Options

New Song in the Fight to Save The Farallon Islands’ Animals

candleofthought26candleofthought26 Posts: 81
edited October 2022 in A Moving Train

It's hard to believe, but the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has approved a plan to drop thousands of pounds of highly toxic rat poison onto the federally protected Farallon Islands National Marine Sanctuary, 28 miles off the coast of San Francisco, California.

Thousands of wild animals — including mice, owls, hawks, owls, sea gulls, fish and marine mammals — will die slow, painful deaths by internal bleeding from anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning if this plan proceeds.

But this monstrous plan does not yet have final approval, so we need your help to spread the word and stop it.

Words and images alone can't convey the absurdity and horror of this proposed poisoning plan, so In Defense of Animals has also created a song about it, to reach more hearts and minds:

“There Were Some Men Out To Kill Mice”

Download, Play & Share The Farallon Islands Song For Free

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmc7mjsfcbfd7m9/There Were Some Men Out To Kill Mice -Jack Gescheidt, IDA - FINAL.mp3?dl=0

More About The Farallon Islands Poison Drop:

https://www.idausa.org/campaign/wild-animals-and-habitats/latest-news/farallon-island-conservation-not-poison-song/?ms=A_New_Song_in_the_Fight_to_Save_The_Farallon_Islands_Animals_10_01_2022&utm_campaign=a_new_song_in_the_fight_to_save_the_farallon_islands_animals_10_01_2022&utm_medium=email&utm_source=every_action&emci=7295489f-a941-ed11-b495-00224832e4ca&emdi=e4638d41-bb41-ed11-b495-00224832e4ca&ceid=13658534

Post edited by candleofthought26 on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711

It's hard to believe, but the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has approved a plan to drop thousands of pounds of highly toxic rat poison onto the federally protected Farallon Islands National Marine Sanctuary, 28 miles off the coast of San Francisco, California.

Thousands of wild animals — including mice, owls, hawks, owls, sea gulls, fish and marine mammals — will die slow, painful deaths by internal bleeding from anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning if this plan proceeds.

But this monstrous plan does not yet have final approval, so we need your help to spread the word and stop it.

Words and images alone can't convey the absurdity and horror of this proposed poisoning plan, so In Defense of Animals has also created a song about it, to reach more hearts and minds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmc7mjsfcbfd7m9/There Were Some Men Out To Kill Mice -Jack Gescheidt, IDA - FINAL.mp3?dl=0

https://www.idausa.org/campaign/wild-animals-and-habitats/latest-news/farallon-island-conservation-not-poison-song/?ms=A_New_Song_in_the_Fight_to_Save_The_Farallon_Islands_Animals_10_01_2022&utm_campaign=a_new_song_in_the_fight_to_save_the_farallon_islands_animals_10_01_2022&utm_medium=email&utm_source=every_action&emci=7295489f-a941-ed11-b495-00224832e4ca&emdi=e4638d41-bb41-ed11-b495-00224832e4ca&ceid=13658534

The mice were introduced by humans and are a problem and put species like the ashy storm-petrel at risk, so they really should be eradicated.  But doing so with poison is both cruel and harmful to other species.  Fish and Wildlife are probably taking the easiest and least expensive way to deal with the problem.  I wish other, less harmful means of removing the invasive mice, would be considered.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I told my wife about this story and she had what seems to me to be a good possible solution. 
    There are three small houses on the island.  Those could be used to house Fish and Wildlife employees whose task it is to eliminate the mice.  Send three small teams to the island with all the basic supplies they need including a large number of devices called Rat Zappers.  These devices provide the most humane way to kill mice.  Place the devices where mice are most frequently found, especially in buildings.  Have the employees work rotating shifts to collect and bury the mice and maintain the devices.  Do this until the mouse population is eliminated and then periodically go back and make sure they are all gone.

Now please understand, I do not derive pleasure from killing animals and I am sorry if this idea is offense to anyone.  That is not at all my intention.  But I do believe a healthy environment for a wildlife sanctuary is essential, and these mice were introduced by humans are an invasive species that are harmful to the habitat of this particular environment. 
    This solution would be far more humane than the terrible idea of bombing the place with rat poison and it would restore a healthy balance to a critical wildlife sanctuary.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Bring in some neutered cats.  They will die off eventually.

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited October 2022
    brianlux said:

The mice were introduced by humans and are a problem and put species like the ashy storm-petrel at risk, so they really should be eradicated.  But doing so with poison is both cruel and harmful to other species.  Fish and Wildlife are probably taking the easiest and least expensive way to deal with the problem.  I wish other, less harmful means of removing the invasive mice, would be considered.
    That was my thought.

where I grew up there is (or was) problems with people putting northern pike into mountain lakes. They have to basically poison the lake and start over as those fish eat all the native fish anyway so there isn’t really a better option 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

That was my thought.

where I grew up there is (or was) problems with people putting northern pike into mountain lakes. They have to basically poison the lake and start over as those fish eat all the native fish anyway so there isn’t really a better option 
    Pike.  The canucks called them "snot rockets" lol.
  • Options

Not a bad idea except the could also kill to many birds.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I think mice would be easier to catch?  Just a thought though.  Like I said, they can't procreate so they would eventually die off.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited October 2022
    brianlux said:

Non native cats are part of the reason the Dodo bird is extinct so yeah 

as soon as you let one outside, cats are the definition of an invasive species 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yes but they die off.  Can't and won't be around forever.  You could tag them and locate them if needed if shit got out of hand.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Yes but they die off.  Can't and won't be around forever.  You could tag them and locate them if needed if shit got out of hand.

I’ve seen Jurassic park one too many times.

nature finds a way 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I’ve seen Jurassic park one too many times.

nature finds a way 
    HAHAHAHA!!! I thought about that.