psst...10/18/2022

13»

Comments

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG
    Probably, because I remember a less than overwhelming response when this poster was unveiled. A number of people were underwhelmed by it.
    Because its an outlandishly lazy poster. It's essentially the same as his 2020 poster for the show but from a different angle.  
    An "oulandishly lazy poster" that he still had to sit down and draw. The 2022 poster is an evolution of the 2020 poster, and it's still artwork. Even if it was the same subject from a different angle, that's kinda cool. It's not like a photograph from a different angle. That's a lot of work to be "lazy".

Do you have similar complaints about his Eddie triptych? It's the same pose but on different bridges.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    mpedone said:
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG
    Probably, because I remember a less than overwhelming response when this poster was unveiled. A number of people were underwhelmed by it.
    Because its an outlandishly lazy poster. It's essentially the same as his 2020 poster for the show but from a different angle.  
    An "oulandishly lazy poster" that he still had to sit down and draw. The 2022 poster is an evolution of the 2020 poster, and it's still artwork. Even if it was the same subject from a different angle, that's kinda cool. It's not like a photograph from a different angle. That's a lot of work to be "lazy".

Do you have similar complaints about his Eddie triptych? It's the same pose but on different bridges.
    I doubt he’s referring to the physical labor involved in drawing it as being lazy. He’s referring to the recycled visuals and overall style being nearly a carbon copy of the original as being lazy. It’s not a critique of his talent or the quality of images. Mumford is obviously a very talented artist. Some people may love his style and have no issue with it being repeated throughout his portfolio.  But being repetitive is a valid criticism in the art world. I personally loved those first 3 EV posters.  I thought they were amazing.  But to see the same style repeated dozens of times now kinda takes the bloom off the rose for some people. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    on2legs said:
    mpedone said:
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG

I doubt he’s referring to the physical labor involved in drawing it as being lazy. He’s referring to the recycled visuals and overall style being nearly a carbon copy of the original as being lazy. It’s not a critique of his talent or the quality of images. Mumford is obviously a very talented artist. Some people may love his style and have no issue with it being repeated throughout his portfolio.  But being repetitive is a valid criticism in the art world. I personally loved those first 3 EV posters.  I thought they were amazing.  But to see the same style repeated dozens of times now kinda takes the bloom off the rose for some people. 

I guess, but it is his style; it's not like it's changed in years, so I don't know why anyone would expect it to change now. I think had this been a whole new tour, he'd have gone with a different subject matter, but as it was a reschedule of a show for which he'd already done the poster, I think the "two years later" idea was kinda cool.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • danofundanofun Posts: 985
    mpedone said:
    on2legs said:
    mpedone said:
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG

I guess, but it is his style; it's not like it's changed in years, so I don't know why anyone would expect it to change now. I think had this been a whole new tour, he'd have gone with a different subject matter, but as it was a reschedule of a show for which he'd already done the poster, I think the "two years later" idea was kinda cool.
    ^ this.
    I love that Mumford has style. It may not be your cup of tea, but a Mumford is definitively a Mumford.
  • mpedone said:
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG

It's all computers now.  I think Emek still draws though?
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,933
    mpedone said:
    on2legs said:
    mpedone said:
    Clapper said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    MSG

I think that’s the cool thing about art.  One person can love it and another can leave it.  No one’s right or wrong.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore