Options

HOW TO: fix the volume drop in the NYC Small Stone

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok. tip for the day, kids.

the new NYC reissue small stones sound awesome, are true bypass, but have a wicked volume drop. here's how to fix it (courtesy of Matt Farrow).

-change R6 from a 5K6 resistor to a 10K. be careful doing this because you need to reuse that resistor.

-remove R27 (a 2K2 resistor) and replace with the 5K6 you just pulled out from R6.

it works like a hot damn. i just did it to mine. the only problem is that it's a bitch to get at the circuit board to find the resistors b/c of the way it's mounted in the enclosure. even in modern times, EHX is *still* as idiosyncratic as hell.

to come later on: a review of the NYC big muff pi i just bought. the only thing better than a big muff is a true bypass big muff. but damn this thing is HUGE. it's twice the size of the small stone. ridiculous.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    hey, so did matt say anything about business? Is he coming out with anything new.

I really want to patronise him. He really is a cool guy.

Glad you got your SS fixed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i didn't talk directly to matt. i just found a site with info on stones and this info was credited to him.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by exhausted
    i didn't talk directly to matt. i just found a site with info on stones and this info was credited to him.

Ah. he seems to be a pretty smart guy, for what ever reason the monument compressor just didn't cut it for me
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.