Options

Better supporting actress in Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
Both were phenomenal.
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Better supporting actress in Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul 24 votes

Anna Gunn as Skyler White
16%
MayDay10dimitrispearljamF Me In The BrainPJ_Soul 4 votes
Rhea Seahorn as Kim Wexler
83%
mca47darwinstheoryigotid88smile6680HailHailVitalogyThe JugglermickeyratIndifference71GlowGirlGern Blanstenjh275312cp3iversoneeriepadavepearldavidsonPJNBRunIntoTheRainLerxst1992Glorified KCJumb0Thompson172000 20 votes

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    They both did amazing.  

I think skyler's range as a character was much more challenging and expertly performed
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    Only one is getting a series with Vince
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2022
    It's difficult to choose because Better Call Saul aired recently I'm tempted to choose Kim Wexler. To make this fair I'd need to watch Breaking Bad again. 
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Seahorn and it ain't really close
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    This is a tough choice and there's likely an inherent bias because of the types of characters they were.  I feel like you almost have to watch BrBa twice through - first from the viewpoint of Walt, because that's where the show leads you - and then again from the viewpoint of Skyler to really appreciate exactly how well she played that role. From the onset, she's presented quite one-dimensionally as the nagging, bitch wife that just gets in Walt's way. But there is so much depth to - and development of - the character of Skyler White over the course of the series.  As the show goes on, you realize how frightened and victimized she had to be once her early suspicions became the truth (not just her truth) and she started putting the pieces together. And if you haven't watched the series a second time, I employ you to do so.  Go in rooting for Skyler this time, now that you know the monster that Walt became with his overly ambitious ego.  Anna's character shines!  

Kim Wexler is likable from the get-go.  I think that's the big difference between the two characters. She's not presented as holding Jimmy/Saul back from anything. They're a team from the start.  That's not to say there isn't depth to her character or that Rhea doesn't shine (there absolutely is and she certainly does), just that she's presented as a different type of character than Skyler was. There is a much longer build up to Kim becoming the victim. She doesn't quite really get the scope or severity of things until Lalo kills Howard. (What a fucking scene, btw!! She, Bob, Patrick and Tony sold the entire show in that moment, imo.)  Another big difference in the characters is that I feel like Jimmy needed Kim more than Walt needed Skyler.  While the former had moments of not seeing eye-to-eye on things, the latter never really did.

In the end, both characters suffered huge consequences and will likely need therapy & never have a restful sleep for the rest of their lives. That is their common ground. Similar but different enough pathways of getting there.  Skyler was driven by fear; Kim motivated by ambition.  A testament to both actresses for doing such a fine job on either show!!

Should be a third option: "I can't choose!"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    This is a tough choice and there's likely an inherent bias because of the types of characters they were.  I feel like you almost have to watch BrBa twice through - first from the viewpoint of Walt, because that's where the show leads you - and then again from the viewpoint of Skyler to really appreciate exactly how well she played that role. From the onset, she's presented quite one-dimensionally as the nagging, bitch wife that just gets in Walt's way. But there is so much depth to - and development of - the character of Skyler White over the course of the series.  As the show goes on, you realize how frightened and victimized she had to be once her early suspicions became the truth (not just her truth) and she started putting the pieces together. And if you haven't watched the series a second time, I employ you to do so.  Go in rooting for Skyler this time, now that you know the monster that Walt became with his overly ambitious ego.  Anna's character shines!  

Kim Wexler is likable from the get-go.  I think that's the big difference between the two characters. She's not presented as holding Jimmy/Saul back from anything. They're a team from the start.  That's not to say there isn't depth to her character or that Rhea doesn't shine (there absolutely is and she certainly does), just that she's presented as a different type of character than Skyler was. There is a much longer build up to Kim becoming the victim. She doesn't quite really get the scope or severity of things until Lalo kills Howard. (What a fucking scene, btw!! She, Bob, Patrick and Tony sold the entire show in that moment, imo.)  Another big difference in the characters is that I feel like Jimmy needed Kim more than Walt needed Skyler.  While the former had moments of not seeing eye-to-eye on things, the latter never really did.

In the end, both characters suffered huge consequences and will likely need therapy & never have a restful sleep for the rest of their lives. That is their common ground. Similar but different enough pathways of getting there.  Skyler was driven by fear; Kim motivated by ambition.  A testament to both actresses for doing such a fine job on either show!!

I don't know...Skyler banged her boss just to get back at Walt. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Sure, if that's the singular thing that you want to focus on over the entire course of the show in an attempt to negate her victimization, go for it.  That doesn't excuse the mountain range of absolutely horrible and horrifying shit Walt put her and their family through (including Hank & Marie) in the grand scheme. 

I thought the Ted affair was a well-executed sidebar to the story. No, I don't condone cheating and never will.  But that sequence brought a certain reality to the show. Lots of women feel trapped in relationships by evil men they fear. They fear him so much that they've convinced themselves they can't leave. So they unfaithfully run to someone who makes them feel safe. That was Ted. Was she wrong for cheating on Walt? Absolutely. But the argument can be made that Walt was unfaithful to their marriage long before that, just not in the sexual sense.  Although he did try to put the moves on Carmen and was so obviously still hung up on Gretchen despite being married with two children, so... *makes balancing the scale gesture*  Emotional cheating is sill cheating. And Walt did it first.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

Sure, if that's the singular thing that you want to focus on over the entire course of the show in an attempt to negate her victimization, go for it.  That doesn't excuse the mountain range of absolutely horrible and horrifying shit Walt put her and their family through (including Hank & Marie) in the grand scheme. 

I thought the Ted affair was a well-executed sidebar to the story. No, I don't condone cheating and never will.  But that sequence brought a certain reality to the show. Lots of women feel trapped in relationships by evil men they fear. They fear him so much that they've convinced themselves they can't leave. So they unfaithfully run to someone who makes them feel safe. That was Ted. Was she wrong for cheating on Walt? Absolutely. But the argument can be made that Walt was unfaithful to their marriage long before that, just not in the sexual sense.  Although he did try to put the moves on Carmen and was so obviously still hung up on Gretchen despite being married with two children, so... *makes balancing the scale gesture*  Emotional cheating is sill cheating. And Walt did it first.
    That coupled with her knowingly laundering all that money. She was innocent up to a certain point...then she was a criminal.

A criminal that cheated on her husband. :)

Oh...and tax fraud. She completely lied to the IRS and helped Ted evade tax evasion charges.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited September 2022

That coupled with her knowingly laundering all that money. She was innocent up to a certain point...then she was a criminal.

Oh...and tax fraud. She completely lied to the IRS and helped Ted evade tax evasion charges.
    And why did she do all that?

Fear

of

her

husband. 

I literally stated that in my initial post.  "Skyler was driven by fear."  She had a laundry list of wrongdoings, no doubt.  But damn man, you gotta examine the psychology behind why the character did all that. Good people make bad choices, especially when they believe there is no other option. (That doesn't mean there aren't other options, but victims don't often see what's right in front of them. Or willfully ignore them - out of fear.) Walt basically had her handcuffed the entire show.  He's the monster, not her.  She's the only (living) character that wasn't ultimately redeemed in the end. She got a little bit but she still has to live with the guilt of her actions forever.  As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.
  • Options
    edited September 2022

And why did she do all that?

Fear

of

her

husband. 

I literally stated that in my initial post.  "Skyler was driven by fear."  She had a laundry list of wrongdoings, no doubt.  But damn man, you gotta examine the psychology behind why the character did all that. Good people make bad choices, especially when they believe there is no other option. (That doesn't mean there aren't other options, but victims don't often see what's right in front of them. Or willfully ignore them - out of fear.) Walt basically had her handcuffed the entire show.  He's the monster, not her.  She's the only (living) character that wasn't ultimately redeemed in the end. She got a little bit but she still has to live with the guilt of her actions forever.  As they say, hindsight is always 20/20.
    Covering up Ted's tax fraud was because of fear of Walt? 

She even took some of Walt's drug money and gave it to Ted.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2022
    As I mentioned before, and as shown in the recent posts, the difficulty scale on the Skylar character is really high.  While Seahorn did an impeccable job, Kim Wexler's character is a pretty straight-forward cool chick that everyone likes.  There were certain heavy scenes, of course, and some inner-conflict, especially in the later stages of Mesa Verde.

Skylar's arc is pretty remarkable.  Went from a Type A, wear the pants in the family housewife, to suspicious of Walt, to angry at walt and vengeful, to outright fear, to being an accomplice, etc.  Trying to work as a straightman at the register running the car-wash while laundering money, observing walt "needing to fix the coke machine" lying again is a great balancing act.  Also, not to mention the complex of Marie always being the golden-child and the shade of competition between her/walt (the robbers) and Marie/Hank (cops).
    Its a tough assignment too because everyone hated her at certain points for being a wet blanket at best, a hindrance/obstacle to Walt at worst.  People felt strongly about the character.  As mentioned, watching a second time through, you definitely empathize more with the other characters like Skylar, Hank, and Jesse.  

There were some different motivations.

First it was fear for the kids.  

It was later fear of Walt

Probably fear of going to prison herself

And the motivation of being a sister to Marie her whole life.
    She pulled off a very difficult role marvelously.  Such a well written character.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I thought the DVD that Walt put together about how Hank forced him into the drug trade was brilliant. 

The whole show was full of brilliant writing. Same with BCS. No idea how it can be topped honestly.

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    It's a damn shame Rhea didn't get the Emmy.  She absolutely crushed it.
    Rhea all day, every day.
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2022
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I forgot about this scene.  Kim putting Howard in his place and defending Jimmy after Chuck’s death.  Powerful scene.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.