i got the jazzmaster body!!!

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited September 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
woohoo. more debt here i come.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Fantastic. Screw the debt. Move to the US we are used to carrying tons of it.

What Color? and what P/U's are you going with.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    it's this one. transparent red on swamp ash.
    http://warmoth.com/thrift/wgp_body_detail.asp?itemNumber=jmp25

i'm going to use chrome hardware and black pickups.

i'm going to put either 3 single coil P90s in it or stacked P90s in the neck and bridge and a single coil P90 in the middle.

i still have to decide on the neck. likely going to be a maple with an ebony fretboard. it'll be a strat neck with (hopefully) a reversed headstock.

once i see the actual grain and colour i'll know for sure.
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    jazzmasters are freaking cool!
  • Options
    this is going to be some sort of crazy mutant jazzmaster though. if fender was actually making a left-handed one right now, i'd probably buy it but this will be more unique.
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    eh just learn to play righty like a *normal* human :)

Originally posted by exhausted
    this is going to be some sort of crazy mutant jazzmaster though. if fender was actually making a left-handed one right now, i'd probably buy it but this will be more unique.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    woohoo. more debt here i come.

I'm with paco on this about the money. And if it makes you happy why not. You'll have to post the finished product ok.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    i'll just have to see how it goes with the wedding funding and what not. i'm making shitloads of money right now but most of it's spoken for by the ring, wedding reservations etc.

this guitar was totally unplanned but it's too cool a body to pass up. i'm patient enough to wait until i have the cash to finish it.
  • Options
    definately. This guitar is going to be great.

Look to the PRS McCarty and Reverend models to see how the wiring is done on the 3 P-90 set.

You will get near perfect Townsendesque tones from that guitar.

However if you plan on getting a case and neck whatever, keep in mind the Jazzmaster scale length is longer than normal if you do indeed go with a jazzmaster neck.

This thing with an ebony fretboard would rock, skunk stripe and tung oil finish on the back of the neck(I assume you'll be going with rock or birdseye maple?), damn, you may have to market it.

You should finish it out with a custom truss rod cover with your name or some cool slogan.

Tremolo or no tremolo?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    definately. This guitar is going to be great.

Look to the PRS McCarty and Reverend models to see how the wiring is done on the 3 P-90 set.

You will get near perfect Townsendesque tones from that guitar.

However if you plan on getting a case and neck whatever, keep in mind the Jazzmaster scale length is longer than normal if you do indeed go with a jazzmaster neck.

This thing with an ebony fretboard would rock, skunk stripe and tung oil finish on the back of the neck(I assume you'll be going with rock or birdseye maple?), damn, you may have to market it.

You should finish it out with a custom truss rod cover with your name or some cool slogan.

Tremolo or no tremolo?

Damn paco that would be an extremely sweet guitar if alky does this. Maybe instead of a band, you two should open up a gear shop. Of course then I don't get to play with ya'll, there's always jam sessions.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    -25.5" scale. same as my other fenders and same as a real jazzmaster.
    -the body's already routed for a wilkinson tremolo so that's what it'll be. i'll block it though.
    -right now, neck would just be normal maple with an ebony board. no face dots. just ebony. we'll see how much money i have at the time i order the neck and i might upgrade the maple.
    -i'll check out PRS wiring. i need ideas. right now i have in my head:

2 stacked P90s (B & N)
    1 single coil P90 (M)
    3-way switch (B/B&N/N)
    concentric pots for tone/volume on bridge and neck (like a les paul)
    1 on/off switch for middle pickup (like a 3PU les paul)
    1 on/off switch to kill entire guitar (ala jonny greenwood)

i'll need to drill an extra hole for the second kill switch.
  • Options
    sound's great. The stacked P90's are slightly quieter but have a little more midrange and a little more output. Sounds awesome.

I just remember searching for cases that would fit the Jazzmaster, I though the scale length was longer but i stand corrected. I thought fender standard was 24"

It's the longer body that makes the cases hard to find not the neck.

Lindy Fralin's website has some great info on these P/U's.

It'll be cool to build it yourself, if you need parts All Parts.com and Carvin. com should have most of what you need you can worry about the neck much later..

Pickguard?
  • Options
    all the parts i'm going to get at the shop here and save shipping and customs. i'm going to take it up the ass on the body and neck but oh well.

i'll probably have to get the nut cut professionally and then get the whole thing set-up professionally once i'm done. my friend's got a soldering iron so i'm set there.

no pickguard. body is rear routed so there's no need.

standard fender scale is 25.5" now. mustang/jaguar scale is 24"

the PRS wiring has given me some ideas for possibly using a 5-way switch and tapping coils.
  • Options
    you know, I'll bet there is a canadian company that can make you a Fender neck so you won't get beat up to bad by the tarrifs that really sucks I forgot about that. The tricky stuff is the Fretwork and set up.

This is really cool I'm sure eventually you will be really happy with it.
  • Options
    i just set up a budget for the whole project. there is some stuff i can salvage from my dead strat but nothing that will save any money.

i could save a bundle and just put the strat neck i have on it but it's in rough shape. plus i like it on my tele right now. however, it might get me to a functioning guitar quicker.

but i've worked out an item by item budget and i'll go from there. it certainly won't be a cheap guitar but i'm guessing to custom order something like this would be double if not triple the cost of doing it this way.
  • Options
    Hey, I remembered Tom Anderson guitar works has a model with 3 P-90's as well and they might have some ideas on how and where to put the kill switch, you might try e-mailing them.
  • Options
    i just took a look at that guitar. they did it with a 5-way switch and a push pull and get the same 7 combinations that i'll get. only difference is that they have master volume and master tone.

i really want the separate tone/vol on the neck and bridge. that ability to blend is my favourite part of my les paul.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Hey, I remembered Tom Anderson guitar works has a model with 3 P-90's as well and they might have some ideas on how and where to put the kill switch, you might try e-mailing them.
  • Options
    yeah, the 2v 2t setup is a major reason a lot of people like the Les Paul.

I like it too but for as much as I max them out I have wanted to experiment with something active but for monitary reasons I haven't yet.

I just read a review of the Diezel VH-4 amplifier today and I heard one played the other day. It's like hearing the Ferrari of guitar amps.

It's an orgasm in a box and for the low low price of $4600 I'm sure I'll have one soon, Yeah Right!
  • Options
    i don't even look at amps anymore. i can't handle it. stupid 'might as well sell the blue angel' me.
  • Options
    I've pretty much realized that I like so many great amps and guitars and effects I'll just have to enjoy window shopping much like shopping for cars, my tastes far out weigh my wallet.

I'm not going to critique you for selling the Blue Angel It's just one of those decisions you made at the time, the Deluxe is a classic in itself.

everytime I play my orange I wish for a little more clean output and I long for a hand wired fender but anymore volume and I would be killing people in the Apartment complex so o well.

Now I just want a new Strat so I can make sweet sweet love with it.
  • Options
    i have no dirty amp. i need a dirty amp.

well, i don't really. but if i was in a band, i would.

for now, i have my pod.
  • Options
    well the pod sure is cool.

I need a clean amp. well not really the Orange has a nice glassy clean british tone but I want more headroom before overdrive.
  • Options
    i'd probably be fine with a fender blues junior next to my deluxe. that would be good enough for me. and affordable.
  • Options
    my roommate bought a blues Jr. the tone is really not all that great. It leaves you wanting a tighter speaker like a Vintage 30 and the overdrive is shrill and not warm like it should be. However, good tubes an upgraded speaker do wonders,

A guy in a local bar here plays one with Ruby tubes and a V 30. He runs a Guv'nor over drive that really adds body to the sound and that's what the Blues JR lacks, tight intelligable bass response. His amp really smokes once it's warmed up.

granted its only 400 bucks but I can tell where my extra 500 bucks went when I put it next to my Orange.
  • Options
    good point.

i'll just trade you my microvibe for your orange. :D
  • Options
    sure, I'll just need your left arm as well and we'll make the trade.

A DSL 40 would match up well with your deluxe.
  • Options
    the marshall? i've thought about that one too.
  • Options
    I looked at that one for a while.

Also if you are lucky you may find a hiwatt DC-40 bulldog for around the same price as the DSL.

I've seen a few on Ebay go for 550 which is a steal on that thing.

A rivera chubster 40 is in the same kind of market, fender clean, marshall overdrive but it may be a little over what you want to spend.
  • Options
    i really need to get back into a house. until then, not much point in me having more amplifiers. damned shared walls.

maybe i'll move my studio into the basement.