Options

a pumpkins with a fabtone and a pod

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
this is mostly for novawind since we're seeking pumpkins tones.

this is the best i can do with what i have. too much high end still.

jaguar -> POG (slight octave down) -> fabtone -> POD x3 (clean fender twin model) -> verbzilla (plate reverb)

http://fridgemagnetmanifesto.net/audio/clips/cherub.mp3

edit: one with the russian muff without the POG and reverb. some post EQ on the POD and the pickups in series and the bass cut engaged on the jag.

http://fridgemagnetmanifesto.net/audio/clips/cherub_bmp.mp3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    For you and me, it should be painfully easy... there has to be 40 versions of "Cherub" on Line 6 Edit to download to the Pod.

Me, I use my Strat with the Hot Rails bridge pu thru my Sovtek Big Muff into my Mig 50 (the Lead one, probably) and the Marshall 4x10.

Unfortunately, my ProTools stuff is elsewhere, so I can't give you a soundclip...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I couldn't find one I liked on there. They all lacked something. I don't much like the muff stomp in the pod.

I don't have a big clean amp and a closed 4x12 in real life so I can't do it with real air either. I'll try again tomorrow with the muff in place of the dano.
  • Options
    Actually, I thought you came remarkably close already. A rails pickup (or maybe a ceramic humbucker) would probably close the gap entirely.
  • Options
    the jag has quarter-pounders (for now, not for long). i should have just rolled the tone off a bit. i already had the treble on the fabtone right down to zero.

http://billycorgan.livejournal.com/16778.html

the story. it was catherine, not sonic youth.

edit: tried it with the muff but the low end is too loose and thus you lose the definition in the upper registers. (i.e. the octave riffs sound way too garbled).
  • Options
    Yeah, I didn't much care for QP's. They're a little flabby in the lows and lack clarity up top. Good output, but I just couldn't handle the tone.

Personally, I always thought Harmonic Design S-90's would sound great in a Jaguar, although I'm not sure how much monkeying around you'd have to do to make them fit right. I do know that the Hot for Jazzmaster pickups really improved the tone of my buddy's Jazz, so I'd imagine the Hot for Jaguar would work out really well.

As for the Muff tone... it's classic Muff syndrome. It's a buzzsaw in a box, and it always was. No definition, chords are a lost cause, and it's the single least versatile gain pedal on the market. I still love mine.
  • Options
    i'm just putting the current american reissue jag pickups into it. i just want it to sound like a jag.

i think the fabtone ends up working quite well for this. i could easily EQ the top end out to get closer still. it's funny. i haven't used a fabtone in like 10 years. i guess because i don't really create this type of music ever.
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    I'll say that Jeff Tomei had a lot more to do with the Smashing Pumpkins sound
    circa 1992 Siamese Dream than Billy Corgan did (Jeff's credits include bands like
    Smashing Pumpkins, Matchbox Twenty, Jerry Cantrell, Corrosion Of Conformity).
    Here's his discography: http://homepage.mac.com/jefftomei/PhotoAlbum1.html
    Not that this has a lot to do with getting a Pumkins sound with pedals, but Jeff
    is really one of the only guys who truly knows what they used in the studio to
    get their sounds since he's the one that did it for them - so maybe drop him a
    line and ask him if you really want to know (he's even got a myspace).
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫