Options

*HOT TAKE* Andrew Watt shouldn't have sang Chris C's Part In Hunger Strike Last Night

StoveStove Posts: 316
edited October 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
 Honestly I was a little taken a back. Now don't get me wrong Andrew is great. Super young, has a lot of flash and knows what he's doing. AND I don't think it was right that he was the one that got to sing Chris' part in "Hunger Strike". And yes obviously Ed did Tom song's, Mike Campbell did Tom song's, but even that makes more sense than Watt singing Chris' part b/c Mike was a Heartbreaker, Ed new and played with Tom. And if you haven't seen Hunger Strike played live, sure it's cool...but they're gonna let the 31 year old guy wearing fancy Pajamas do it? Previous versions we've had some real titans do Chris' part (even when he was still here). What do yall thing?
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    The guy from Band of Horses sang it at msg back in 2010 and it was awesome.  Who cares who sings it, just play it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    If Ed is ok with it... then well fine. 

I saw PJ play it with the Band of Horses singer in NYC many years ago, and thought the same thing then as you. So I do get your point.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    The guy from Band of Horses sang it at msg back in 2010 and it was awesome.  Who cares who sings it, just play it.  
    I bet you like holograms too don't ya?  =)
  • Options
    edocon said:
    If Ed is ok with it... then well fine. 

I saw PJ play it with the Band of Horses singer in NYC many years ago, and thought the same thing then as you. So I do get your point.
    And even that is cooler than...Andrew...like make it a big deal, have a guest. Because it is a big deal.
  • Options
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It s a song about poverty, not Chris s life lol. So you think the song should never be played again? 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It s a song about poverty, not Chris s life lol. So you think the song should never be played again? 
    Didn't say that. Thought more care should have been put into it. 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    Klinghoffer sang Purple Rain how many times now. 

I was going to make a joke about who should have sang Hunger Strike instead at Ohana but the first one that popped into my head was Stevie Nicks and now I can’t stop thinking about how badass that would have been. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    Isn’t music meant to be a celebration of life, to be enjoyed, to be shared?

Someone could say…Why the heck is Dave Grohl playing Neil’s parts in 2112 Overture at the Taylor Hawkins tribute? He is not a technical drummer and has nowhere near the musicianship that Neil had. He approached the music like a teenager on speed…

Also not a good take. It made Dave happy to play a retired band’s tune with them, one that he enjoyed playing as a teen, and to celebrate music after two tragic losses behind the kit. Cmon, let the fans enjoy some live Hunger Strike.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Isn’t music meant to be a celebration of life, to be enjoyed, to be shared?

Someone could say…Why the heck is Dave Grohl playing Neil’s parts in 2112 Overture at the Taylor Hawkins tribute? He is not a technical drummer and has nowhere near the musicianship that Neil had. He approached the music like a teenager on speed…

Also not a good take. It made Dave happy to play a retired band’s tune with them, one that he enjoyed playing as a teen, and to celebrate music after two tragic losses behind the kit. Cmon, let the fans enjoy some live Hunger Strike.

I'm not saying the song shouldn't be played. I just thing Andy is not the guy to be singing that part. And with Dave Grohl..that's Dave Grohl..THE DAVE GROHL....I mean who in audience was going gaga because...record producer and eminem haircut enthusiast Andrew Watt is singing a part from one of the most iconic voices in rock music...But to each their own...I guess. It just rubbed me the wrong way....I just think more care could've been taken to who sang it there was only like 20 others singers from the lineup that coulda done it.
         I was spoiled by getting to see the real Hunger Strike at PJ20 in Alpine though.  :D
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I watched the video and thought it was awesome. Watt did a great job and it is a great song that should be played. Would’ve loved to see that. 
  • Options
    I loved it. Watt’s worked with everyone, he knows these guys are icons, and he did it justice. Made me miss Cornell though—cause nobody could sing it like he did. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    seems like this is more about Watt's looks that anything else. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    seems like this is more about Watt's looks that anything else. 
    Well he is a good look'in guy!
  • Options
    I liked Corin Tucker and Eddie doing it together. Not really a fan of anyone else doing it personally 
  • Options
    Andrew Watt is Yoko Ono :)

….. it’s funny. 
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 419
    Stove said:
     Honestly I was a little taken a back. Now don't get me wrong Andrew is great. Super young, has a lot of flash and knows what he's doing. AND I don't think it was right that he was the one that got to sing Chris' part in "Hunger Strike". And yes obviously Ed did Tom song's, Mike Campbell did Tom song's, but even that makes more sense than Watt singing Chris' part b/c Mike was a Heartbreaker, Ed new and played with Tom. And if you haven't seen Hunger Strike played live, sure it's cool...but they're gonna let the 31 year old guy wearing fancy Pajamas do it? Previous versions we've had some real titans do Chris' part (even when he was still here). What do yall thing?
    Watt is great...

How about we all be happy that they played the song and played the song well instead of kicking dirt?
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,086
    edited October 2022
    I thought it sounded great. I heard Ed say he might need a joint to get through the song. This was hard for him, but maybe for some reason, that only Ed knows, it felt a comfortable place and time for him to do this song. That song is a gift..i wasn't sure we would ever hear it again from Ed and I thought it was beautiful. Nobody will ever sound like Chris, but it certainly made me think of Chris and how he is missed. 
    Post edited by deb1211 on
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Ed was moving towards playing RITFW and then it felt like Andrew Watt reminded him there’s another song to do, and Ed was like “Oh Ya”
    So I got the impression Andrew Watt REALLY wanted to play it and was probably the reason it was in the Encore.
    And then I thought Andrew killed it, sang it with everything he had and sounded great. In my mind, that alone makes him worthy of singing the song.
    It should be protected to a certain extent, but I don’t think it has to be reserved for a music icon. A quality musician who loves the song and shares the stage with Ed is all good in my books. It was a highlight for me but my most pleasant surprise of the night was Timeless Melody. Fucking love that song.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I have no issue with this at all. Glad they played it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Sounded amazing. Never thought I'd hear it, ever. Watt is an amazing artist. I have no issue with him singing that part. Never even crossed my mind to be bothered by anything they played Saturday. It was just great music.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 918
    When they started to play it I told my son, this will be the only time we ever see this live so enjoy it, and we did!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    Boh guy was super humbled about singing that imo. I once saw a garage band cover a bad brains song and some punk didn't like it and started p.ssing and screaming. That belongs to bb!! 
    It's only rock and roll.
    True some songs are sacred and maybe send a little extra love/shout outs respect to cc.
    Rip so sad
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Equally important hot take: People shouldn't have usernames based on household appliances.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZXSX3VPLY
    I think it sounds pretty good!
  • Options
    musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    mfc2006 said:
    Is it "National be offended day?!?" What the hell is going on in here?!?!

• Options
    tdawe said:
    Klinghoffer sang Purple Rain how many times now. 

I was going to make a joke about who should have sang Hunger Strike instead at Ohana but the first one that popped into my head was Stevie Nicks and now I can’t stop thinking about how badass that would have been. 
    See that would have been amazing!
  • Options
    I liked Corin Tucker and Eddie doing it together. Not really a fan of anyone else doing it personally 
    YES! 
  • Options
    Equally important hot take: People shouldn't have usernames based on household appliances.
    It's a nickname, you wouldn't understand. Also you spelled Monkey wrong in your name.  =)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZXSX3VPLY
    I think it sounds pretty good!
    Oh cool you took a video instead of experience it in the moment...that's cool. 
  • Options
    musicsam3 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Is it "National be offended day?!?" What the hell is going on in here?!?!

I'm not offended, just shouldn't have been Andrew. 
This discussion has been closed.