Re stringing my guitar

Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
edited September 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was re stringing my guitar, but all the strings buzz and the strings rub against the pickups, what have I done? I tried adjusting the bridge but no luck.
Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sometimes with adjustable bridges there is a little piece you slide in under the strings on the bridge that holds them up. Thats a horrible description, but I hope I got the point across. Also, make sure the strings are wound in the correct direction and aren't too tense.
  • What kind of (electric) guitar do you have?

If the bridge is a tune-o-matic like most gibsons, then the bridge posts probably got turned/screwed in too far when changing the strings. All you have to do is loosen the strings a bit and raise both of the posts until the bridge is at a better height.

If the bridge is a tremolo, such as a fender, then it could be that the posts (in the case of the newer two-post-pivot bridges, rather than the vintage 6 screw) were turned too tight and need to be unscrewed a bit as in the above case.

Other than that, I'm not too sure what else qould have happened, unless you have some out of the ordinary bridge such as the ones found on some archtops, etc...

Hope that helps!
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Originally posted by LemonYellowSun
    What kind of (electric) guitar do you have?

If the bridge is a tune-o-matic like most gibsons, then the bridge posts probably got turned/screwed in too far when changing the strings. All you have to do is loosen the strings a bit and raise both of the posts until the bridge is at a better height.

If the bridge is a tremolo, such as a fender, then it could be that the posts (in the case of the newer two-post-pivot bridges, rather than the vintage 6 screw) were turned too tight and need to be unscrewed a bit as in the above case.

Other than that, I'm not too sure what else qould have happened, unless you have some out of the ordinary bridge such as the ones found on some archtops, etc...

Hope that helps!

Thanks, you made me realise what I had done, I lowered the posts of the bridge. All is good now thanks.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D