Poster question

How many folks just collect prints from gigs they e attended vs buy prints they like? Personally I don’t see a reason to own a print from a show I didn’t attend. It just has no meaning to me. It doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate other prints and their beauty. I just can’t justify it. Also I think it helps keep my inventory down to a reasonable level. I’ve only seen 15 PJ shows and even that has made my collection quite big. Hell Boston ‘16 & ‘18 produced what, 11 prints? That’s a lot for 4 shows I saw. Not to mention other bands I see and prints from their shows. Now if I could only get my white whale…Dallas ‘98 ~ Single Slushy Theory. 
Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23 ~ NYC #2 - 9/4/24 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/15/24 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/17/24

Comments

• I only COLLECT prints for shows I attend. But I have to BUY prints for shows I didn't attend as tradebait for the shows I did attend. It's a vicious cycle.
  • I only COLLECT prints for shows I attend. But I have to BUY prints for shows I didn't attend as tradebait for the shows I did attend. It's a vicious cycle.
    I guess I get that. It sucks. Luckily I have every print from every show I’ve attended (sans variants) except for the aforementioned ‘98 Dallas show that I know I’ll never own. 
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23 ~ NYC #2 - 9/4/24 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/15/24 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/17/24
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    I was like that til Emek Chief. if I'm at a show with meh poster I won't get it. With higher prices, shipping, full stash...I'm easing up on collecting. They are fun to bust out, smell and dive into. It's hard to fully appreciate the details from a picture.

• drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    edited October 2022
    I used to be the same and only bought for attended shows (all U.K. based). But I got fed up with having rubbish prints - only had one great one (EV Mumford Bridge 17), a few average ones and then loads of stinkers. London Deathburger 2018 was the final straw. From that point I just bought and framed what I liked so now have some of my favourite prints from the last 15 years in my collection and framed. I mean how could you frame an attended show print like the Deathburger over a beauty like the Sperry Leopard. Doesn’t matter to me that I didn’t do to the São Paulo show.
    Post edited by drfox on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,100
    edited October 2022
    I've always purchased any posters I liked, once I started buying.  (2009 ish)  wish I was a buyer going back to 93, first show.  I'd have a much better collection!
    Have a lot of posters (nothing compared to some here, but crazy compared to normal people) and I only buy ones I really love since the pandemic. 

Pre pandemic I bought most of them, some to keep, some to trade, some to give away, and even some to sell for fund raisers.  (One of the ones I am looking for now is the Klausen Milton Keynes...a poster I've had 2x and given away both times.  One to be auctioned for a good cause and the other to a friend here, whose daughter is named Chloe, and who wanted to gift it to her.)  
    So now i only purchase Klausens that I like (which, is most), Coopers whenever he does one, and then the occasional poster that grabs me.

I can understand people only wanting posters from shows they go to, but cannot understand people who scoff at collectors of the posters as art.  One doesn't have to go to a show to love the bootleg.  Certainly one doesn't have to go to a show to love the art.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,100
    edited October 2022
    Also 2011 Vancouver killed the idea that I should buy posters from shows I attend as a mandatory.   That shit stayed tubed....I may still have it.  Never made it to portfolio and certainly won't make it on the wall!
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    We definitely do both, as there are some amazing works of art out there. We tend to only buy posters of bands we actually listen to (for example, 311 has some AMAZING posters, but we're not into them, so we don't buy them). Pearl Jam, DMB, Pixies, Foo Fighters Death Cab For Cutie, and a few others, though, we do. When FF played San Jose a few years ago, and the poster was a mock-up of a Super Nintendo box, I had to get an AP.

We are reaching a saturation point, though, where we have way more posters than wall space. I have a couple projects to get to first, but I'm hoping that for Christmas, I can build my partner a flat-file storage system, so that we can stash our posters in there, and pull them out from time to time. Maybe I'll also through together a couple of frames (we have *some* wall space left).
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    edited October 2022
    I only buy from shows I attend and only if I like the print.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mpedone said:
    We definitely do both, as there are some amazing works of art out there. We tend to only buy posters of bands we actually listen to (for example, 311 has some AMAZING posters, but we're not into them, so we don't buy them). Pearl Jam, DMB, Pixies, Foo Fighters Death Cab For Cutie, and a few others, though, we do. When FF played San Jose a few years ago, and the poster was a mock-up of a Super Nintendo box, I had to get an AP.

We are reaching a saturation point, though, where we have way more posters than wall space. I have a couple projects to get to first, but I'm hoping that for Christmas, I can build my partner a flat-file storage system, so that we can stash our posters in there, and pull them out from time to time. Maybe I'll also through together a couple of frames (we have *some* wall space left).
    Have you looked at a portfolio?
    You can more easily (and safely) look at them than other storage methods I've seen.
  • mpedone said:

You can more easily (and safely) look at them than other storage methods I've seen.
    Best decision I ever made. The Barocque (sp?) one is great. I wish I had an angled table it could sit on for display. Sadly I filled it up so fast. Already need another one. 
  • mpedone said:

Best decision I ever made. The Barocque (sp?) one is great. I wish I had an angled table it could sit on for display. Sadly I filled it up so fast. Already need another one. 
    Great call on table,  that would be sweet!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    mpedone said:

You could always get one of these. It would be like living in a Spencers Gift Shop.
    30x40 Adjustable Multi Panel Art  Print Rack Rolling Floor Stand 30 Swinging Panels  2-Sided
  • GlowGirl said:
    mpedone said:

You could always get one of these. It would be like living in a Spencers Gift Shop.
    30x40 Adjustable Multi Panel Art  Print Rack Rolling Floor Stand 30 Swinging Panels  2-Sided
    OMG! I now want/need this now!!! 
  • GlowGirl said:
    mpedone said:

Minus the mild sex toys and lava lamps
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    I remember getting my ear pierced there as a kid I think. Also trying to pocket a bunch of iron maiden pins, seeing someone was watching me, and slowly putting them back. Dumb kid move!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    GlowGirl said:
    mpedone said:

https://aimequipmentcompany.com/products/convertible-steel-display-with-30-panels-poster-artwork-photo-display-panel-flip-swing-rack-on-rollers-new-item-fad-15/

It’s only around $1400  :)
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,892
    drfox said:
    I used to be the same and only bought for attended shows (all U.K. based). But I got fed up with having rubbish prints - only had one great one (EV Mumford Bridge 17), a few average ones and then loads of stinkers. London Deathburger 2018 was the final straw. From that point I just bought and framed what I liked so now have some of my favourite prints from the last 15 years in my collection and framed. I mean how could you frame an attended show print like the Deathburger over a beauty like the Sperry Leopard. Doesn’t matter to me that I didn’t do to the São Paulo show.
    Similar here. Started out thinking I'd only collect attended shows, but then realized I'd get more enjoyment collecting what looks the best on the wall. I do mostly stick with bands that I like 
  • GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mpedone said:

https://aimequipmentcompany.com/products/convertible-steel-display-with-30-panels-poster-artwork-photo-display-panel-flip-swing-rack-on-rollers-new-item-fad-15/

Ugh....
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    mpedone said:

Yeah, but as a later post noted, we'd still need a place for them (I have a portfolio from my brief foray into graphic design, and storing it was always an issue). I could probably do both - build a smaller unit with a hinged top that could hold the portfolio. Could use the portfoilo to display a couple of posters at a time, which would be more easily rotatable than framed artwork on the walls.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Just sold 54 posters going back to 95.  Kept a select few that include shows I attended and others I like for the art. Getting rid of all things I have not looked at or used in the last ten years.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,434
    edited October 2022
    I favor posters from shows that I attend but if one really jumps out at me I grab it.

If I don't like the poster I won't buy it even if attending.  That's happened a few times (Noblesville 2010, Oakland 2022 night one) 

I have some that I will be selling on PJBay at some point. Just not enough room on the walls
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I'd say 90% of the posters I own were from shows I attended. I have a couple that were gifts and a couple that I bought because I loved the artwork.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    Most of my posters are from shows I attended.  However, I have a few others just because I like the art work.  For example the KY6 and Columbia bat. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,206
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mpedone said:

Damn!