speaker swappin'

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
i decided to make some speaker changes after playing around with my amps yesterday and doing a bunch of research.

i've sort of grown tired of the V30 in my deluxe reverb which was sort of the trigger for this.

the jensen C12Q in my 5E3 is going into my deluxe reverb (the current DRRI ships with a C12K (a K? 100watts. wtf. i guess if you buy 100W speakers by the boatfull you can just put them in everything.) but the C12Q is sort of more historically accurate. i like the C10Q in the princeton.

the V30 out of the DRRI is going into the 1x12" epi cabinet for my valve junior replacing the horrible emminence lady lucky. again, a 75W speaker. wft. see above regarding a 100W speaker in a 22W amp.

and the 5E3 is going to get a jensen P12Q alnico. a p12R would be more accurate but i think it would be too bright for me. jensen's tone chart seems to indicate i'd prefer the Q.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Happy Swapping, sounds like a good idea anyway.

I still want to see what a greenback would sound like in my orange. I've liked them in voxes before too... but I think the V30 will sound excellent with the VJ and the DRRI will sound more like what a delux reverb should sound like.

No wonder the current DRRI sounds crispy to people. 100 watt speaker. geez It'd have to be dimed to get wooly at all.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • That or a wanna weber's alnico's would work good in the 5E3.

Vj and a Vintage 30 are a great combo. Greenbacks sound great with a VJ also. I've done both. But then again Greenbacks sound great in just about anything!

Orange and a greenback would be a great combo.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, my local place can't get a P12Q so i may look at the weber now since i have to order online anway.
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, my local place can't get a P12Q so i may look at the weber now since i have to order online anway.

make them as they go, good customer service. Nice pieces...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

yeah, i have no concerns with weber quality given my experience with them on the 18watt and the silver bell in that amp.

i need to spend some time figuring out the difference between the various 12A125 models to see if i'll be happy with one of those.
  • exhausted wrote:
    yeah, i have no concerns with weber quality given my experience with them on the 18watt and the silver bell in that amp.

i need to spend some time figuring out the difference between the various 12A125 models to see if i'll be happy with one of those.

Always throw a greenback in the 18 watter, and relocate the silver bell.

well, now it'll all have to wait anyway.

i've decided to take 2-3 months leave from work so the 5E3 will sit speakerless for a while.

on the upside, i'll have a lot more time to play guitar.