the guy said he had a pc. yes pro tools is made for pc's but works better on apple's...and nuendo is the opposite....it is on both formats but works better for pc.
    i remember you...i was gonna vote for you one time...but voting isn't cool so i stayed home and got trashed on listerine.
  • Options
    Well, I'd still rather have 2-inch 24 track Studer and 1/2-inch 2 track Ampex mastering reel-to-reel. So there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, I'd still rather have 2-inch 24 track Studer and 1/2-inch 2 track Ampex mastering reel-to-reel. So there.

fuck yea! hehe. analog is still best. im not so much wild about mastering to reel to reel...but if you can afford it...analog all the way!
  • Options
    fuck yea! hehe. analog is still best. im not so much wild about mastering to reel to reel...but if you can afford it...analog all the way!

Hells yeah, you should master to analog tape. The overall compression value is too good to pass up, especially 1/2-inch tape. I would love to just have a 1-inch 8-track for drums... dump it to disc, but run it through a tape deck for that compression. Fattens stuff up so nicely. Bass guitar and vocals would be great, too. Seems like a lot of guys interviewed in Mix still use tape somewhere in the signal path, even if they work in Nuendo or Cubase or, God willing, ProTools.
  • Options
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Hells yeah, you should master to analog tape. The overall compression value is too good to pass up, especially 1/2-inch tape. I would love to just have a 1-inch 8-track for drums... dump it to disc, but run it through a tape deck for that compression. Fattens stuff up so nicely. Bass guitar and vocals would be great, too. Seems like a lot of guys interviewed in Mix still use tape somewhere in the signal path, even if they work in Nuendo or Cubase or, God willing, ProTools.

yes they do. but mostly what they do is either track bass and drums on 2 inch and dump it to computer and finish there...or they record all computer...then dump to 2 inch and mix it 2 inch then drop it back to digital. if you track anything on 2 inch...thats where its getting it's "fattness" from. a smaller 1/2 inch is definitley good for home to dump your mix to from the computer...then right back to the computer to master.