Options

Student Loan Debt Relief

2»

Comments

• Options
    Zod said:
    I feel pretty lucky here in Canada that our universities are partially subsidized.  Between student loans, summer employment, and the odd part time job during the school year, I graduated with $27k in student loans.   I could of been more prudent (ie less concerts).  My biggest struggle was finding gainful employment after university.  Took me about 1.5 years until I moved to get a job, then I knocked that fucker out in 3 years.

I can't imagine what it's like now, especially in the US with the huge costs.  I think the biggest challenge here is living.  If your parents don't live where you want to go to university it gets really expensive really quick.
    I heard a great special on NPR one day about US colleges and why they are so expensive.  They do get subsidized and that is why the price is driven up.

Here is an article about some of that.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/672952507/does-more-federal-aid-raise-tuition-costs-not-for-most-students-research-says
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    In Sweden the advice has always been to pay the least amount possible on the student loans because the interest is so low, and instead put the money into the stick market where you get more for your money. 

Sweden is a very strange place.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    In Sweden the advice has always been to pay the least amount possible on the student loans because the interest is so low, and instead put the money into the stick market where you get more for your money. 

That's worth half a semester right there.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Poncier said:

Lol
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    It's for 10k though?  My GF has 100K in debt...
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    mfc2006 said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    Exactly
    We actually talked about trying to get that money and invest it.  We would probably do better in the long run.

My GF is one of those that had zero help from anyone, no guidance and was told by her guidance counselors to go to a good school and it will pay off.  All those people should be hanged.

Get that money? Do I understand you to mean you think you're getting cut a check for this debt relief? That money is going straight to the lender.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Just before midterms!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    mfc2006 said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    Exactly
    We actually talked about trying to get that money and invest it.  We would probably do better in the long run.

My GF is one of those that had zero help from anyone, no guidance and was told by her guidance counselors to go to a good school and it will pay off.  All those people should be hanged.

Get that money? Do I understand you to mean you think you're getting cut a check for this debt relief? That money is going straight to the lender.
    It is? shit.  That sucks.  Well at least she will hopefully get some knocked off and yes I was hoping it was a check cut to us.  Oh well.  We could have done better with it.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mickeyrat said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    mfc2006 said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    Exactly

It is? shit.  That sucks.  Well at least she will hopefully get some knocked off and yes I was hoping it was a check cut to us.  Oh well.  We could have done better with it.
    Yup. Straight to the lender.

Poncier said:

LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Govt loans.  They made their money.  We were looking at what she paid and she has literally paid off one of the loans in interest and has had $300 towards the principal...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I am not a supporter of this as it doesn't actually get at the root cause at all...and I think it is a weird giveaway of other people's $.  I am hoping that it still has a positive effect since it's happening anyhow.

Re:Student loans....my wife and I have had a philosophy throughout our working years.....save heavily for retirement...as much as possible...and limited saving for our daughter's college.  We do plan to pay for college still.  Well, at a minimum pay whatever if would be to attend a good in-state college towards wherever she goes.  But I've always said...no one is going to give me a loan for retirement...but they will for college if we need it.  

I do wish we would make targeted trades/skills free.  Not all community college, but many programs free (it feels like the right next step after high school to provide the current necessary skills)...not all trade/apprentice programs free, but many.  And then even target some 4/5 year programs for free tuition to qualified (not financially, but academically and citizenship) students.  Figure out what we will need 5 years out and help make sure their is a skilled labor force for that.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    I am not a supporter of this as it doesn't actually get at the root cause at all...and I think it is a weird giveaway of other people's $.  I am hoping that it still has a positive effect since it's happening anyhow.

Re:Student loans....my wife and I have had a philosophy throughout our working years.....save heavily for retirement...as much as possible...and limited saving for our daughter's college.  We do plan to pay for college still.  Well, at a minimum pay whatever if would be to attend a good in-state college towards wherever she goes.  But I've always said...no one is going to give me a loan for retirement...but they will for college if we need it.  

I do wish we would make targeted trades/skills free.  Not all community college, but many programs free (it feels like the right next step after high school to provide the current necessary skills)...not all trade/apprentice programs free, but many.  And then even target some 4/5 year programs for free tuition to qualified (not financially, but academically and citizenship) students.  Figure out what we will need 5 years out and help make sure their is a skilled labor force for that.  
    If you plan to join a union then Trade schools are worthless.  I can't tell you how many people went to them only to be told that their training wasn't any good.  Even in the working world it doesn't pan out sometimes but private work it should do you some good.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    mickeyrat said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    mfc2006 said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    Exactly

That would actually piss me off if that was allowed. Not at you, may as well take advantage of the money given. But the whole point is to reduce debt, not get free money to invest. If it did work like that, those who have student debt get free investments? That doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Sweden is a very strange place indeed.  They are all about Rune Magick!
    Helrunar A Manual of Rune Magick Fries Jan  Free Shipping

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    mfc2006 said:
    yikes....still $10K > $0
    Exactly

That would actually piss me off if that was allowed. Not at you, may as well take advantage of the money given. But the whole point is to reduce debt, not get free money to invest. If it did work like that, those who have student debt get free investments? That doesn't make any sense to me.
    It's better they do it this way.  Not many people would invest it would be my guess.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    True. Probably would see more people getting a new car rather than investing it or paying off debt. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mace1229 said:
    True. Probably would see more people getting a new car rather than investing it or paying off debt. 
    That would really help with inflation too!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Amy Coney Barret denied a request from a Wisconsin group to halt the Student loan forgiveness.  It must have good standing if a Trump appointee won't strike it down.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden