Options

*** ST LOUIS ,MO- 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,181
    Looking at the entire tour. St. Louis tops it. Eddie has received his Re-Education. St. Louis is ALL about what they did NOT play. They finally quit the greatest hits bullshit. AND the place was electric. 

There is ZERO room in 25 song sets to play all 9 to 10 greatest hits. It makes for a bad show.

No Porch, no DTE, no GTF, and no Bman. Is there another set they cut that many hits from?

That's 4 greatest hit songs dropped. That still left eflow, Alive, black, cord and elderly woman. They should cap the hits at 5 and have more shows like this one.

8th show of Gigaton era for me and it was far and away the most fun show from 2021 or 2022.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,181
    Camden > St. Louis > MSG

Just my opinion
     Camden > Ottawa >St. Louis >Apollo Theater> MSG
    Just my opinion

No way Apollo was better than MSG. People in attendance at both have put it behind MSG.
    I mean even Eddie was trashing Apollo last night
  • Options
    lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    edited September 2022
    So question to all those who complained that his voice was going to suffer by this show, did your premonition come true??? 

Ill eat my words on this one. Dare i say that Nashville, Louisville & St Louis were the shortest shows of the leg?

Edit: Nashville was the 4th shortest of the leg at 2:13. Toronto was the 3rd shortest at 2:10. St louis was the 2nd shortest at 2:02 & Louisville was the shortest at 1:51. Obviously his voice didn't blow out but the run of 3 shows were in the top 4 of shortest sets of the leg. For those that care Ottawa was the longest at 2:34. St louis and Louisville were considerably shorter.
    Post edited by lowbudgetlush on
  • Options
    So question to all those who complained that his voice was going to suffer by this show, did your premonition come true??? 

Ill eat my words on this one. Dare i say that Nashville, Louisville & St Louis were the shortest shows of the leg?

Edit: Nashville was the 4th shortest of the leg at 2:13. Toronto was the 3rd shortest at 2:10. St louis was the 2nd shortest at 2:02 & Louisville was the shortest at 1:51. Obviously his voice didn't blow out but the run of 3 shows were in the top 4 of shortest sets of the leg. For those that care Ottawa was the longest at 2:34. St louis and Louisville were considerably shorter.
    Just messin with everyone!  But, those are legitimate counters.  You’re probably right and as a professional it sounds like it may have been intentional, he knows how to protect his voice.  B& B was going to be 2 hrs no matter what but even that ended up with a late start due to GVF.  

• Options
    Last night was my 15th show. I've always lurked on this site for years but never really posted anything outside of trying to sell some extra tickets I couldn't use. Most everyone I've seen so far has shared the same sentiments about the crowd and energy and how good the band was last night. So I won't repeat all of that but thought I'd share some notes that have been circulating in my brain the last 12 hours since the show ended.

In my opinion, this was one of the most unique shows I've been to in the last 20 years. Keep in mind, I typically only go to 1 show per U.S. tour. The only time I've seen them at different venues on the same tour was 2014 (STL & Moline). I know that people have gone to far more shows than I have, so once you pass a certain threshold, you've probably pretty much seen it all. But in my opinion, that's what makes this band so special. You could have seen them 50+ times and somehow they STILL find a way to throw you a curve ball EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It's truly incredible. This show was no different. But not only was it different than a lot of my previous shows, it was also seemingly different than most of the shows on this tour. I'm not a PJ concert setlist expert by any means, so I'm only going off the top of my head for a lot of this. Apologies if I say something that's way off base. However, here are some of my thoughts on what I noticed:

-  "Of The Girl" as an opener is something that I feel I don't see them do as often anymore. I think they did it one other time that I recall on this tour. Very underrated opener, in my opinion. Hadn't heard them play this in my previous 14 shows. Was personally hoping for "Release", as it has an extra special meaning to me in my personal life. Felt like the cards were setup in a way that it could happen. But I was actually completely fine with getting this instead, as it was a song I've always wanted to hear.

- "Footsteps" in the 2-hole. This song is one of my all-time favs. Hearing it that early in the set was a fun twist. Again, the only time I'd ever heard them play this at one of my shows was in 2014 at this same venue. They sounded GREAT and I always love when Ed kills it on the harmonica.

"Sleeping By Myself" & "Retrograde" to round out the 1st 4 seated songs. Another small thing, but felt like something they haven't really been doing and I wasn't expecting it. As others mentioned, the way they build up the ending of "Retrograde" and the flow right into "Last Exit" was AWESOME.

- As others have mentioned, 5 of the songs they played were "album openers", which is something I feel like they have rarely done in the past. Very cool.

- Got the Momma-Son trilogy over the course of the set. Always love when they do that and they actually did it the last time I saw them play at the same venue in 2014. Hopefully, I'll get to seem them play it in order (or reverse order) one of these days.

- "I Am Mine" made the setlist. I had almost forgotten about that song. Feels like they never play it anymore. I believe it had only been played 1 other time this tour. 

"Life Wasted" made an appearance. This might not be that big of a deal, but from my personal vantage point, I found it sort of interesting. 1st time it has been played all tour and to be honest, I was shocked to hear it again in 2022. I swear I've gotten that song at EVERY show I've been to since that album came out, so it made me smile and chuckle to myself that they got me again lol.

"Glorified G" made its tour debut. This was one my white whales, so I was super excited to finally add that to the vault.

"Sad"....enough said.

"Go" to round out the 1st set. Not in the obvious spots, such as kicking things off early on or opening an Encore set. Finishing things up with "Go" is such a fun way to approach it. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

"Singles Anniversary Combo" to start the Encore. Had no idea it was 30 years to the day that the movie came out, but to get "SOLAT" AND "Breath" was such a fun surprise and treat. "Breath" was another song I'd only heard once before. I routinely re-watch the PJ20 documentary the night before every show and those songs were heavily featured in a few segments, so it was cool to jump back in time and hear them played.

"Black" didn't appear to originally be on the setlist but Eddie seemed to add it in the Encore. Not sure if that was 100% how it played out, but it seemed to be. 

"Alive" to end the show, which in and of itself isn't that unique, BUT I'm 1000% convinced that they were done after that song. Lights came on for the majority of the song, we all did the big "HEY"s, all the band members took off their mics, equipment, ear pieces, Matt changed into his comfy shoes for heaven's sake, and they all thanked us and waved goodbye. I was convinced they were done. But then it appeared Ed or someone motioned to Mike to see if he'd be willing to play "Yellow Ledbetter" and he obliged. They all seemed to be unprepared for this and had to go back to get their instruments again. I don't think that was planned. Or at the very least, they had it as the closer but maybe bumped it once they added in "Black". But Ed seemed to say "F it, this crowd is awesome and needs to be rewarded!"

I also saw that they had "The Fixer" on the setlist but crossed it out. Someone may have to fact-check me on this, but I'm pretty sure the last time they played that was 2018 (one time). I tried to do a quick stats search and saw that it's only been played FOUR time since 2012. So, another song that would have added to the uniqueness of this show.

I felt that even though a lot of the songs that were selected was the reason this show felt unique, it was also just as much the songs that were NOT played. I know that these shows are a bit smaller in length now. They are also still promoting songs from Gigaton on this tour, as well. But even with that  being said, I still found some of the omissions from this particular show very interesting, as well. Again, keep in mind that I'm also speaking from my personal experience from the 15 shows I've attended. Also keep in mind that these are NOT complaints. Just things I observed that were missing compared to a typical show. Here's some more of what I noticed:

Outside of "Once," we really didn't get anything other than a few of the "hits" from Ten. "Even Flow," "Alive," & "Black." Perfectly fine, but feels like we most certainly always get "Porch". And at the very least, feels like we usually get one of "Why Go," "Jeremy", "Garden", "Release", or "Oceans." "Deep" isn't played quite as often, so that wasn't that odd. But still, was surprised to only get a few of the main hits and none of the secondary songs outside of "Once."

No "Betterman" or "Daughter." This one isn't that crazy, but still feels like most nights they have been playing at least one of these. I'd had "Betterman" at 9 out of my 14 previous shows, so perhaps this felt more unique to me than how others would perceive it.

No "Rearviewmirror" or "Porch" near the end or closing of the 1st set. Again, another staple that I had somewhat become accustomed to with them. Felt like every other previous show I had attended either had them ending the 1st set with one of these songs or them at least making an appearance somewhere. And "Porch" had seemingly been played at almost every show this tour. Loved that they ended the 1st set with "Go" instead. Felt very refreshing, personally.

No "Do The Evolution" or "Given To Fly." Again, this may be something that's more personal to my experience but I'm pretty sure I've gotten one or BOTH of these songs at every single show I've attended since 2000. In fact, I almost want to go out on a limb and proclaim they've probably played one of these songs at every show the past 20 years lol. Probably not accurate, but boy does it sure seem like it.

In fact, ZERO songs from No Code or Yield. When was the last time that happened? Honestly, I'd like to know. This was most certainly NOT a "good" omission for me, as I love both of those albums. I was seriously shocked that not one single song from either album was played. As someone who was in attendance for the Moline "No Code" show, this was kind of an ironic twist to not hear anything this time around.

No "Baba O'Riley", "Rockin' In The Free World," "Fuckin' Up", "Indifference" or "Purple Rain." Now obviously several of these songs are utilized as closers, so sometimes it has to be one or the other. But often times they still throw in one of these songs along with "Yellow Ledbetter." I'm not really going out of my way to act like this was a big omission, but still, something that once again felt a little more unique to this show compared to other setlists I've observed on this tour.

*Side Note* : I've been saying this for 25 years now to any of my friends that will listen, but I've ALWAYS wanted them to start off a show with "Yellow Ledbetter." They have pretty much come up with every other idea you could possibly think of to blow our minds. How cool would it be to just pull that out one day and freak everyone out? And to take it even one step further, do a "backwards show", where they open with YL and then go into "Baba", maybe some "Fuckin' Up / RITFW", etc. Go off stage for a few minutes and then come back out and "open" with "Porch" or "Go" and then play through everything until ending with "Release" or something. Maybe I'm going a little too far with that idea, but just wanted to throw that out there as something I've been thinking about off and on for literally the last 25 years lol.

So as you can see, I think this show had a LOT of unique qualities. Maybe more so than people could see if they just glanced at the setlist. It was a much shorter setlist overall than what I'm accustomed to, but as others have mentioned in previous threads, the quality was a LOT better in my opinion. Songs weren't sped up and rushed as much as I remember in the past. Some of them even seemed to sound more like their original studio version counterparts than some of the live versions I had previously heard. I enjoyed that. I also assume with it being their 3rd show in 3 nights, they were probably a bit worn out. I thought the energy from the band was still great, regardless. The fun thing about this tour (and every other tour of theirs for that matter) is that every show is unique in its own little way. It's fun to come on here and try to make it sound like the show we went to was the best or better than another, but in reality, we are all lucky to get to enjoy such an amazing and talented band that goes out of their way EVERY SHOW to put on the best performance for the fans. You can see it in every decision they make. Ed tries to make every single person in that venue feel loved, appreciated, and tries to make sure we all have an experience we will never forget. I saw a kid in the pit last night who looked like he was 10 years old. Held up a sign that said "First Show" and was bouncing up and down all night. Ed finally made eye contact with him during "Alive" and immediately started bouncing up and down with him. Two seconds later, Ed motioned to a stage guy to toss him a tambourine. He went over and specifically made sure that kid got that tambourine. It's those little things, to me, that separate them from any other band in the world. That moment might not seem that significant in the grand scheme of the show, but that kid is now going to have a memory that will last him a lifetime. And it feels like Ed makes sure to do that type of stuff a few dozen times throughout a show in various ways.

I started typing this and the next thing I knew, I rambled on and on and on and now I'm realizing I better stop so that I don't run out of characters lol. Hopefully there was something in this rant that was useful or entertaining to read as a PJ fan. This is what happens when you lurk for the past decade and finally want to get some thoughts out in regards to the greatest band in the world lol. Can't wait to see them again as soon as possible!
  • Options
    Lukeat911Lukeat911 Nashville, TN Posts: 175
    Mike was out of his mind on Life Wasted
  • Options
    Great show post @JG144602
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    Ha! I’m hoping Ed figured out some sort of way to stop the issues he’s been having with his voice mid leg. Is it the seated start? Is it the tuned down songs? Does he have a special tea? Is he getting more sleep? Whatever it is, I hope he’s found the magic combo 🤘
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,172
    Looking at the entire tour. St. Louis tops it. Eddie has received his Re-Education. St. Louis is ALL about what they did NOT play. They finally quit the greatest hits bullshit. AND the place was electric. 

There is ZERO room in 25 song sets to play all 9 to 10 greatest hits. It makes for a bad show.

No Porch, no DTE, no GTF, and no Bman. Is there another set they cut that many hits from?

That's 4 greatest hit songs dropped. That still left eflow, Alive, black, cord and elderly woman. They should cap the hits at 5 and have more shows like this one.

8th show of Gigaton era for me and it was far and away the most fun show from 2021 or 2022.
    Excellent take! I agree they’re fallen into a good rhythm and have figured out what makes a GREAT show with the shorter setlists! I feel like the end of this leg has been the best of the whole tour.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,806
    MM70435 said:
    Go Animal said:
    If I were writing the setlist tonight (with the current format)

1. THE LONG ROAD
    2. SMALL TOWN
    3. JUST BREATHE
    4. SOMETIMES 
    :band rises:
    5. HAIL, HAIL
    6. LAST EXIT
    7. SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE 
    8. NOT FOR YOU
    9. TREMOR CHRIST
    10. NOTHINGMAN
    11. WHIPPING
    12. PRY, TO (intro)/CORDUROY
    13. BUGS 
    14. SATAN'S BED
    15. AYE DAVANITA
    16. IMMORTALITY/HEY, FOXY snippet
    17. WHY GO 
    18. RVM
    :encore break:
    19. NO WAY
    20. UNTHOUGHT KNOWN 
    21. BREATH
    22. SOLAT
    23. ALIVE
    24. BABA O'RILEY

NO WAY.  NO WAY!!!!!  If I could pick any song and they would play it at a show I went to, Who You Are would be top choice with No Way being a close 2nd choice.  Surprised you left off Go and Animal Go Animal :) (you have a great screen name by the way Go Animal.  I don't know how it happened but I never got an option to choose one.  I'm stuck with MM followed by a bunch of numbers.  It won't let me change it.  Would love to have WhoYouAre are as a screen name.  Oh well!)
    GoAnimal is the name  of my Toyota Tacoma work truck 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    Camden > St. Louis > MSG

Just my opinion
     Camden > Ottawa >St. Louis >Apollo Theater> MSG
    Just my opinion

Camden>
    >MSG>
    >St. Louis

Just my opinion too and based on shows I saw.

St. Louis had a bettet set list then MSG , but the combination of the atmosphere with crowd( loudest crowd of the MSG shows I've been to( 6 or 7) and 9/11 made it a special show.

Camden was GREAT!!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    I was worried about 3rd show in 3 days.  He was visibly tired and his voice was starting to go at the end, but he was great all night.  It is clear he is pacing himself better as far as not singing the more stressful songs, the slow sit down beginning and shorter sets.  I don't think he is the only one who is slowong down a little,  theyball looked spent