Why does it always happen to me?

Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Im re stringing my guitar and frets 1-3 do not fret on the 1st string, ive tried everything, altering everything and still no luck.
Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it could be that the intonation is off a substantial bit or your truss rod needs tightening.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Don't worry, it happens to everybody. If it's what I think you're talking about:
    The third fret is probably worn. That's the most common place, here and the 2nd fret b string.
    Why?,,,, because everybody plays G and D chords and the unwound string digs into the fret and wears a groove, which will make it buzz at the next fret up. Shine a light parallel to the fret and look for grooves.
    You probably need a fret dressing,, which is taking a long straight file and evening out the frets, then recrowning an polishing. $50 to $100 by a good tech.
    Most guitars get fret wear at the lower five frets, and sometimes need a partial refret if it's extreme.
    If you've never done that, take it to a tech and have them fret dress and set it up.

The other thing that it could be is a loose 4th fret. It may be a little high and you're "noting out" on that one. Sometimes you can push it right back in,,, or superglue the end in.
    If this sounds strange and weird,,,, Don't try it yourself! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Why?,,,, because everybody plays G and D chords and the unwound string digs into the fret and wears a groove, which will make it buzz at the next fret up. Shine a light parallel to the fret and look for grooves.
    You probably need a fret dressing,, which is taking a long straight file and evening out the frets, then recrowning an polishing. $50 to $100 by a good tech.
    Most guitars get fret wear at the lower five frets, and sometimes need a partial refret if it's extreme.
    If you've never done that, take it to a tech and have them fret dress and set it up.

The other thing that it could be is a loose 4th fret. It may be a little high and you're "noting out" on that one. Sometimes you can push it right back in,,, or superglue the end in.
    If this sounds strange and weird,,,, Don't try it yourself! :D

Indeed, I hate that, My acoustic is worn out. I had the Les Paul recrowned and polished a couple years ago and the other guitar needs it too.

Refretting is mega $$$
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Indeed, I hate that, My acoustic is worn out. I had the Les Paul recrowned and polished a couple years ago and the other guitar needs it too.

Refretting is mega $$$

Good refretting is! Probably $250 +

You can usually get away with a few fret dressings before you do that, though. Especally if they're larger frets.
    It can be a do it yourself job if you're a bit handy and adventurous.
    It's definitely a commitment once you yank out all the frets!
    It's like putting a new sliding door in your house. Once you cut the wall out,,,, you gotta finish that project!
    I've done quite a few refrets, and my 68 SG needs it. I may do it myself, it's tougher when the neck binding covers the end of the frets.

Good ol' http://www.stewmac.com has all the parts to do it.

Happy holidays to you, Paco.
    I'm in my new old house now! I don't know where anything I own is anymore! In a box somewhere! The house is awesome though!
    Be kind, man

You can usually get away with a few fret dressings before you do that, though. Especally if they're larger frets.
    It can be a do it yourself job if you're a bit handy and adventurous.
    It's definitely a commitment once you yank out all the frets!
    It's like putting a new sliding door in your house. Once you cut the wall out,,,, you gotta finish that project!
    I've done quite a few refrets, and my 68 SG needs it. I may do it myself, it's tougher when the neck binding covers the end of the frets.

Good ol' http://www.stewmac.com has all the parts to do it.

Happy holidays to you, Paco.
    I'm in my new old house now! I don't know where anything I own is anymore! In a box somewhere! The house is awesome though!

same to you buddy, I hope you get plenty of hog jowl rice and black eyed peas this New Years, as well as some Collard Greens......oh yeah that's southern tradition I guess. Hopefully you find your geetars somewhere around.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    same to you buddy, I hope you get plenty of hog jowl rice and black eyed peas this New Years, as well as some Collard Greens......oh yeah that's southern tradition I guess. Hopefully you find your geetars somewhere around.

The geetars I DO know. And I hauled all those friggin big amps up a winding stairway to the 3rd floor. Only to sell them and bring them back down!

I eat collards and black-eyed peas every year! That's the only new years traditional food I eat! (And Pepto Bismol)
    We're going to Philly to see "the Roots" for new years eve. I got a room in town so I don't have to drive, and then the mummers parade and street parties the next day.
    Be kind, man

I eat collards and black-eyed peas every year! That's the only new years traditional food I eat! (And Pepto Bismol)
    We're going to Philly to see "the Roots" for new years eve. I got a room in town so I don't have to drive, and then the mummers parade and street parties the next day.

Nice, if the Falcoons come to Philly and I get a ticket (doubtful :() I may come to town. The Roots should be fun. I'm looking for a party but I don't want to spend 150 bucks to get in to some lame all nighter, I just want to see a concert.
  • It's definitely a commitment once you yank out all the frets!

Either that, or all of a sudden a fretless guitar sounds like a good idea...

The Roots would be an awesome show, for sure... I may be a rocker, but I have a huge soft spot for bands that have a definite groove. And the Roots can groove.

Me, I'll be engineering a buncha white folks playing African drums, and then a big band, at our alcohol-free New Years Eve festival... whoopie.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.